How about Wn 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that was included intentionally. It was that way in Win8 as well. I'm not sure why but I think they want to discourage image backups, which I think is silly. It is *my* preferred method of major backup.

View attachment 268943
Never had Win8 on anything I use regularly. It's on this Asus X205 that I bought for $99 at Staples on the last Black Friday and very rarely use:

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Notebooks/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/

Which reminds me that I've have to try the Win10 Pro installation on USB flash drive on it.

I got the free Win10 Pro by being a part of their insider program. I don't see how leaving Win7 references in it discourages anything so their reason for doing this is still a mystery, at least to me. Agree 100% on that drive image preference.

I did a manual upgrade, apparently win update didn't like the idea of using my 'slow' dsl connection. went to the win10 download page and got the media tool and 9 hours later I had win 10 installed (along w/ a big honking patch) most of which was spent downloading windows. I think they managed to make the process about as simple(and painless) as possible. I was suitably impressed when, win10 came up, not only did I get my wallpaper, it was the correct one(mine changes every hour, and the installer kept track of the time). I find it interesting what they didn't get rid of as well as what was included; windows media player stayed and a new dvd player was included (now I have 3 players to chose from :)). little disappointed with the solitaire program(it has ads...but wait, for a mere $10 a year you can get rid of the ads).
the new browser will not let you pin websites to the taskbar. there are undoubtably other annoyences I have not found yet.
Rex

my 'problem' with pinning them to the start menu, is that you don't get a nice icon. w/ ie11 TRF gets the rocket icon for the 'pinned site'. for edge all I get is the stylized 'e'.
Rex

my 'problem' with pinning them to the start menu, is that you don't get a nice icon. w/ ie11 TRF gets the rocket icon for the 'pinned site'. for edge all I get is the stylized 'e'.
Rex

I see. Well, you can still run IE11, which is still able to pin sites to the task bar. Look for it in "All Apps" under "Windows Accessories".

And then run Windows Feedback and tell them you'd like that feature in Edge.

How do you know what version to buy?
I went to the MSFT site to find out and [no surprise] their website is TOTALLY WORTHLESS.
Their comparison page shows a chart of the "differences" with every box checked in every version....as in NO DIFFERENCE.
Who in their right mind posts a comparison chart with nothing different shown?
How could they post this with a straight face?
Whomever posted the worthless chart should be sacked!
See it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

I found that chart actually pretty simple. For the core experience of Windows, it doesn't matter which version you buy.

If you want to run Windows in your business and need stuff like active directory, remote desktop access of your workstation, etc. buy Pro.

If you don't know why you'd need Enterprise, you don't need it.

For 95+% of those asking the question, the answer is Home.

Just upgrade whatever you already have.

If you're installing a completely new Windows installation, or installing over XP/2000/Vista, unless you know you need to join a Windows Domain (in a work environment) install the Home version. If you need to upgrade to Pro later, the penalty for doing it later is only $20. ($99 bucks vs $79 extra)

How do you know what version to buy?
I went to the MSFT site to find out and [no surprise] their website is TOTALLY WORTHLESS.
Their comparison page shows a chart of the "differences" with every box checked in every version....as in NO DIFFERENCE.
Who in their right mind posts a comparison chart with nothing different shown?
How could they post this with a straight face?
Whomever posted the worthless chart should be sacked!
See it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

It is a bit counterintuitive on the first look, but everything is there. Select "Core Experiences" to see what they all have in common and select "Business Experiences" to see the differences.

Reinhard

Edge can be a bit confusing at first since they changed icons(the star icon no longer takes you to your favorites) but, if you hover over them you get a brief description. FYI Don't fall for the latest email scam offering free windows upgrade! This is a nasty bit work, if you fall for it will encrypt all your files thereupon it will ransom them back to you for a price. from what I've read it uses a very nice encryption algorithm.
Rex

Meant to wait a little while but heard some great feedback from friends that transfered over already, so yesterday I moved my Windows 8.1 laptop to Win10. I have loaded Windows since 3.0 and many Linux distros over the years, and this was the easiest by far. Seamless and without a single hitch.

So far, Win10 appears to be 'smoother' than Win8.1 in how it does things. Startup and shutdown are about the same Win8 quickness, meaning a lot faster than Win7. My laptop has a few features that demand out of the way drivers, but the Win10 installation downloaded them all without any intervention needed.

So far, so good. Thinking about converting a Win7 desktop over as well.

We're a typical mid-size business, we just got rid of the last XP boxes... stayed with Win 7 and Server 2012 R2 domain controllers. By the time Microsoft sunsets Win 7, we'll probably have everything on the cloud and the desktops will be nothing but browsers anyway. Oh wait, isn't that what Win 10 is all about?

It is a bit counterintuitive on the first look, but everything is there. Select "Core Experiences" to see what they all have in common and select "Business Experiences" to see the differences.

I found that....
What's the point of the first page? Really?
You either put it all on one page or put a big "although you came here to get the differences, you need to click here for the real differences...this was just an ad."

Edge can be a bit confusing at first since they changed icons(the star icon no longer takes you to your favorites) but, if you hover over them you get a brief description. FYI Don't fall for the latest email scam offering free windows upgrade! This is a nasty bit work, if you fall for it will encrypt all your files thereupon it will ransom them back to you for a price. from what I've read it uses a very nice encryption algorithm.
Rex

Edge is basically still beta in all but name. There's supposed to be a significant update for it in the October timeframe. MS has said Edge will eventually support plugins (currently it does not), but I don't know if that's in the next update or not.

I'm still a little bit hesitant...... I guess I'll do it though.

Well, after reading this thread and hearing from colleagues at work who have told me that they didn't lose any programs previously installed then I've come to the conclusion that I must of selected a wrong button during the install process.

Right now Win 10 is working perfectly on my Laptop. However, my main PC will stay with Win 7.

I found that chart actually pretty simple. For the core experience of Windows, it doesn't matter which version you buy.

If you want to run Windows in your business and need stuff like active directory, remote desktop access of your workstation, etc. buy Pro.

If you don't know why you'd need Enterprise, you don't need it.<- The single best explanation ever written about this.

For 95+% of those asking the question, the answer is Home. I would go with >99% of the users here. Unless the educational license applies

cerving said:
We're a typical mid-size business, we just got rid of the last XP boxes...

Eight left out of 22,000

Last edited:
An annoying thing that started with Vista (or maybe Win 7) was that Remote Desktop server was disabled on anything less than the "Pro" package. I've always enabled RDP on my home desktop computers so I can access them from laptops elsewhere in the house, and log on as the user of that desktop PC. There have been hacks to enable this in non-Pro versions, which I used until I eventually just bought a Pro license for my main desktop. Still, I was hoping 10 would return to sanity, particularly with so many folks having tablets that can run an RDP client.

Oh well.

Still, if you don't need "legacy" functions like Windows Media Center, Win 10 looks nice. But I'm not upgrading anything... I still use WMC, and like my current experience.

Marc

Still, if you don't need "legacy" functions like Windows Media Center, Win 10 looks nice. But I'm not upgrading anything... I still use WMC, and like my current experience.

Marc

Do you use the TV and DVR functions of WMC, and if so, have you figured out the hiccup with the listings download? I haven't had a proper program listing in a couple of weeks, even though it says it has downloaded the listing successfully. I wanted to start recording Colbert when he comes on in September, but if this keeps up, I'll just go to Win10 on that machine and find some other TV software.

BTW, as far as I can tell RSAT is still not available for Win10. The tech preview (beta) is still out there, however it really is a rough copy and I would not bank production environment management on that version.

If you know of a finished version, please post the link.

If you don't know what RSAT is, don't worry -> it is something you will never miss.

Update: just heard from our account team that RSAT will be available "mid August". Whatever the heck that means.

Last edited:
Do you use the TV and DVR functions of WMC, and if so, have you figured out the hiccup with the listings download? I haven't had a proper program listing in a couple of weeks, even though it says it has downloaded the listing successfully. I wanted to start recording Colbert when he comes on in September, but if this keeps up, I'll just go to Win10 on that machine and find some other TV software.

Yeah. I use WMC for TV/DVR and as a shell for Emby Media Browser Classic or whatever they call Media Browser 3 these days. I was unaware of the guide listings hiccup. However, I just checked and yes I'm experiencing it. I'll have to investigate. I was away for 10 days on a family trip... seems the guide died while I was away.

Marc

EDIT:

I Googled around and found that MS switched guide data providers in July from Zap2It to Rovio. Or something like that. It's necessary to go into the WMC settings \ TV Signal \ and go through the TV Signal Setup screens. I've done this for one computer and am now starting it on the other... Took about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
For the past week Widows Update has been trying to install W 10 on my computer, every time being unsuccessful. I don't want W 10. Yesterday had a bunch of updates to W7 come thru. Any one else have this occurring? Bugs me that windows is attempting to do this when I don't want W10.

I upgrade for free a few days ago, I don't like what it did to my games. I prefer the classic look and feel of the games (I still can't find Internet Checkers) It's annoying about losing that, but not enough to uninstall. I figure if it can keep this machine running for a little longer, it'll save me money in the long run.

Oh, and I get this weird GREG error, but my computer is a Gateway, and I can't find the typical applications associated with the GREG error.

For the past week Widows Update has been trying to install W 10 on my computer, every time being unsuccessful. I don't want W 10. Yesterday had a bunch of updates to W7 come thru. Any one else have this occurring? Bugs me that windows is attempting to do this when I don't want W10.

It isn't actually trying to install Win10, but it is probing to see if you've got all the prerequisite Win7 patches. If you haven't asked for Win10, via the task bar app named "Get Windows 10" that has the Windows Flag as its icon, you won't get Win10. The computer I'm typing this on, my work PC, is Win7 and it has been doing that as well. I'm definitely going to upgrade this one when it is ready, but it isn't quite ready according to Microsoft. And it sounds like yours isn't ready, even if you wanted to upgrade. So don't worry about it. Eventually you'll get the "Get Windows 10" app on your task bar, and you can deal with it then.

Trust me, you'll want Win10 eventually.

I've no intention of upgrading, due to the fact the upgrade would remove critical functionality for me (Windows Media Center). I had to spend a fair amount of effort to remove that silly "Get Win 10" thing off my computer (had to uninstall a KB package). Then it came back when they re-pushed the same KB a month or two later, even though I had hidden that update so it wouldn't be automatically reapplied.

I wish MS built in a feature to allow me to tell them it ain't broke, and I ain't fixin' it.

Marc

Back