launch control for LPR: Estes Pro Series II + NiMH?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Launched a few rockets last weekend with my daughter, and the 9V-based cheapo launch controller really didn't cut it. So I am looking to upgrade to something that will launch the rocket *now* rather than "eventually, maybe". I want something that I can grow with, but for simple LPR stuff right now I really want the batteries to be internal, and I really want to use some of the rechargeables I have laying around.

So i'm leaning towards the Pro Series II controller with NiMH batteries. Somewhere around here I know have at least 6 NiMH Cs, which should give plenty of juice, but if I can't find them then I'm thinking of getting a battery holder for 8 AA batteries and using that (I am drowning in spare NiMH AA batteries that I just don't seem to use for much else any more.) I am not clear if there is room for the 8 AA pack inside the controller, since I haven't seen any pictures of the innards (anyone have any?) or the instructions, which aren't on Estes' site for some reason.

As far as I can tell, either option should be extremely solid for launching standard Estes igniters one at a time. Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad approach?

Not looking to build my own right now.

For the cost of the Pro Series II controller, you could easily add some cable and battery clips to your current controller, and, just use a jump start battery. That would light any low or mid power you might fly. But, you said you didn't want a seperate power source. However, at that same price point, you could easily build a simple controller that would use any power source you might want to use. One of the cheap little 5-10 dollar tool boxes could be made into a self contained controller, using your existing controller as the hand box. That's one thing I love about this hobby, you can get creative with every aspect involved.

David

I know you said you didn't want to build one but...
I recently built a controller that runs on 4 internal 'C' cells. It can also run on any external power source. Probably got 20 bucks tied up in it, and it can be done for a lot cheaper and in a much smaller case. The ATV switch takes up the most room. Ditching it for a simple plug connector would cut the required size by half. And it can use all different leads as well. Internals can be modified to use rechargeable packs and you wouldn't even have to go in to change batteries.

View attachment 268663

View attachment 268664

The batteries in it now have be used once, but they are several years old and read 1.24 amps across the "to rocket" lugs when buttons are pressed. Well, just thought I'd shared.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions.

My current controller is an Astron II; it is not worth the effort to modify it. I'll never really be happy with it, so why bother.

The Mighty D is very cute (hadn't seen that one before), but more expensive than the Pro II.

I think my real other alternative (given my own desires) is an Estes E Launch Controller, and see if it'll work with rechargeables (it should, but without a lot of margin). But that really only saves me a few bucks compared to the Pro II.

It is fair to say that if I built my own I could create exactly what I want without too much problem, but I'm not yet motivated to do it. Too much other stuff on the plate right now.

My leaning right now is the Pro II with either the 6 rechargeable C batteries, or, if there's room inside, for a 6-pack of rechargeable AA batteries, which would lighten it up quite a bit but still have way more than enough juice for what I'd need.

Whatever I choose I'll follow up here later with some performance tests.

Back