Favorite 29mm Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's Your Favorite Style of 29mm Kit?

• Speed Demon ( e.g. Wildman Blackawk 29, Madcow Tomach)

• Bruisers (e.g. MDRM, LOC Onyx, AT Sumo)

• Jack of All Motors (e.g. Wildman Sport line, LOC Graduator, most AT kits)

• Bang for the Buck (Estes PSII)

• Beauty Queens (Scale/Futuristic, e.g. Madcow Bomarc, Sirius Interrogator G)

• Science Projects (clusters, multi-stage, clever DD)

• Oddrocs (e.g. Rocketarium Vortico, anything Art Applewhite)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oberon

Reaction score
For me, 29mm motors seem like a nice sweet spot for motors - wide range of impulses from E all the way to I, lots of non-HAZMAT options (at least from Aerotech). Not too much more pricy than 24mm, still quite a bit cheaper than 38mm.

So what's your favorite bird to stick 'em in? What do you find yourself flying over and over again (or at least wishing you were)? What kit do you lust over when you see it? Ideally, you'd have a good looking, reliable rocket that flies nice (and recoverable) on as much of the wide range of 29mm motors as possible.

Caveats: kits only, with STOCK 29mm mounts (selfishly, I'm hoping to inspire a shopping list for myself).

wildman mini kits, madcow mini kits, estes PSII kits. All work well on 29mm.

The four I have are Aerotech Sumo, Aerotech G-Force, Estes Leviathan, Estes MDRM. That's what I have, so that's what I fly. Not looking to build any more 29s for a while.

Any of the Cosmodrome kits. The Aerobee Hi (29 to 29) is probably my favorite!

Aerotech Astrobee D could be a close second.

Cheers,
Michael

I'm cheating :) about 21 flights on my Optima clone. Flies an anything from an F50T to an I200W. Slap a motor in and go. I love it.
My second favorite? a 4" 29mm x 2 cluster. Logical next build? 2x29 Optima :)

I agree.... 29mm Aerotech is an awesome spot in rocketry.

https://dbmccann.wordpress.com/optima/

Last edited:
I really like my daughter's 4" LOC Warlock. It's not listed on their site, but they will kit one up for you if you call them.

The only other 29mm kit that had caught my eye is the Sirius Eradicator. it's roughly the same size as a Leviathan but it looks a lot more interesting.

IMG_2841.jpg

Wildman Drago. It's a G eater with 7 seconds delay. flew mine so much that I ended up loosing the nose cone. Replaced it with a darkstar JR cone, now I got the "Dark Drago" that all in the northeast fear.....outfitted with a 8 inch CATO chute it just doesn't drift.....

I like the wildman sport kits (I fly the vindicator sport myself). Small enough to fly on an F, but big/heavy enough that it doesn't go into outer space.

I like the Aerotech Sumo & the Wildman Jart. Sumo is a slow & low flyer and the Jart will get up there!

My favorite motors are 29mm. They are the perfect balance between performance and cost and without a doubt my favorite 29mm kit is the LOC Onyx. I have easily flown more Onyx flights than all others combined. Here is my latest one, slightly modified but an Onyx none the less.

DSC_0001-L.jpg

Aerotech Arreaux.

Currently modifying mine with a AV bay and DD payload bay. Mo' Fun!

My favorite motors are 29mm. They are the perfect balance between performance and cost and without a doubt my favorite 29mm kit is the LOC Onyx. I have easily flown more Onyx flights than all others combined. Here is my latest one, slightly modified but an Onyx none the less.

DSC_0001-L.jpg

That came out really nice man.

Thanks. It's a fun rocket for sure. This week I am planning on an H128W if the winds are in my favor.

I have six 29mm rockets. Which one is my favorite? Well, Azizi likes the highest and fastest flying rockets and I like any one of them that doesn't cato, flies straight and returns under a chute.

I have six 29mm rockets. Which one is my favorite? Well, Azizi likes the highest and fastest flying rockets and I like any one of them that doesn't cato, flies straight and returns under a chute.

You and I think alike.:cyclops:

I've flown the heck out of my WildChild - it's a great "whoosh-pop" rocket that's easy to fly, handles a super wide range of motors (most inexpensive), takes a beating and doesn't need to be babied, etc. It's just a great workhorse rocket that flies (very well) pretty much every time I head out to the range. Can't go wrong with this rocket.

That said, I picked up a WildmanSport last year, and that rocket has quickly become another "rocket that I fly all the time" as well - perhaps even more than the WildChild. Can't go wrong with this either.

I've bought second kits of both of these models, added AV bays and payload sections, and made them both Dual Deploy rockets that I can put altimeters and trackers into and so fly bigger motors and go for some altitude. Love these in my fleet as well.

s6

There are lots of options. I like the black hawk 29 mm from wildman.

For right now, I'd have to say the Estes Scion, as I just got my L1 with it.

scion032.JPG

Let me tell you the work Jarrett does. The fins feel like smooth plastic, not wood. Fillets exactly perfect to the hundredth of a inch

I love 29mm motors. I like the 38mm mini's and the 54mm wildman sports are also really nice. the 54 has a little more room for the chute and flies a little lower than the 38's.

Let me tell you the work Jarrett does. The fins feel like smooth plastic, not wood. Fillets exactly perfect to the hundredth of a inch

Thanks Rick. Those particular fins are a cheated effort, they are glassed so they sort of are plastic. BTW, that aft closure is still stuck!

If you want to go out of the same old thing, try a Hawk Raptor. Go smooth on an F, and if you dare, snaps your neck on an I. Long tall sally that one is! I know mine has 30 or more flights on it. Damn thing is a tank!

Back