Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg After fitting the fin and shroud assemblies on the main tube I discovered they were more warped than I had been able to see with the assemblies off. The fins just weren't lining up at perpendicular angles to each other due to the warpage. So I had ordered a 3 1/8th tube from Apogee and have now decided to make them from scratch using the included pattern you used to use in the original version rather than the thick plastic ones.
I have two of the shrouds drawn onto the tube as you MIGHT be able to see. After cutting them out, I'll try fitting them with the fins in place and then onto the main tube again. I'll probably wind up destroying the plastic shrouds just to remove the fins which I've already CA'd into place but what the hell. It's part of model building folks. Once everything is worked out I'll CA 1 mm x 1 mm stringers in place as the pattern designates.

IMG_0001 (1).jpg IMG_0002 (1).jpg IMG_0003 (1).jpg One of the shrouds having been cut from the 3 1/8" tube with 1/4" x 3/8" horizontal brace and fin temporarily installed. Will need to sand around the cut edges to clean things up. Once installed, I'll CA the stringers on. (I still need to order these as they did not come with the newer version of this kit).

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (2).jpg IMG_0002 (2).jpg I'm using the pinhole method of transferring the lines onto the fin shrouds. Then use low tack 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape to lay the actual lines down as a straight edge.

Waiting for my 1 mm. x 1 mm. stringers to come so I can cut and glue them onto the fin shrouds. They should be here by Saturday. I suppose I could glue the fin/shroud assemblies on now, then lay the stringers down which I think would be better at reducing any unwanted twisting in the shrouds prior to attachment to the main BT.

IMG_0002 (4).jpg I've also received the 1 mm. x 1 mm. strips for the shrouds and have one shroud done half way. Pretty easy and less tedious than I anticipated.

IMG_0001 (9).jpg And now I've got two of these things done. There is some tedium in this, yet it does in the end go rather quickly when all is said and done. After the other two are done, attachment to the main BT will be next followed by covering the bottom of the shrouds with .030 styrene and the fitting of the motor mount tube.

I've discovered that the template for marking the fin locations is just as bad off on this Saturn kit as the one for the MR kit by Sheri's. Is this a pattern? I've got to redo the cutouts now. It's not a big deal in the end as the botched up job will be covered for the most part. Just disappointed that a second kit from this manufacturer had the same problem on two different kits.

IMG_0001 (10).jpg IMG_0002 (5).jpg The fin/shroud assemblies have now been glued on the main BT along with the stringers. Now on to the bottom shroud covers (from .030 styrene) followed by the engine tube. I'll be using the 54 mm. option for this with Aero Pack Quick Change Motor Retainer.

IMG_0001 (12).jpg IMG_0002 (6).jpg The lower end wrappers were NOT cut to shape from Red Arrow Hobbies as the photos had shown. I had to create my own pattern (as none were supplied) to make these. I even wound up short one having three of these little squares instead of four which Dave had sent out. The quality of this kit has been leaving something to be desired as the CM does not fit into SM BT either. No support ring for the tower was included though I had distinctly remembered photos on Sheri's site not RA showing one being included.
I now notice Dave has a support ring in the photos lately as well as a different fin design which no longer has the plywood fin structure as an integral part of the fins anymore. The instructions make no mention of the support ring either. Whether or not things have changed is something I know nothing about at this time. I'm curious if anyone has bought one of these since mid 2013 as I had and what issues if any they may have had.

At the risk of being repetitive, that's excellent work.

IMG_0001 (14).jpg IMG_0002 (8).jpg I've sanded down one end of the motor mount tube for better adhesion for the motor sustainer rings using J-B Weld.

Last edited:
I like the epoxy cone on the eyebolt. I suspect the eye would open up before the anchor came out.

I like the epoxy cone on the eyebolt. I suspect the eye would open up before the anchor came out.

It was quite therapeutic just smoothing that thing out. Like working with clay and a wheel. Damn near put me to sleep. Maybe a second eye bolt....

IMG_0001 (17).jpg The inside diameter of the tube is 9-1/8" while the shoulder of the capsule is 9-1/2" in diameter. It won't fit. Another example of sloppy engineering. I've gone ahead and ordered a capsule and tower from Shapeways and will wait to see what I get. I've ordered from them before and got fantastic products from them!

Back