Favorite 29mm Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's Your Favorite Style of 29mm Kit?

• Speed Demon ( e.g. Wildman Blackawk 29, Madcow Tomach)

• Bruisers (e.g. MDRM, LOC Onyx, AT Sumo)

• Jack of All Motors (e.g. Wildman Sport line, LOC Graduator, most AT kits)

• Bang for the Buck (Estes PSII)

• Beauty Queens (Scale/Futuristic, e.g. Madcow Bomarc, Sirius Interrogator G)

• Science Projects (clusters, multi-stage, clever DD)

• Oddrocs (e.g. Rocketarium Vortico, anything Art Applewhite)

Results are only viewable after voting.
29mm priority stealth. I've flown mine on F - G motors(personal faves are the AT F22 and the CTI G33 reloads) last flight I had to -gasp- walk 20' in the hot sun to recover it :).
Rex

I would say my AT Arcas. It's a good sized rocket that is cheap to fly. It performs well on any AT 29-40/120 G reload and really scoots on CTI 3 grain reload. My favorites are the H87 Imax and the G54 Red longburn. Now i have to try it on a 4 grain like the H151RL.

If I could find an unbuilt kit, I would get another of the Vaughn Brothers Rocketry Javelins... I certified Level 1 on a Javelin back in 1997.

Talon 2. Mine RIP. I like the AT Arcas but modified mine for DD. Don't go above an H128 without fin modifications or flutter will "get you". Kurt

Last edited:
MDRM...can't believe it's an Estes bagged kit for less than $50 (on sale) and built with wood glue! Three fins means easy to add rail buttons on one side while leaving lugs on the other and enough stuff on all sides to make it pretty all around. :wink:

Great straight boost on a ~$10 G64-4W reload:

image-ken-e-coyotes-mega-der-red-max-300-600-083115211602398.jpg
image-mdrm080215cjpg-300-600-080415225402105.jpg
image-mdrm080215djpg-300-600-083315213802908.jpg

Deploy was "perfect" as stated by announcer and it landed close to the pads on hard pack dirt with a "THUD!", but survived without a scratch since it was so sturdy. I could probably make a coffee table or lamp with it if I get tired of it. :grin:

Last edited:
Oh man....There are so many good ones. But I have to say the Estes Pro-Series II kits offer me the most bang for the buck. You get a good chute and a motor retainer. PLUS you can modify like crazy and even add dual deploy to any of them. I have seen Pro-Series rockets, built stock, take an I200-W with no problems. I like them all, but I simply love the Pro-Series II stuff. I truly hope they make more and keep these rockets around.

Also.....what is not to love about ANY of the Aerotech kits?!!! A G-Force was my first "big" rocket. Those were the days!

I also think...(I know, I talk to much)......that the G64-W is simply the best hobby motor out there (all this talk about 29's have got me in the mood to go shopping.....DANG IT!).

More white lines but a different motor. My Onyx on an AT H128W at this past weekend's METRA launch. Cooking!

DSC_0024-L.jpg

Public Missiles Mini-BBX, G to an I without breaking a sweat. Build it correctly and you can add the Terrier booster for a great step into 2 stage HPR. Hit it with an I357 in the booster and a H97 in the sustainer - then see the thread on RF trackers.

Public Missiles Mini-BBX, G to an I without breaking a sweat. Build it correctly and you can add the Terrier booster for a great step into 2 stage HPR. Hit it with an I357 in the booster and a H97 in the sustainer - then see the thread on RF trackers.

Yep...that's a good one, for certain!

Cheers,
Michael

Wildman Sport. It took me an hour to build and fly it every chance I get. Everything from F through level 1 with plenty of room for chute and tracker.
Launched it on an H163 for my level 1, most fun ever was the H410 Vmax. Shot off the rail and had me giggling for days... I still watch the video every time I need a chuckle. Love that damn rocket. Launched it on an F240 (24mm) with adapter, forgot to add a little BP and watched it fall from about 1000ft. Picked it up, and launched it two minutes later. Zero damage from the tumble (separation but no chute). Absolutely the most fun rocket in my fleet.
... Although, I did just pick up a Wildman Interceptor Sport. Same exact size as the Wildman Sport, but with a 38 hole (and different fins obviously). So it'll fly on all the same 29s, but with the option to punch a hole in the atmosphere should I choose to do so.
So, anything in Wildman's Sport line is a huge recommendation. Fat enough to fit stuff (minis are great, but too skinny for my liking), durable as you can get, and flies just about any 29 motor you can buy.

We have a 1000 ft waiver and land on concrete. My favorite is the Sumo and then the G-Force. Both are awesome. Both are tough, low and slow, and you can put all of the bigger mid-power G's in them and stay under 1000 ft.

OP should start a Poll at the top given that there is now a sampling of responses (can also add "Other"). :)

Hah! I would, but we've got 55 replies and probably 30 different answers so far. Maybe I could go by series - e.g. Wildman Sport, Estes PSII, Madcow, etc.

BTW, anyone flown the Wildman Darkstar Lite? I'm kind of coveting it as a first fiberglass bird. I find the Sport kits a bit short/squat, but the longer body tube and Von Karman cone on the Lite give it very nice lines to my eye. The 2.6" is a heck of a deal right now, but 54mm is a lot more motor than I currently fly, and I think the short ogive is detrimental to the looks of that design.

Ditch the sensible, easy, high and straight flying, good recovering 3-4FNC stuff. Be a real man and feel the PAIN! Get a Madcow BOMARC, skill level 5 and finish it to perfection!. Put all your effort, money and time into a silly airplane rocket. Go up to the high power guys and say "YES, I would like a 1/4 inch ROD to fly this." YES, I can assure you it is stable. YES, it will be low and slow even on an H. NO, I have not heard the stories of it almost taking folks out after all that stinkin' nose weight has broken loose.

Can you balance it while still using fancy motor retention? What is the biggest 29mm you can find to avoid launch speed embarrassment in front of all your high power buddies? Can you rip it off the pad and fly in some wind? Will it get scratched? Can you take the damage and not cry in front of everyone? FEEL THE PAIN!

Last edited:
Ditch the sensible, easy, high and straight flying, good recovering 3-4FNC stuff. Be a real man and feel the PAIN! Get a Madcow BOMARC, skill level 5 and finish it to perfection!. Put all your effort, money and time into a silly airplane rocket. Go up to the high power guys and say "YES, I would like a 1/4 inch ROD to fly this." YES, I can assure you it is stable. YES, it will be low and slow even on an H. NO, I have not heard the stories of it almost taking folks out after all that stinkin' nose weight has broken loose.

Can you balance it while still using fancy motor retention? What is the biggest 29mm you can find to avoid launch speed embarrassment in front of all your high power buddies? Can you rip it off the pad and fly in some wind? Will it get scratched? Can you take the damage and not cry in front of everyone? FEEL THE PAIN!

Haha! I have a MC Bomarc I haven't primed yet and I've put this one on the shelf since I'm not happy/sure of it. I'll be using rail buttons though since it's so heavy it's likely to do some serious rod whipping!

Dare to be different -> Rocketarium Turbo Vortico!!!

I get lots of "what's that" and "that's cool" comments on mine.

Action shot from naramlive.com on an F27-4:

IMG_0450.JPG

It's the red and white one, next to it's 24mm sibling in yellow and purple. (Full disclosure - I have a prototype model.)

IMG_1159.jpg

Hah! I would, but we've got 55 replies and probably 30 different answers so far. Maybe I could go by series - e.g. Wildman Sport, Estes PSII, Madcow, etc.

BTW, anyone flown the Wildman Darkstar Lite? I'm kind of coveting it as a first fiberglass bird. I find the Sport kits a bit short/squat, but the longer body tube and Von Karman cone on the Lite give it very nice lines to my eye. The 2.6" is a heck of a deal right now, but 54mm is a lot more motor than I currently fly, and I think the short ogive is detrimental to the looks of that design.

I really like my DS mini. It might just be my most flown 29mm bird. It is great on an F44 with a 24mm adaptor. I'd imagine some heroes on here pound their DS mini up over a mile on H/I loads but I kinda like to keep mine in sight on Fs and Gs.

Given that there is a DD option (though not the easiest setup due to space) only adds to the diversity of this kit. I say go for it. Oh, it looks great too but I've been told that it is the invisible rocket when on the pad (it's not all that much wider than a 1010 rail).

Back