Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.


Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 375
  1. #31
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    We've been having contractors over giving us estimates for roofing and kitchen remodeling and it's been making me (for whatever reasons) want to start on the Saturn V. I still have yet to finish the Mercury Redstone but that just burned me out. It was mostly the damage I incurred removing the masking tape that threw me a curve ball and I fell into a funk since. I need to use a high quality, low tack tape which was where I failed. The stuff I had just pulled up too much of the finish.
    The build itself on the Saturn V is quite straight forward and simple. The challenge for these models always comes from the paint job with a lot of masking. This thing will take a fair amount of primer and paint requiring a ton of filling and sanding. It seems like a fresh start approach by getting this going rather than dorking around with the Mercury Redstone. Well, the roofing contractor is here and I need to get going.

    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    1st September 2011
    Location
    Greencastle, IN
    Posts
    1,567
    Yes finish it! Been following since the start . Wounds are liked clean , get back on the wagon - this will be a masterpiece when you are done!

    L1 - Ash Grove RIP L2 - OAMC - Tripoli OH - L3 - Mid West Power
    NAR - 96297 TRA-15713
    2016 burned - 24824 Ns
    2017 burned to date - 28496.0 Ns

  3. #33
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@JET View Post
    Yes finish it! Been following since the start . Wounds are liked clean , get back on the wagon - this will be a masterpiece when you are done!
    The Redstone?
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  4. #34
    Join Date
    1st September 2011
    Location
    Greencastle, IN
    Posts
    1,567
    Yes maybe that was it
    L1 - Ash Grove RIP L2 - OAMC - Tripoli OH - L3 - Mid West Power
    NAR - 96297 TRA-15713
    2016 burned - 24824 Ns
    2017 burned to date - 28496.0 Ns

  5. #35
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Virginia - Central
    Posts
    4,001

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    We've been having contractors over giving us estimates for roofing and kitchen remodeling and it's been making me (for whatever reasons) want to start on the Saturn V. I still have yet to finish the Mercury Redstone but that just burned me out. It was mostly the damage I incurred removing the masking tape that threw me a curve ball and I fell into a funk since. I need to use a high quality, low tack tape which was where I failed. The stuff I had just pulled up too much of the finish.
    The build itself on the Saturn V is quite straight forward and simple. The challenge for these models always comes from the paint job with a lot of masking. This thing will take a fair amount of primer and paint requiring a ton of filling and sanding. It seems like a fresh start approach by getting this going rather than dorking around with the Mercury Redstone. Well, the roofing contractor is here and I need to get going.
    Well you are too far into it NOT to finish it.
    If you can't, well, just ship it all to me and I'll take over.

    BTW: Love your signature line there........

    at the 2:21:05 mark here:



    My favorite part of the movie:
    Last edited by MaxQ; 9th June 2016 at 03:16 AM.
    We got two categories of pilots around here. We got your prime pilots that get all the hot planes, and we got your pud-knockers who DREAM about getting the hot planes.
    Now what are you two pud-knockers gonna have?... Huh?
    Pancho Barnes-
    The Right Stuff
    http://www.mwavs.com/0053148414/M4RS...udknockers.m4r

    Tripoli #2747

  6. #36
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	293499 The fins have already been assembled from Red Arrow Hobbies so no work there. However, plenty of filling and sanding will need to be done.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  7. #37
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
    Well you are too far into it NOT to finish it.
    If you can't, well, just ship it all to me and I'll take over.

    BTW: Love your signature line there........

    at the 2:21:05 mark here:



    My favorite part of the movie:
    Someone's on top of things here. I figured it would be a far reach for most anyone. It's the very last lines spoken in this excellent movie. The engine turning over scene is one of my all time favorites!
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	293525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	293526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	293527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	293528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	293529 These are the fin shrouds as I got them from Red Arrow Hobbies. I'm not very impressed with the way that three of them warped like you see so I may very well either wrap them around a 3 1/4" tube and use a heat gun on them or chuck them and build them from scratch using the patterns that came with the kit. Good thing they kept the patterns on the plans as it would simply be more work to make my own.
    The original kit gave you a length of 3 1/4" tube to cut the shrouds from using the supplied patterns. In this version you get 1/8" thick styrene pieces with the ribs molded in. All in all, not very happy with these botched up pieces.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  9. #39
    Join Date
    20th February 2009
    Location
    Cayuga, Indiana
    Posts
    12,896

    Sheri's Saturn V.

    I have to ask... Hasn't the poor mold/parts quality been an ongoing issue from day one with these kits? I thought this was one of the reasons the designs never transitioned when Red Arrow bought the business. I would have thought warping problems like the above would be expected as part of the building "challenge"?
    Last edited by dixontj93060; 9th June 2016 at 12:29 PM.
    L3, TRA #11847
    Tripoli Indiana #132
    Tripoli Central Illinois #59
    Central Illinois Aerospace (NAR) #527
    Chicago Rocket Mafia, "Big Bucks" Dixon
    ___________________________________

    Quiet little voices creep into my head. -- We Were Promised Jetpacks

  10. #40
    Join Date
    8th May 2012
    Location
    Southern, CA
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by dixontj93060 View Post
    I have to ask... Hasn't the poor mold/parts quality been an ongoing issue from day one with these kits? I thought this was one of the reasons the designs never transitioned when Red Arrow bought the business. I would have thought warping problems like the above would be expected as part of the building "challenge"?
    Probably so, but if you are paying that kind of money for a kit you shouldn't have these challenges. It's a challenge just putting the thing together without warped parts to deal with. Just my
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

  11. #41
    Join Date
    20th February 2009
    Location
    Cayuga, Indiana
    Posts
    12,896
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post
    Probably so, but if you are paying that kind of money for a kit you shouldn't have these challenges. It's a challenge just putting the thing together without warped parts to deal with. Just my
    No arguing that, but still, a well-known issue/risk.
    L3, TRA #11847
    Tripoli Indiana #132
    Tripoli Central Illinois #59
    Central Illinois Aerospace (NAR) #527
    Chicago Rocket Mafia, "Big Bucks" Dixon
    ___________________________________

    Quiet little voices creep into my head. -- We Were Promised Jetpacks

  12. #42
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	293528
    These are the fin shrouds as I got them from Red Arrow Hobbies. I'm not very impressed with the way that three of them warped like you see so I may very well either wrap them around a 3 1/4" tube and use a heat gun on them or chuck them and build them from scratch using the patterns that came with the kit. Good thing they kept the patterns on the plans as it would simply be more work to make my own.
    The original kit gave you a length of 3 1/4" tube to cut the shrouds from using the supplied patterns. In this version you get 1/8" thick styrene pieces with the ribs molded in. All in all, not very happy with these botched up pieces.
    I wouldn't be happy with these fairing shrouds either! But I would imagine they would be very hard to mold.
    The fairings pictured on the website look round-
    http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/SATV.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat V Fairings.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	293539

    Maybe that's why Sheri was pictured holding the rockets to distract you from the details.
    Hans "Chris" Michielssen
    Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

    www.oddlrockets.com
    www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
    http://www.nar.org/educational-resou...ng-techniques/
    Your results may vary
    "Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
    Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
    Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!

  13. #43
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by dixontj93060 View Post
    I have to ask... Hasn't the poor mold/parts quality been an ongoing issue from day one with these kits? I thought this was one of the reasons the designs never transitioned when Red Arrow bought the business. I would have thought warping problems like the above would be expected as part of the building "challenge"?
    To be honest I never knew of such issues. But as AfterBurners stated, in paying this kind of money I would damn well expect better quality. I had no such issues with the Mercury Redstone so no suspicions were raised in ordering this back in 2013.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  14. #44
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    I've been looking into Shapeways again to find anything that might help me here and did find some fin shrouds along with the fins themselves molded in to acquire. This is yet another possibility. What I have done is order a LOC BT from Apogee with some of their orange tracking powder and also try building them from scratch. I will still need 1 mm x 1 mm strips for the stringers in addition. Might as well stock up on some CA glue while I'm at it.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  15. #45
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    I've been wondering what to use as an ejection system, do I use the charge from the motor or go electronic deployment or both? I figure a J275 on a cert. 2 attempt. Also is there a way to deploy the chutes without getting tangled with each other as there will be three of these total. I'm using Rocket Man 5 ft. standard chutes which only have four lines to reduce tangles, (nice idea if you ask me).
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  16. #46
    Join Date
    8th May 2012
    Location
    Southern, CA
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by dixontj93060 View Post
    No arguing that, but still, a well-known issue/risk.
    Ditto!

    Nice kits just wish more time and thought was put into the design of the parts
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

  17. #47
    Join Date
    8th May 2012
    Location
    Southern, CA
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by hcmbanjo View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with these fairing shrouds either! But I would imagine they would be very hard to mold.
    The fairings pictured on the website look round-
    http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/SATV.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat V Fairings.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	293539

    Maybe that's why Sheri was pictured holding the rockets to distract you from the details.
    She is hot almost forgot she was holding a rocket.
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

  18. #48
    Join Date
    7th July 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post
    She is hot almost forgot she was holding a rocket.
    Holding a rocket...was she holding something.
    Michael Pitfield
    TRA 14579 L2
    NAPAS BoD
    URRG
    MARS
    CRC

  19. #49
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    [QUOTE=mpitfield;1593571]Holding a rocket...was she holding something.[/Q

    Like she owned it.
    Last edited by Steven; 16th June 2016 at 01:11 AM.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  20. #50
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    I've just applied heat from my heat gun to the fin shrouds to get them into some kind of decent shape and it looks like I've made some headway. It appears that in the cooling process, things change a bit so I'll have to Mickey Mouse things around to get the final shape. I may just as well keep them as they initially turned out as they are still better off now then they were when I first received them.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  21. #51
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	294223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	294224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	294225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	294226 This is the end result of my applying heat to them and bending them around a 3 1/8" tube as a mandrel of sorts.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  22. #52
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    Burlington, NC
    Posts
    1,338
    Mabey you could cut a ring with the shape of the fairings in it for the aft end to help straighten them out.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Mabey you could cut a ring with the shape of the fairings in it for the aft end to help straighten them out.
    These are still somewhat pliable and I'll use some internal bracing at the aft end as the instructions show. After installation, the bottom of the fairing will be covered by .030 sheet styrene.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  24. #54
    Join Date
    8th May 2012
    Location
    Southern, CA
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	294223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	294224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	294225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	294226 This is the end result of my applying heat to them and bending them around a 3 1/8" tube as a mandrel of sorts.
    I'm curious did you use a heat gun? Nice to know if I ever run into the same type of problem on future builds
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

  25. #55
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post
    I'm curious did you use a heat gun? Nice to know if I ever run into the same type of problem on future builds
    Yup, the same gun I've been using on my RC aircraft coverings to heat shrink them. I laid the shroud on a 3 1/8" tube (same dia. tube used for cutting out the shrouds on the older version) applied heat, worked the shroud around the tube and repeated till I got the results you see. I could use more but I'll see after I glue the internal bracing in place.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  26. #56
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	294254 I now have a shroud with a 3/8" x 1/4" balsa brace CA'd in place. I'll see how this fits on the main tube, sand, heat, file to fit and then use 5 min. epoxy to glue brace in. I'll start off using CA to glue the shrouds on the main tube then 5 min. epoxy to add strength. You can see the shape is MUCH better than before with no additional heating required.
    Last edited by Steven; 16th June 2016 at 06:55 AM.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  27. #57
    Join Date
    20th February 2009
    Location
    Cayuga, Indiana
    Posts
    12,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	294223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	294224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	294225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	294226 This is the end result of my applying heat to them and bending them around a 3 1/8" tube as a mandrel of sorts.
    They look good!
    L3, TRA #11847
    Tripoli Indiana #132
    Tripoli Central Illinois #59
    Central Illinois Aerospace (NAR) #527
    Chicago Rocket Mafia, "Big Bucks" Dixon
    ___________________________________

    Quiet little voices creep into my head. -- We Were Promised Jetpacks

  28. #58
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by dixontj93060 View Post
    They look good!
    They did turn out better thanks.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  29. #59
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	294255 With the fin installed but not yet glued in.
    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

  30. #60
    Join Date
    17th September 2013
    Location
    MY Country, Wa.
    Posts
    1,605
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	294308 These are the styrene alignment tabs that will align the fin to the shroud cross brace.

    "Meters Mr. Towns, meters."

Similar Threads

  1. Sheri's Saturn V
    By Steven in forum Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 24th December 2014, 07:41 PM
  2. Sheri's Hot Rocket Saturn V
    By Bravo52 in forum Yard Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th August 2009, 03:48 PM
  3. Sheri's Saturn 1B at NARAM-50
    By Rocketcrab in forum Regional or Local Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th August 2008, 01:42 AM
  4. Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn 1B ???
    By Flash in forum Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 2nd February 2008, 07:39 AM
  5. Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn V
    By jadebox in forum High Power Rocketry (HPR)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 5th August 2007, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •