Parachute storage.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
How does everyone store their chutes between launches
small and big, as in five to six foot diameter?

i roll mine around paper towel rolls and then put them in a gallon bag. works up to about a 5-6 foot chute.

In addition to being a rocketry enthusiast, I have some small experience as a parachutist and as a rigger.

Briefly, I store my rocketry parachutes after doing the following:
1) pulled under tension, swivel to apex, until tight
2) each gore flaked out and smoothed
3) equal number of gores on both sides
4) skirt folded at a 45, both sides
5) canopy s-folded on top of the 45 degree folds
6) slid into a zip lock baggie, lines s-folded to follow

Mostly I do this because it makes packing for the next flight easier. :)

If you have a particular packing method you like, you may consider just packing it into a deployment bag as you would do for flight. The China Lake study by the Navy showed that parachutes packed for several years opened no slower than those packed for 60 days.

All the best, James

I have a drop ceiling in my basement. I inserted the round hook of a metal coat hanger through a tile, creating a ceiling hook. I keep a quick link through the end of the shroud lines, and just loop it over the hook. Let's them hang out all the wrinkles.

I hang the smaller ones by the shroud lines from hooks in the basement joists. Larger ones I hang from the apex of the chute and loop the shroud lines to a hook also.

I have too many chutes to hang from rafters like I used to do, so I now store mine in the rockets.
For LP I open them up, and dust them with talc before folding them up for the launch.
For high power I will open them up prior to launching, and refold.

I store everything from 9" chutes to 15' chutes in ziplock bags. I use the bags that come with McMaster Carr orders. They are heavy duty bags and the larger ones will hold the 15foot chutes with no problem.....folded.

Most of time I fold them up flight ready. Slip them in a zip lock bag. Write chute size on bag in case you forget the size a few weeks down the road. I have never had a deployment problem with this method of storage for nylon chutes.

^^^ +1 though I am guilty of just folding and wrapping the shroud line around them before shoving in the bag. As a rule I will allow them to open up in a breeze before packinh them in a rocket anyway. Largest chute I have is 72" and it easily fits in a gallon ziplock.

Thanks for all the feedback, I have had issues with storing plastic chutes in the rockets.
I am a big fan of ziploks in the shop so I think that will be my method of storage and then
pack the bags in a dollar store plastic bin.

Back