Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Centuri Skylab today as well. No creased or bent tubes!! View attachment 316571

I envy you Steven. That is one of the coolest kits, and I know I was watching this.
That's part of my morning ritual. Scan the ebay and add to the watch list.
Wishing I could bid on some things. My day will come....eventually.

I envy you Steven. That is one of the coolest kits, and I know I was watching this.
That's part of my morning ritual. Scan the ebay and add to the watch list.
Wishing I could bid on some things. My day will come....eventually.

Centuri had always had a place in my heart. My first rocket was the Centuri Mercury Redstone and couldn't believe it was rated at a skill level 5. Went together quicker than crap through a goose as far as I was concerned. My dad took me there to see them in Phoenix when I lived there. Never had the Skylab so this is a 'new' 45 year old model for me.

Access panel done. IMG_0001 (7).jpg Vents were made from gluing two 1 mm stringers together to make a total of 5 vents. IMG_0001 (8).jpg

Access panel outline on aft interstage: IMG_0001 (9).jpg Next on this will be the vent holes. I'll use some scrap sheet styrene to practice on drilling and elongating these out to get the right speed without melting the slots.

You doing such an accurate scale job of building this thing, and barge full of money.....
Do you think you will every fly it Steven?
I'd be too afraid to after all that work and money....but I'm poor.

I build with the intention of flying. My issue is actually just getting out of the house to do so rather than the fear of flying anything. I'm not even certified level one yet let alone needing a level two for this. I've yet to go to a launch but I read there is one at 60 Acres in my neck of the woods for this Sunday. I MAY drive up there, I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:
I build with the intention of flying. My issue is actually just getting out of the house to do so rather than the fear of flying anything. I'm not even certified level one yet let alone needing a level two for this. I've yet to go to a launch but I read there is one at 60 Acres in my next of the woods for this Sunday. I MAY drive up there, I'm not sure yet.

Even though I'm L1 I didn't attend one launch last year and I really need to start going. As soon as I get some some of my birds painted I'll get out there, probably in Sept when the temps down some. I know what you are saying. It's hard enough to find the time to build let alone fly...

Even though I'm L1 I didn't attend one launch last year and I really need to start going. As soon as I get some some of my birds painted I'll get out there, probably in Sept when the temps down some. I know what you are saying. It's hard enough to find the time to build let alone fly...

It's not time for me, it's being bi-polar. It can be a real thief that steals everything from you including feelings and emotions. Nothing interests you, nothing motivates you, it's like being in a small, confined room being shut off from anything to engage in.

I had decided to remove the hatch as I had initially glued it on top of the stringers. I wanted to remove the stringers from the immediate underlying area and glue it on in a 'flush' like manner instead. It may not look much different in a photo, but from where I'm standing I can tell. IMG_0001 (11).jpgIMG_0002 (3).jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (12).jpg I've penciled out the first set of vents then I'll try using my Moto-Tool and a small drill bit or routing tool to cut these out.

What I am saying is use the same pictures but dedicate a thread not on this site just for this build.

I'm not sure what the difference would be whether it's here or elsewhere. Do I remove all the statements from other folks just to streamline the build down? Which now that I think of it, would seem to make sense but still not sure. I also wouldn't know where else to go for this that could constitute a place specifically for documenting.

IMG_0001 (13).jpgIMG_0001 (14).jpg I did take a half round rat tail and cleaned up what I could. It may not show in the photos but as it sits in front of me, it looks a tad better. I mainly removed any fuzz and what not from the openings giving things a cleaner appearance.

IMG_0001 (15).jpg This is the second set of vents found on the interstage already marked out for drilling. I don't have the remaining two retro-rockets installed on this side yet. This will be in the white area where the first set will be in the black area.

Last edited:
IMG_0005 (2).jpg Broke through a few stringers on these vents from over zealous drilling. These can be repaired with lightweight spackle such as Red Devil. Once done and repaired, I'll probably move on to the third stage details. Quite a few in comparison to the aft interstage. I will final sand and file the vent holes to better match each other as well.

IMG_0005 (2).jpgIMG_0001 (16).jpg A before and after shot of the vent holes. I couldn't find the spackle I stated I would use so I used green putty instead. Being a very small area, this stuff works just fine. Can't complain. It looks like more work is still needed as I just laid down more putty in certain areas.

Last edited:
Back