How about Wn 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a decent OS but both my main PCs do duty as home theater systems , and MS removed Windows Media Center support from Windows as of Win 10. So, I have no plans to upgrade either PC. The WMC features I use do have alternatives, but I like them the way they are. Boo on MS for killing WMC, though I am not surprised they killed it. It was poorly marketed and not updated in recent years :-(

It appears to be good, but be smart and wait a couple months before updating. Let some of the real world bugs get fixed first.

Don't be on the bleeding edge, wait for SP1 then adopt. MS has a proven track record on this one and there is no reasons to believe this release will be any different.

+1 mpitfield Computer professional for decades and have seen some of the issues MS has on first release. Although this is basically a big service pack to Win8.1 and the first couple of months should show any issues.

Many early adopters will be allowed to do so for free. I bet around SP1 time it will no longer be free. And, so far, every review I have read says it is the best of Win7 & Win8 put together.

My laptop has win 8.1 and I hate it. I'll install win 10 on it and see if I like it. If not then the laptop will get win 7 like all my other computers.

Yes Microsoft had an aggressive promotion for win7 ? 3 upgrade licences for $149 ? on line and in stores. .3 weeks after it went live.. sku quietly retired .

Maybe i will try on wifes notebook

Kenny

Don't be on the bleeding edge, wait for SP1 then adopt. MS has a proven track record on this one and there is no reasons to believe this release will be any different.

110% agree. I've been on the MSDN Betas with work for a few months now. It's pretty stable (except with PCI-e NAND drives) but I'm still holding out until SP1 for my own home machines. Win 7 has been rock solid for me.

Many early adopters will be allowed to do so for free. I bet around SP1 time it will no longer be free. And, so far, every review I have read says it is the best of Win7 & Win8 put together.

So is Classic Shell on 8.1 I got my new laptop earlier this year, going from Vista to 8.1, and was ready to throw it off my hotel balcony until I installed Classic Shell. That reduced my rage levels significantly.

Downloading right now.... Will take several hours, I guess.....

I don't agree with the title of the article I've linked to below and, actually, it doesn't even agree with what he says in the article. His bottom line: if you're using Win8 or 8.1, it's well worth it. Win7, it's not. Also, he says that it might be best to wait until October when it's more polished as Microsoft is rushing the release to meet the back-to-school PC buying season. I've been using the Win10 insider preview since it came out, have the latest release, and I like it although it's "meh" when it comes to any comparisons to Win7 which I've long used prior to this and still use on my other PCs. BTW, Win10 is supposed to be made available on a flash drive from Microsoft. There's at least one freeware tool that allows you to put Windows install disks onto bootable flash drives, but this will come directly from Microsoft.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/26/essential-software-for-windows-10/

And something to be aware of. Just change the default setting:

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

"Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant’s latest operating system — Windows 10. But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends!

This brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).

I first read about this disaster waiting to happen over at The Register, which noted that Microsoft’s Wi-Fi Sense FAQ seeks to reassure would-be Windows 10 users that the Wi-Fi password will be sent encrypted and stored encrypted — on a Microsoft server. According to PCGamer, if you use Windows 10’s “Express” settings during installation, Wi-Fi Sense is enabled by default."

Live on NEWEGG today $100 for HOME OEM and $140 for PRO OEM .

so not free and actually higher than previous OEM versions.

Kenny

I'll probably get it in a couple months, after there's been a few rounds of patching.

Support for virtual desktops sounds like a fantastic feature to me.

The joy of installing a brand new operating system. No network/internet. Funny thing is the network worked fine with the Windows 10 preview. Maybe the problems are related to the fact I did the Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade. It may work if I do a clean install but I am not sure how the free licensing will work with that.

Windows 10 No network.jpg

You have a year (until July 29, 2016) to upgrade from Win7, 8, or 8.1, for free. Once installed, you have up to a month to downgrade if you don't like it (though it won't put back Media Center if you had it).

As someone who really liked Win 8.1, my initial feelings about Win10 was it was a step backwards, but the blending now of old-style and Modern-style apps is much more seamless.

Live on NEWEGG today $100 for HOME OEM and $140 for PRO OEM .

so not free and actually higher than previous OEM versions.

Kenny

No, same prices as win8.1 (NewEgg may have reduced their discounts?) It IS free if you are upgrading in place (i.e. over the net, through Windows Update). OEM versions are not upgrades.

Installed Win 10 over Win 8.1 on my laptop today. It's running but it deleted all my installed programs. No matter, I'll reinstall them and see how far I get with the new operating system.

Are you sure it deleted programs? Did you do an upgrade through Windows Update or did you install from an ISO or USB stick image? I've now upgraded three of my five computers with no problems other than a mis-identified graphics card (though that was very annoying with blue screen reboots galore -- I could see a non-techie throwing their hands up in frustration over that)

Last edited:
I did the upgrade through windows update. What Windows did was rename the windows folder to old.windows or something like that.
Last thing I will do is copy the programs back the windows folder. Who knows how the registry is set up. It's no big deal for me but that shouldn't have happened.

I successfully installed Windows 10 on my Office PC and my Desktop at home. The only Major issue I have is Quicken 2015 has graphical glitches. Not a problem. Installed Virtual Box and Installing Windows 7 untill either, Microsoft, AMD (in case its a video driver problem) or Intuit solves the problem.

1.4 X 10^7 copies installed...my computer is not one of them. I did the 'reserve a copy thing', way my luck has been this past week... it will be mid September before I get a copy. lets see Saturday got home from Ecof and found a headlight trying to do the dangling eyeball bit. fix that. made dinner turned on the comp and read my email, brother was in hospital due to a mild heart attack. visited him on sunday and found that my neighbor was overdue calling home from his dive...we had the funeral yesterday, burial was today. get from that to find that the handle of my cooler broke. any guesses when I will get win 10?
Rex

Got my upgrade yesterday and all I can say is how much I love it! It has a few glitches which I'm sure will be ironed out but other than that, I really love the start menu and Cortana... she's my new best friend :p

Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

That's what the window was labelled when I did an image backup of my new SSD with Win10 Pro on it yesterday. In the rush to get this to market prior to the back-to-school PC buying, they missed some (hopefully minor) things.

Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

That's what the window was labelled when I did an image backup of my new SSD with Win10 Pro on it yesterday. In the rush to get this to market prior to the back-to-school PC buying, they missed some (hopefully minor) things.

No, that was included intentionally. It was that way in Win8 as well. I'm not sure why but I think they want to discourage image backups, which I think is silly. It is *my* preferred method of major backup.

forTRF.JPG

Last edited:
Back