Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! It's been a phase thing. It comes and goes over time and you just flat out deal with it. I've always managed to overcome the down side so this too will pass. I know it. Any wagers out there?

I bet you’ll finish it! And if you choose not to, you still have a very interesting build thread and serve as a great ambassador by publicly building this model.

Steven, I sincerely hope you finish this build. And allow it to be shown, either by yourself or a representative. This would be excellent for scale competition.

I was wondering (having problems myself) if anyone can show me a source for the color of the umbilical connections all across the Saturn V. It will be GREATLY appreciated!

Trying to talk myself into filling in the tube spirals on the first stage. They've already been taped off.

IMG_0003 (9).jpg IMG_0002 (20).jpg IMG_0001 (48).jpg Two of the resin pieces that came with this kit were measurably undersized as you can see in the comparison on the drawings. So once again I had to manufacture my own parts to match the scale I needed. I then taped a section of sandpaper onto the second stage where these will go to sand a semi-round shape on the bottom of these two for a better fit.

Sealing more of these wooden pieces with that "Mod Podge" filler. Nothing really to display here. So far it seems to be as effective as anything else without the offensive smell from some other alternatives.

Getting more sealing done. I'm presently sealing the two systems tunnels found on the first stage. I apply four coats with sanding in between. The pieces on the third stage are done, (see any reference photos), the systems tunnel on the second stage is done, oops, I made a mistake, there is one tunnel cover on the third stage to be done. It is the larger of the two. BTW, Merry Christmas everyone and don't drive anywhere if you must drink. I want to know everyone is safe here. :tree:

Getting more sealing done. I'm presently sealing the two systems tunnels found on the first stage. I apply four coats with sanding in between. The pieces on the third stage are done, (see any reference photos), the systems tunnel on the second stage is done, oops, I made a mistake, there is one tunnel cover on the third stage to be done. It is the larger of the two. BTW, Merry Christmas everyone and don't drive anywhere if you must drink. I want to know everyone is safe here. :tree:

I wish I were half the artist you are.

Merry Christmas to you also!

IMG_0002 (22).jpgIMG_0003 (10).jpg Using .030 and .010 scrap plastic behind the liquid hydrogen fairings to fill in the gaps made by the corrugated and sheet styrene details.

Nothing happening for a few weeks. The two first stage systems tunnel will be treated in a similar manner as the liquid hydrogen fairings were. Because I was getting down to the last remnants of my .030 sheet plastic, I had to use five or six pieces per tunnel. So gluing these pieces on the backs of the tunnels will be next. I still need to fill the spirals on the lower half as well. At some point, the SLA and IU will need a second coat of thinned epoxy to fill in the layered sections from 3D printing. After this, I very well may be ready to shoot the first coat of primer.

I had gone to Starbucks a few days ago and managed to get something done. I glued on 0.030 strips on the backside of the two first stage systems tunnels to take up any gap between the corrugated sections and bare cardboard tube. I might post pictures of this later.

Good to see you're back at it.

Thank you Bat. It's my second day on an anti-depressant. This may pull me out of things. So far, though I'm not attributing the meds to this, I've been given a reprieve and managed to get out. Folks there were missing me. One gal had inadvertently tripped over herself saying hi to me. I felt bad. She didn't fall or injure herself, I still felt bad for her. It's been a privilege and an honor working here at this particular Starbucks. Fantastic AND understanding group of people here!

Thank you Bat. It's my second day on an anti-depressant. This may pull me out of things. So far, though I'm not attributing the meds to this, I've been given a reprieve and managed to get out. Folks there were missing me. One gal had inadvertently tripped over herself saying hi to me. I felt bad. She didn't fall or injure herself, I still felt bad for her. It's been a privilege and an honor working here at this particular Starbucks. Fantastic AND understanding group of people here!

They should use you in a commercial: "Starbucks -- it isn't just for coffee!" :)

I think I'll feel kind of sad when this build ends. It started almost exactly when I became a BAR, and so it has kind of always been part of the landscape here since I joined the forum. But I'm still rooting for it to come to completion and can't wait to see the final product.

I think I'll feel kind of sad when this build ends. It started almost exactly when I became a BAR, and so it has kind of always been part of the landscape here since I joined the forum. But I'm still rooting for it to come to completion and can't wait to see the final product.

That's the pitfall of model rocket building, it pretty well has an ending in sight as far as the actual building is concerned. Train layouts seem to be perpetual, in that you're always adding something to the layout.

I agree with the Starbucks folks; I’ve missed your posts in this thread. I’m glad to see you back.

Steven,
Let us know what you’d like to build next. I’ll definitely subscribe.

Good question Steve. If I can get my hands on Sheri's Saturn 1b, that might be one. I also have a dozen or so OOP Centuri and Estes kits from the 70's to honk on just to be 'less' serious about building.

I've pretty much found myself having acquired all the rockets of my youth now. There may be some strays yet to purchase but I think I'm primarily covered. Between Estes and Centuri in the late 60's and 70's, I have those special models ready to build now after this.

I'm going to do something I haven't done in decades, put a deadline on a project. I figure I can get this finished in time for July of 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Back