What's so special about the Estes Leviathan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its also a great starting point for several upscales, or a ProSeries Patriot Missle (same nose cone, or close enough). All the PSII kits are can be kitbashed easily into something else, like a Partizon to a Cherokee-D.

Oh wow, I bought one of these during Estes' latest sale and didn't even "see" that until you mentioned it. A quick calculation on length and width versus my Estes LPR Patriot shows a nearly identical length-width ratio so really just a new set of fins would do it for fun scale purposes. I love my little Patriot, and now I'm eyeing the Leviathan kit in a whole new way......

Oh wow, I bought one of these during Estes' latest sale and didn't even "see" that until you mentioned it. A quick calculation on length and width versus my Estes LPR Patriot shows a nearly identical length-width ratio so really just a new set of fins would do it for fun scale purposes. I love my little Patriot, and now I'm eyeing the Leviathan kit in a whole new way......

My plan was to do exactly that, Leviathan kitbash to PS Partriot, and Partizon kitbash to CherokeeD (K'Tesh just did a thread on one) both with 29mm mounts.

note, my 3" patriot needed 4 oz.s of nose weight to balance properly. it jumps off the pad on an F52 :).
Rex

Not listed via my smartphone, probably just out of stock. All the other PSII Builders kits are still listed.

Nope, when out of stock, it still comes back with something. This is coming back with "404 not found" on other searches, too. Hopefully it's just a web maintenance issue, and not discontinued.

It was still on the site even after out of stock. My feeling is discontinued, unfortunately :-(

In recent communication with Estes Customer Service with regards to a failed PSII nylon chute, I asked about the Leviathan. This is the reply:
[FONT=&quot]As for the Leviathan, we pack all of the PSII series rocket kits here in Penrose and at this time we’re just out of stock until they run it again…so no, not discontinued yet.[/FONT]
That doesn't account for why its no longer listed as "out of stock" and seems to be missing entirely, but maybe that's an error. Crossing fingers...

at a guess I would say that they have run out of fins for it, since the other parts are listed(except for the motor mount).
Rex

Oh----Will the great Estes oracle speak to us!!!??? ESTES....WE SEEK KNOWLEDGE We need to know....Is this the end of Pro-Series builder kits?

Please....we crave more. We have "expendable" income to offer! Do you require sacrifice? Do you want me to burn an un-built kit on the flight line?

Here's mine. This was my first MPR, and it's been nothing but fantastic at the fields ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442968865.053783.jpg

Estes DID give someone an answer check the highlighted section of post #40

The ONLY problem with that is that OTHER items have run out of stock for long periods of time and NOT been removed from the web site nor shown as discontinued by distributors and secondary vendors. I think the writing is on the wall: If it won't fly on an Estes BP motor, Estes ain't gonna keep it in the inventory.

While I am a dedicated Estes builder, we have the knowledge. We can rebuild it. Make better than it was before. BMS sells the 3" Estes tubes. They have centering rings and 29mm MMT tubes. They have 24" nylon chutes. Unfortunately, the only 3" nose cone they have is noticeably longer than the Leviathan. Closer to an AIM-120 nose cone.

As far as I can tell, Estes only ran out of the nose cones. All the tubes and coupler and parachute are still available. Perhaps the demand for the Scion ate the nose cone stock up? If that is all, perhaps BMS or Vaughn Bros or even Apogee would be interested in making a PNC available in this size. It's basically a 3" upscale of the PNC-60 nose cone from the M-104 Patriot.

I've not been back into rocketry for long... but does having just ordered three Scion 3's because I've been wanting a Leviathan, and some Leviathan mods, mean that I'm proper infected?

I've not been back into rocketry for long... but does having just ordered three Scion 3's because I've been wanting a Leviathan, and some Leviathan mods, mean that I'm proper infected?

Yes, yes it does

Oh there's a cure... However the cure is much worse than the addiction. You have to hold your breath for longer than 6 minutes, and you're cured permanently. :wink:

Back