Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's looking much, much better Steven!
You have much better eye's than me.
Plus, my hands shake too much to do such finely detail work.
You da man.

Thanks Woody. My hands used to shake quite severely till I had discovered it was one of the meds I was taking and the doctor and I had decided to take me off of it. Much better now.

IMG_0001 (19).jpg The far right lower vent was too long in comparison not leaving as much space with the upper vent so I filled the top in with more putty and filed it down. I'll see what this area looks like when I get a chance (weather pending) to shoot some primer over it. Primer really shows where deficiencies are lurking which is why I like using it throughout a build.

IMG_0001 (20).jpgIMG_0002 (6).jpg Looking at my drawings for the third stage detail next. Plenty of it to scratch build from my point of view.

she is looking amazing Steven! Love watching your builds!

Thank you. There's a lot of work to be done on the third stage and I'm still in the process of figuring out how I'll be scratch building all the details. Taking into consideration what I already have and how to go about incorporating these materials into the build.

IMG_0003 (3).jpg This is one of two APS fairings you find on the third stage. Are these actually silver or some other metallic color?

IMG_0001 (21).jpg The material I'm using here is simply Mylar ducting tape which is not very malleable as Flite Metal is which I'm still searching for around here somewhere. While the bottom turned out decent, the center section left something to be desired and I'll more than likely do it over again. I need the Flite Metal for these compound shapes.

IMG_0001 (22).jpgIMG_0001 (23).jpg IMG_0001 (24).jpgThis is a before and after set of photos. The first was of course my first attempt while the second I had removed all the metal tape and reapplied with new tape.

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (25).jpg The second APS fairing which will consist of two more pieces to finish off. I then use a paper punch to punch out little dots from the covering material to cover the nozzle openings of which there are three.

IMG_0002 (8).jpg There's a single spiral on the third stage that I just filled. It took two applications of Squadron green putty to fill in properly.

I just finished adding a coat of laminating epoxy and denatured alcohol to the SLA and IU. These pieces have by nature a grainy feel to them. And just as I had done with the capsule, I used this method to help level out things so less sanding will be needed.

IMG_0001 (26).jpgIMG_0002 (9).jpg You might be able to see the resin on these parts. Just one coat. Once dried, I'll begin using 400 grit on them and shoot a coat of primer afterwards. I'll use automotive filler for anything remaining.

IMG_0001 (27).jpg The beginning of one of the systems tunnels. What I've decided to do with them is to cover them with paper and CA so I have less filling of the balsa to do. Then I'll be adding panel lines along the tunnels with pin striping tape.

IMG_0001 (28).jpgIMG_0002 (10).jpg I've removed the stringers from the two areas where the APS fairings will go and taped them off for painting. They will be added after paint is applied.

Looking good, Steven. One thing I've found recently that you may consider for metalizing is Rub 'n' Buff. Works pretty well. I've used it on some small static model parts.

Been taking my rocket to the local Star Bucks to work on it. Not the entire thing but either the top half or recently the bottom half. I've been getting all KINDS of people wanting to know what I'm doing. Men, women, teens, pre-teens, elderly, you name it. I've been marking off where details such as umbilical connectors, fill/vent plugs, access panels, etc go.

Last edited:
Have some up date photos to take and present here from the work I've been doing at Star Bucks. I didn't think I was ever going to get around to doing some of these parts but I have with more to go.

this is AWESOME!! she is looking great Steven! Not only are you building a spectacular Saturn V but you are educating people on mankind's greatest adventure.

Been taking my rocket to the local Star Bucks to work on it. Not the entire thing but either the top half or recently the bottom half. I've been getting all KINDS of people wanting to know what I'm doing. Men, women, teens, pre-teens, elderly, you name it. I've been marking off where details such as umbilical connectors, fill/vent plugs, access panels, etc go.

I've been taking the rocket there since about April which was the upper half at first. For the last month I began taking the lower section in. I don't do any sanding, cutting or gluing at the shop, just marking off paint demarcation lines which aid in my locating (along with David Weeks' drawings) umbilical connections, all vent and fill drains, access panels etc. These parts I'm also in the process of making from bits and pieces of sheet styrene and hollow, plastic tubing.

IMG_0003 (4).jpg Three umbilical connectors which also reside on the lower edge of the S-1C stage. These will have detail made primarily of hollow, plastic tubing of various diameters and 3D resin decal rivets to achieve the desired affect.

IMG_0002 (12).jpg And a pair of telemetry antennae. Nothing is solidified yet as far as final position, just getting bearings on general placement for now. Even using Weeks' drawings this takes a fair bit of time to get things lined up vertically and horizontally.

Last edited:
Back