"... and 'thank you' for flying KLM."

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why you should have spare undies in your carryon --- in case you crap your pants.

I flew KLM into this same airport a few years ago and had a much better experience. Nice flight, excellent service, decent meals. And the airport was very nice.

What is interesting about watching that clip is the plane actually looks like it came down gently. I am not sure if this is autopilot or hands on but the roll correction seems to be almost perfect and maybe I am off base but I would guess that this pilot is pretty skilled to pull that off.

Yes, a very skilled pilot indeed, but even then he came very close to losing it at one point. I wonder why a landing was even attempted under those conditions.

I agree the pilot was skilled (or lucky), but I was also wondering why a landing was attempted under those conditions.

Or maybe the air was perfectly calm when this video was taken, and the pilot was on Quaaludes.

The winds at the airport reached 63 mph (~101.4 kph), but not sure what the actual winds were at the time of the landing. My untrained eye says that the aircraft was at the edge of the flight envelope for landing.

I wonder what his fellow aviators think of his skills? I wonder how many stopped at the bar afterwards?

Greg

I wonder if he stopped at the bar afterwards.

Me thinks yes. With some landings, you are simply glad that the dirty side is down and you get to walk away.

A good landing- You can walk away from it
A great landing- You can use the aircraft again

Yes, a very skilled pilot indeed, but even then he came very close to losing it at one point. I wonder why a landing was even attempted under those conditions.

Remember that take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.

Um, if I may ask, why are you emphasizing the pronoun?

He's wondering if God stopped off for a drink.

Actually, I think he means he's wondering if the pilot had a drink at the bar afterward. Most likely some of the passengers did, but was the pilot rattled enough to want a stiff drink too?

I believe Zero is asking why you assume the pilot was a he.

My answer - Most airline captains are male. It's a pretty safe assumption the captain of this flight was male, as well.

I had a similar landing recently at DFW. We didn't have as much roll, but we were crabbing at about 30 degrees. The snap from that angle to straight on the bounce was pretty jarring. My seatmate didn't like that landing very much.

As an airline captain I'll chime in.

He is a $h!!ty pilot! plain ans simple.

Any airline pilot that would attempt that should be grounded. And that's it.
Attempt that stuff when you don't have PAYING PASSENGERS in the back!

They deserve better. They deserve a flight crew that will not take unnecessary risks. Landing in that wind was unnecessary. Plain and simple.
No if, and's, or buts. They had an alternate airport with acceptable weather. They had fuel to get to it. They SHOULD have gone to it.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT LANDING!

I believe Zero is asking why you assume the pilot was a he.

For the record, I did not even consider gender in my answer. In the post I responded to I believe the pilot was referred to in the masculine. If that makes me sexist or not PC, well that just bites for whomever really cares.

For the record, I did not even consider gender in my answer. In the post I responded to I believe the pilot was referred to in the masculine. If that makes me sexist or not PC, well that just bites for whomever really cares.

I wasn't questioning your (or anyone's) use of he as a generic pronoun. Just trying to provide another interpretation of Zero's comment.

Using he/him/his as generic pronouns was proper English when I was taught, so I continue to use it and to hell with the useless PC knuckleheads.

Back