Sheri's Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0001 (40).jpg Pretty much a finished section on the top S-II skirt. At this point, it's starting to look like something. Still doubt I'll do any contest but I won't swear on it.

IMG_0001 (38).jpgIMG_0001 (41).jpg A before and after shot of the lower second stage umbilical cluster. After looking at the drawings, I figured I could take this piece further than I initially chose. These little circular pieces have tested my patience from cutting, positioning, gluing and finally sanding. This particular piece came out nicely with the added detail. It was time worth spent.

IMG_0001 (42).jpg I've measured, cut and glued the smooth section for the second stage upper skirt here. I've also managed to do this in jeans, flip flops and a dress shirt (ahem).

IMG_0001 (43).jpg Another strip (3) of smooth styrene added at the bottom skirt of the S-II. Further detailing on this entire lower section seems to be done now. Filling and sanding of the other spirals along with rounding the systems tunnels is probably all that is needed. Planning the next steps is next as I still need to do more work on the third stage such as the two ullage motors and other bits. I'm hoping I can at least get primer on this before the weather heads south this year.
The customers at Star Bucks continue to give huge support and some have been keen enough to actually see progress. I've got a NIB starter kit for a family/child who shows enthusiasm as some have already shown. Unfortunately at the time I did not have the starter kit with me. I'll find someone. On a side note, perhaps Star Bucks can embroider my chutes with "Powered By Star Bucks".

I think that before the end (?) of this thread, we deserve to see a picture of your Starbucks bench setup. Bonus points for curious onlookers.

That's not a bad idea you guys. Smart and on target. I'll see what I can do in the next few visits. Today at Star Bucks, I removed the remainder of the stringers on the engine shroud where those air dams go and taped the areas off to prevent primer and paint from adhering. The areas for the four umbilical connectors and drain/fill vent have also been covered with tape for the same purpose. The two systems tunnels need to be rounded on the first stage and I need to build one for the second stage. Then finish filling in the tube spirals and I should be ready for the first coat of primer on the lower section.

That's not a bad idea you guys. Smart and on target. I'll see what I can do in the next few visits. Today at Star Bucks, I removed the remainder of the stringers on the engine shroud where those air dams go and taped the areas off to prevent primer and paint from adhering. The areas for the four umbilical connectors and drain/fill vent have also been covered with tape for the same purpose. The two systems tunnels need to be rounded on the first stage and I need to build one for the second stage. Then finish filling in the tube spirals and I should be ready for the first coat of primer on the lower section.

What's the story behind the "air dams"? I remember you asking what they were for on the real Sat5 but I think I missed the explanation you found.

What's the story behind the "air dams"? I remember you asking what they were for on the real Sat5 but I think I missed the explanation you found.

I copied this from the "Saturn V Fin Shroud Mystery" thread: there was an area of static airflow at the base of the first stage, where unburnt fuel and oxidizer was accumulating. The fear was that the residual gasses might combust on future flights, potentially damaging the vehicle. The "scoops" were developed and added to disturb this area of stagnation, eliminating the potential problem. Didn't the space shuttle suffer from a similar mishap due to leakage? Raw fuel and oxidizer touching bases with the main flame front?

If you are referring to the one with a major anomaly (Blew Up) that was a problem with an O-Ring Seal. I don't know of any other event causing failure related mishap.

Yes that's the one. A fuel leakage is what came of it and got into the main exhaust touching off the explosion. It looked external.

IMG_0006.jpg And for today's shift I introduce you to the crew who have been extremely co-operative since I first showed up around the back half of March this year! I can't say enough about them. I must add in all fairness that these people are part of the larger picture of employees here and when I can, I'll get their pics on here as well. I did have roughly a handful of customers giving the project the nod but failed to take any photos. In fact, as I got out to my car, a woman who was kind enough to hold the door open for me came back out to ask me just what I was building thus another conversation was started next to the car.
There seems to be a lot of interest from folks in general and it's good to see this from them. It gives me hope that interest in the space program is still alive and well. Quite frankly, between men and women, I'd have to say the interest is equal. I can't really give the nod to one or another. I like that.

Most excellent. I didn't realize you had the whole airframe with you there; you're providing quite a nice show for the folks there. :)

Thanks Neil. Tomorrow I may start on the systems tunnel for the second stage. I have part of it built yet there remains more to build onto. The lower end is wider than the majority of the tunnel so this will be replicated rather than making the entire tunnel one consistent width. A small transition ring between the two widths will also be built.

IMG_0001 (44).jpgAnother group shot with some different folks behind the counter. There are two who were in the previous shot though I said no sweat to including them again. I left it up to everyone to determine this and there were no issues whatsoever. There are more to come so I'll try and get as many as I can before it all becomes blatantly repetitive. I do however feel that they ALL deserve recognition for customer service, patience and hard work as it all shows. My showing up here has really helped push this project further than not so it is a very fortunate thing in having made the off handed decision to drop by. Now I can't stay away.
I also want to thank you folks for developing the idea by introducing everyone here. It really HAS become an integral part of the whole project without a doubt and I can't ignore that facet. Credit must be given where credit is due. Let's finish this thing.

Looking good, Steven. I'm glad you've found a way to make regular progress.

IMG_0001 (45).jpgIMG_0002 (16).jpg The two ends of the second stage systems tunnels. The larger end goes towards the bottom while the narrow end goes towards the top. Both ends go directly over the 'smooth' plastic areas as well as the corrugated areas. I'm not quite sure I stated that in a way that makes sense or not. There will still need to be a paper or plastic transition between the two different widths. The areas of the tunnel that actually lie on top of the smooth plastic will need to be built up to remove any gap here. The part itself has already been rounded off so that's out of the way now.

IMG_0002 (17).jpgIMG_0004 (4).jpgIMG_0005 (1).jpgIMG_0006 (1).jpg A few of the good folks who visit Star Bucks. These people have been some of the more curious ones who stop to comment on this build. Some have been watching since I brought this here in April.

Back