Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0001 (43).jpg Here is the S-1VB interstage retro-rocket along with the flat face plate that I cut out of .030" styrene. This will simply be mounted on top of the plate and then primered, painted and glued on the interstage after it is fully painted. I'm just now starting with the detail work so things should start to pick up as far as interest is concerned. I'm moving away from the ordinary construction sequences and moving into the detail now. Lots of fun!

IMG_0001 (44).jpg The first retrorocket attached to the S-1VB Interstage unit. I've only got approximately 30 stringers attached out of maybe 147 so it's going to be a long road to get to the end for me on this.

After this you can go into business making artisanal lampshades.

I can only imagine the tedium of putting those in one by one, but it is looking great. Are you planning to actually launch this thing? I don't think I could do it.

After this you can go into business making artisanal lampshades.

I can only imagine the tedium of putting those in one by one, but it is looking great. Are you planning to actually launch this thing? I don't think I could do it.

Now THAT'S some funny sh$t! Yes, I'll need to do my cert with this. Probably fly it on a J-275W. Thanks.

that is AWESOME! If you don't go into lampshades...maybe Boeing will hire you if they put the Saturn V back into production!

View attachment 300373 The first retrorocket attached to the S-1VB Interstage unit. I've only got approximately 30 stringers attached out of maybe 147 so it's going to be a long road to get to the end for me on this.

IMG_0001 (45).jpg Nothing new here outside of more stringers and a second retro-rocket in place. All in all 59 stringers glued down with 83 more to go. CRAP!:facepalm:

IMG_0001 (46).jpg IMG_0002 (20).jpg Since the time I took photos of the interstage I managed to do get this done. Didn't take too long. This is the SM wrap which was CA'd to the SM body tube made from cardboard. It helped to actually bring more breadth out of the SM tube. Yes, that seam looks horrid but I'll bet my reputation I'll make it disappear once filling and sanding get underway.

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (48).jpg After sanding the seam line. I'll shoot a thin coat of primer on this next to find any more flaws that need to be addressed.

IMG_0001 (49).jpg Sure enough, the seam is raised above the rest of the cardboard wrap so more sanding and filling is required.

Lookin' good. One color sure does make it easier to spot height changes.

IMG_0002 (21).jpg IMG_0003 (8).jpg IMG_0002 (22).jpg I've now started with the brass photo etched and resin parts on the SM. You will notice a slight offset with the vertical brass piece and the resin radiator panel above it. This is shown in the drawings so I simply replicated the positions according to the drawings.

Sweet. Those brass etched parts are nice. I thought about using a set and some LED lighting in a BSG Viper I did a while back.

Sweet. Those brass etched parts are nice. I thought about using a set and some LED lighting in a BSG Viper I did a while back.

Thank you. It's a relatively simple way of adding greater detail that probably could have only been achieved by total scratch building.

I imagine it is an order of magnitude easier that putting the rivets on by hand like you did with the other model.

I imagine it is an order of magnitude easier that putting the rivets on by hand like you did with the other model.

Yes, it is. Though I started out using glue dots, I finally used 3D resin water slide decals to the final product. Again, much easier than the glue dots I started off with.

Been in a bit of a slump lately and haven't done squat on this. Hope it changes soon.

Quality work takes time. Scale models even more so.
I tend to work in phases, I get bored, have a different project to switch to, or take a breather to look at materials, or other's peoples projects and fabrication methods - or just research on a new detail to get re-inspired.

I've attached a few more stringers to the interstage with about 47 more to go with 96 already laid down.

Back