E-Matches for Dual Deploy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
So as I'm coming closer to my first attempt at DD, I was searching for ignition options. I ran across there:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Electric-Fireworks-Pyrotechnics-Survival/dp/B00J4C0028/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437956030&sr=8-2&keywords=e+match

They sound like a good item for my purpose. I have to admit that the price/qty/reviews seem too good to be true. Has anyone tried these before? What was your experience? I'm ready to purchase them right now, but I just can't pull the trigger yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as I'm coming closer to my first attempt at DD, I was searching for ignition options. I ran across there:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4C0028/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They sound like a good item for my purpose. I have to admit that the price/qty/reviews seem too good to be true. Has anyone tried these before? What was your experience? I'm ready to purchase them right now, but I just can't pull the trigger yet.

They certainly look like ones I have used but I am not sure if they are the same quality.

I have used the ones supplied from Sunward in Canada, just fired 4 off this evening while testing another AV bay. I have also used e-matches that I picked up at launches from Tim @ Wildman as well as Robert and Gloria @ AMX. The only ones that I know the manufacturer of are the ones from Sunward and they are called "Mystical Match" P#EM01" with a 1.5 meter lead.

Personally I would go more on reputation and experience vs. quantity and cost. Having said that I have no idea if price translates into a more reliable product in this case...but I am guessing that there are some other TRF members that do have an opinion on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny reading this thread, I just ordered a 100 count bundle today. I am also building my first dd as well. I figure if the quality doesn't seem good enough for flight use, I'll use them for ground testing, and buy the better ones from a more reputable source.

David

These are similar if not the same as CJs. I have ground tested and flown these. After on of the first of the many post asking about this Amazon product, I bought 100 to test. They work and they are reliable. They will fire on a single 9v or AA battery. They also work as a motor lighter.

I just ordered 100 as well. I have 50 of the J-Tec matches, but I do not expect them to last too long... Lots of ground testing coming up, these from Amazon will get a thorough workout.

I use them exclusively. Cheap. Successful. Every once in a blue moon I'll find one with no continuity and pitch it. But I have never had one that showed continuity not fire.

I use them exclusively. Cheap. Successful. Every once in a blue moon I'll find one with no continuity and pitch it. But I have never had one that showed continuity not fire.

For $23 per 100 pieces and free shipping, it was worth checking them out on Amazon for me. I should have them by Wednesday.

If used as a motor igniter will a typical continuity test set them off?

These are similar if not the same as CJs. I have ground tested and flown these. After on of the first of the many post asking about this Amazon product, I bought 100 to test. They work and they are reliable. They will fire on a single 9v or AA battery. They also work as a motor lighter.

If used as a motor igniter will a typical continuity test set them off?

The Estes launch controllers will, because they use a ton of current to light their little bulb; but standard 12V low current controllers won't.

i do not think there is a continuity button on an Estes controller.

I just got shipping confirmation on mine, they are shipping out of Murphreesboro, TN. I wonder, in the future, if I can just place an order, and, pick them up on the way through to Manchester, lol.

David

I received my 100 count bundle today, after just ordering them Sunday. I haven't had a chance to test any yet, but, quality looks to be pretty good, uniform, and, quantity was accurate. They were well packed, in a bubble wrap bag, inside a box, which was inside another bag, inside of another box. Tracking showed that they shipped from Murfreesboro, TN, and, the return lablel has a Lexington, KY address. Like I said, I have yet to test any, but, visually, they seem to be of good quality.

David

I have something like this, works well for deployment but requires extra pyrogen (unless you are using the CTI with pyrodex pellet) for motor ignition. Technically not legal to buy/sell/etc. unless you have an ATF permit but seems no one is enforcing that these days. If you need legal peace of mind then you can go with MJG firewire but they are much more expensive.

I received my 100 count bundle today, after just ordering them Sunday. I haven't had a chance to test any yet, but, quality looks to be pretty good, uniform, and, quantity was accurate. They were well packed, in a bubble wrap bag, inside a box, which was inside another bag, inside of another box. Tracking showed that they shipped from Murfreesboro, TN, and, the return lablel has a Lexington, KY address. Like I said, I have yet to test any, but, visually, they seem to be of good quality.

David

Received mine yesterday, and they are packaged as you described. Hope to ground test this weekend.

My order came in today. They were in a ziplock bag, inside a bubbke package. That's it.

They are very nice looking. Ill be testing a few tomorrow and ground testing a few next weekend. Just as soon as I get the custom bulkheads in. Lots to do, lots to do.

I'm very curtious about how easy they will be to light. Guess it'll all come out in the wash.

Last edited:
So let me ask bluntly. Will my StratologgerCF fire these without fail, assuming I set it up right and the battery is good.

The key word is "without fail". We use a lot of these, over a hundred in the last year. Several hundred since CJ started selling them. I have had one failure and so has Sharon. I use them in all my redundant systems, but use J-tec matches in the single systems. We fly Stratologger SL-100's and CF's in most of our rockets.

Back