Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one of those in the photo's are you, Steven?

I'm not in any of the photos Woody. I didn't think it was essential though folks have taken pictures of the rocket and or myself. Today I had two take my picture basically to show someone else who would be interested that they know of. Since about April I'd say roughly 200 people have actually gone out of their way to talk about the rocket.

Thank you very much. I've got more pics to load. Perhaps today.

I always wanted to build an SV and do it the way you are doing yours. Just kick back and work on it when you feel motivated. I was considering the SIRIUS one simply because its designed for HP and last I recalled I think it's a little cheaper than Apogee's, but not sure? I hate rushing my builds...

IMG_0001 (46).jpg This is the area I've begun on. It's the lower skirt on the third stage. The next photo will show you what I've done.

IMG_0002 (18).jpg These parts consist of five separate sub assemblies. The balsa fairing sits on top of a piece of styrene with the remaining three pieces including one strip with umbilical connectors and two more strips containing vent/fill drains.

I love seeing your loyal band of followers and spectators. Congratulations on finding a way to make rocketry even more fun!

Phenomenal build by the way!

Mugs

IMG_0003 (6).jpg Finally one of the two ullage motors from balsa. There's plenty more for me to do on this third stage so I might take a few days off on this. I'll see.

I love seeing your loyal band of followers and spectators. Congratulations on finding a way to make rocketry even more fun!

Phenomenal build by the way!

Mugs

It's been an honor to answer the many questions folks have had. And a real hoot to say the least! There really is something humbling in being a 'teacher' of sorts to willing minds. It's become quite 'fun' and interesting for so many people as well. I'm still waiting for the right kid to light up and become incoherent when looking at this. This child will receive the starter set I have in the trunk of my car. I just can't wait! And thanks for the nod. I appreciate it!

Yesterday at the coffee shop I was getting ready to leave when a father of two sons asked to help me carry out the two sections. He grabbed the lower section and had his (I'll say 9 year old) grab the upper section and take them to my car parked directly in front of the shop. This isn't the first time someone asked to help me out as I use a cane due to arthritis in my back. As we got out to the car, I asked the gentleman if his kids might be interested in rocketry. He told me his oldest one might be so I gave him that starter set from Estes with the rocket that measures the speed it flies at along with everything except batteries.

He thanked me profusely and I gave him a recommendation to buy two more packs of motors, one pack of B's and one C pack. Hope I see him again for flying stories.

It was a rare day for me today as I went to the coffee shop without the rocket, just David Weeks' drawings. As far as the wooden parts I made are concerned, I'm debating glassing them or simply using the sanding sealer method. Glassing I believe gets me closer to a final finish without balsa grain showing as it's done essentially in one or two coats and then sanded to it's final finish for primer. Sanding sealer typically requires more coats from my experience. The first and second stage pretty well have everything done on them for details. The SLA still needs a second coat of finishing epoxy to fill in the grain from the printing process, while the SM/CM are mostly done with the exception of the RCS nozzles which will be finished and attached after the final paint. The LES will also more than likely need two coats of finishing resin.

I've started using a product called Mod Podge which is a water base glue, sealer and overall finishing product on all the wooden parts to seal the grain of the wood. It states to use at least five coats and wet sand with 400 grit. I've only got three coats on for the time being with two remaining. I've never used this approach so it's experimental to say the least. Either tomorrow or Monday I'll take a trip back out to the Covington Starbucks to hopefully finish off sealing and then sand all parts necessary.

those pictures are great...I have never liked coffee...but after seeing the work you have done at Starbucks I might start drinking it now!

those pictures are great...I have never liked coffee...but after seeing the work you have done at Starbucks I might start drinking it now!

You could always grab a tea or any of the numerous coffee concoctions available. I understand it can be an acquired taste but there's all kinds of options. I drink mine black but have tried some of their teas which are pretty good. If I'm thirsty and just want to slug something down it's one of their teas that works for me. BTW start building a rocket at your local Starbucks too. You're bound to start meeting people who will be quite interested! Then do your build on line here to show everyone! It's definitely a way to spread the interest.

You could always grab a tea or any of the numerous coffee concoctions available. I understand it can be an acquired taste but there's all kinds of options. I drink mine black but have tried some of their teas which are pretty good. If I'm thirsty and just want to slug something down it's one of their teas that works for me. BTW start building a rocket at your local Starbucks too. You're bound to start meeting people who will be quite interested! Then do your build on line here to show everyone! It's definitely a way to spread the interest.

2 words: Banana-chocolate smoothie.
(The way the baristas at B&N call it out, it becomes two words)

Also it's a rare enough drink, you pretty much get a different smoothie whenever someone different makes it. Good way to add variety to your life!

2 words: Banana-chocolate smoothie.
(The way the baristas at B&N call it out, it becomes two words)

Also it's a rare enough drink, you pretty much get a different smoothie whenever someone different makes it. Good way to add variety to your life!

Is B&N Barns and Noble?

That is heartwarming and wonderful!

Do they understand that your build is actually going to be finished one day? (Or is that a bad assumption? ;))

This thread keeps finding new ways to get better.

That is heartwarming and wonderful!

Do they understand that your build is actually going to be finished one day? (Or is that a bad assumption? ;))

This thread keeps finding new ways to get better.

He's got to finish it! If he doesn't, I'll ... I'll ... I'll have to fly across country and kidnap him!

It has been getting rough for me as of late. The rocket has been languishing away in the garage for a number of weeks now. I would say that the next steps are to finish off the filling in of the tube spirals on the first and second stage, and add a second coat of fiberglass resin to the SLA adapter to help fill in the horizontal etchings from the 3D process. I believe after this is done a coat of primer can go on. I'm convinced all the detail pieces are finished so that's out of the way. I never would have thought I'd have gotten this far. It would indeed be a shame not to finish this. I have on occasion thought about selling it though I'm not sure if I would sell it as it is or finish it and then sell it.

Last edited:
I'm aware of your struggles. I hope you come through and have something to really be proud of.

I'm aware of your struggles. I hope you come through and have something to really be proud of.

Thank you! It's been a phase thing. It comes and goes over time and you just flat out deal with it. I've always managed to overcome the down side so this too will pass. I know it. Any wagers out there?

Back