Anyone ever use this drill press?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works great for lite to med duty work

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I used to use a HF and used it cut CRs with a fly wheel. It works, but for safety reasons, I recommend against a fly wheel which I will refer to a $&@ buster. If one flys off while cutting, you will know why.

When I use mine I always prop a piece of 1/2" plywood between me and it. I have never had one come loose, but If it did there would be about a 1 in 6 chance I would "catch" it. I do not like those odds.

Its nearly identical to my Delta branded one, so close in fact that some parts interchange. Older HF cordless drills used to be shameless copies of Dewalts older NiCad powered ones, and ALL the parts interchanged, I used to do power tool repair for a local Dewalt, Bosch, and Makita repair facility (all two personnel). Odds are Grizzly makes one of these too, if so you can bet its fairly decent quality and a lot less risky than HF especially getting parts.

Grizzly does make one https://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Baby-Drill-Press/G7942

It's a cheap, light duty, non-precision, drill press. If you're not hogging out thick steel, or trying to hit three decimal places, they are ok for general household and hobby stuff. Not fantastic, but ok. Biggest thing you can do to help yourself is learn how to adjust the rpm, and what speeds to run for different materials. Do spend the money on good bits, and we're not talkin lowes or home depot brand with fancy but useless coatings on the tips. Use the right speed and some cutting fluid, with a quality bit, and it becomes a whole different world.

-Hans

FWIW, I like mine. Works a whole lot better than a hand-drill...

I agree. My uncle has one and while it's by far not perfect is does the job. Just don't expect precision. Essentially you get what you pay for.

Thanks, all.

I don't think it really matters where you get a small drill press... I believe anyone flying mid power and up really benefits more by having one. And nothing says "Rocket Science" like getting a new tool that is right for so many jobs; so let us know what you end up getting.

I don't know what a fly wheel is in terms of drilling. I am planning to use a hole saw to cut out the CRs. My plan is to nail my piece of plywood to a couple of 2x4s, then C-clamp them to the table of the press, then use the hole saw to cut them out, after I have drilled all the inside holes.

Anyone see a problem with that idea?

I don't know what a fly wheel is in terms of drilling...

He probably means a fly cutter. If the pieces are not secured properly, they can fly off causing soft-tissue damage. If the pieces are secured properly, they can cause soft-tissue damage if you get within the rotating circumference.

https://www.normstools.com/images/normstools/fly-cutter.shtml

... I am planning to use a hole saw to cut out the CRs. My plan is to nail my piece of plywood to a couple of 2x4s, then C-clamp them to the table of the press, then use the hole saw to cut them out, after I have drilled all the inside holes.

Anyone see a problem with that idea?

Instead of nailing, you may consider wood screws instead onto some MDF. You want the the base perpendicular to centerline of the drill bit and 2x4's may not result in a good perpendicular plane. C-clamps would work, or you could use a couple of these to take advantage of the slots in the drill press table.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-drill-press-locking-clamp-36221.html

Greg

Mine came with a very crooked table which was stamped instead of cast like the picture shows. The stamped table was a few degrees away from square, and took an hour of banging and sanding to make it close to perpendicular to the spindle.

If I used it more than once or twice a month I would buy something better. If I need anything repetitive or really square I go use our nice press work.

In hindsight I wish I would have gotten something a little nicer.

The last time I outfitted a nose cone, I did everything by hand. But I used luan, which was a huge mistake. The second attempt, I got clumsy with the hole saw and skidded it across the surface and almost cut my leg.

This time, I just want to reproduce the success I had with the luan, but in a good piece of plywood. I figure if the press can cut the holes and not hurt me, I'm golden. Doesn't have to be perfect. I'll have to sand everything down anyway.

The last time I outfitted a nose cone, I did everything by hand. But I used luan, which was a huge mistake. The second attempt, I got clumsy with the hole saw and skidded it across the surface and almost cut my leg.

This time, I just want to reproduce the success I had with the luan, but in a good piece of plywood. I figure if the press can cut the holes and not hurt me, I'm golden. Doesn't have to be perfect. I'll have to sand everything down anyway.

I still use luan for somethings..but have used this for cheapie CRs and Bulkheads in plastic nose cones :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plaid-Value-Plaque-Circle/21695070

Kenny

REPORT: Iused the HF press to drill and cut a bulkhead and a CR, John-coker style, and have successfully built my NC AV bay.

I will agree 100% with everyone who said it's not super-precise, and may not hold up to extensive use. But it did the job, and when I have need of it again, it will be there. I was pleased that my CR and BH were perfectly round.

I actually have the CHEAPER version of the drill press in question, if you can believe that. I think the only difference is mine has simpler grips on the handles and no work light. I've had it for, oh, probably 4 years or so now, and my ONLY complaint is that the travel seems to be a bit short. I can almost pop a hole in something 2" thick, bit not quite... just barely pokes through the opposite side. Other than that, It's done pretty much everything I've asked. The only time it's ever balked on me I was trying to use a 1" forstner bit, and it vibrated frighteningly and snatched the piece outta my hand. I've never even bothered to change the pulley ratio under the hood (I think it has a few different speed/torque setting you can choose by swapping the pulleys the belt rides on).

I have several HF tools, and have had good luck with all but one. There was this tabletop scroll saw that I could bog down with one of those free paint stirrer sticks you get at Lowes or Home Depot. That one had to go back, but the band saw I got to replace it works fine. I find more fault with the attachment bits than the parts that actually do the work. But, you now, YMMV. :p

Latest posts

Back