CTI Pro150 6GXL Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that a CTI Pro150 6GXL Motor would probably be a small Q.

You realize that Jeroen works for CTI, hence the "_at_CTI" part. I believe he is the person (scientist?) that comes up with the formulations for these motors. He would be better to tell you his role and credentials.

The bottom line is if he says "We have a single use Dual Thrust version - Vmax/C*. About 80kNs. 98% 'P', hence not certified." then you can be assured that it is not a "small Q". However you certainly are entitled to believe whatever you like.

You just got an answer from Jeroen_at_CTI, so there isn't too much room for speculation at this point. :wink:

You realize that Jeroen works for CTI, hence the "_at_CTI" part. I believe he is the person (scientist?) that comes up with the formulations for these motors. He would be better to tell you his role and credentials.

The bottom line is if he says "We have a single use Dual Thrust version - Vmax/C*. About 80kNs. 98% 'P', hence not certified." then you can be assured that it is not a "small Q". However you certainly are entitled to believe whatever you like.

You know that he could have more than one reload for the Pro150 6GXL motor. This motor is not commercially available and at this point most people use EX motors, not manufactured motors. Hence this reload should have a very limited amount of costumers. However, when someone orders, they can request a add in impulse (like the N5800-O4300) which Jeroen might be able to do. And remember, I said that I "think" this could be a small Q, like the the Pro98 6GXL O3400.

Jeroen is the man- if he tells you something you should listen.

The P8000 is a different beast. It is a composite case that is more, for lack of a picture, shaped like a bell. It was, if memory serves, the booster for the affordable weapons system project.

If I might ask, you seem very interested in the large CTI motors. What project are you looking to accomplish?

You know that he could have more than one reload for the Pro150 6GXL motor. This motor is not commercially available and at this point most people use EX motors, not manufactured motors. Hence this reload should have a very limited amount of costumers. However, when someone orders, they can request a add in impulse (like the N5800-O4300) which Jeroen might be able to do. And remember, I said that I "think" this could be a small Q, like the the Pro98 6GXL O3400.

Well only having just obtained my L2 and not having launched anything larger than a "K" to date, I would not have an opinion on whether or not you can simply "request a add in impulse", not even sure what that means. I am not even sure what context "most people use EX motors" means either, but I will take your word for it as my experience is limited only been easing into HPR for just over 2 years now.

I noticed that you are from PEI and said that the largest motor that has been launched in PEI is a "D" motor. I am assuming you have come to that conclusion because you launched it?

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences.

Jeroen is the man- if he tells you something you should listen.

The P8000 is a different beast. It is a composite case that is more, for lack of a picture, shaped like a bell. It was, if memory serves, the booster for the affordable weapons system project.

If I might ask, you seem very interested in the large CTI motors. What project are you looking to accomplish?

Are you kidding me!? If I had that motor I would be the happiest man on earth. But right now, all I can do is dream...:tongue:

Well only having just obtained my L2 and not having launched anything larger than a "K" to date, I would not have an opinion on whether or not you can simply "request a add in impulse", not even sure what that means. I am not even sure what context "most people use EX motors" means either, but I will take your word for it as my experience is limited only been easing into HPR for just over 2 years now.

I noticed that you are from PEI and said that the largest motor that has been launched in PEI is a "D" motor. I am assuming you have come to that conclusion because you launched it?

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences.

I am not very experienced in HPR either, but Jeroen said in a thread that 1400 N-sec could be added to N5800 to make it a O4300. This add in newton seconds could probably be done to the 98% P to make it a 1-5% Q.

Also, EX=Experimental

I am not very experienced in HPR either, but Jeroen said in a thread that 1400 N-sec could be added to N5800 to make it a O4300. This add in newton seconds could probably be done to the 98% P to make it a 1-5% Q.

Also, EX=Experimental

They are entirely separate motors in the same casing. They just use different propellants and per volume, IMax (The propellant that the O3400 uses), packs more impulse than C*, the propellant that that N5800 is made with. This leads to the O3400 having 1400N/s more impulse than the N5800.

They are entirely separate motors in the same casing. They just use different propellants and per volume, IMax (The propellant that the O3400 uses), packs more impulse than C*, the propellant that that N5800 is made with. This leads to the O3400 having 1400N/s more impulse than the N5800.

Then you can just do the same thing with the "P". Use the highest impulse propellant and the highest volume.

Can't he just sprinkle a little more impulse over the motor? Or pour a little impulse syrup down the nozzle?

Under tripoli rules the person who makes an EX motor must be present at the launch. "Commissioning" and EX motor from a motor manufacture sounds like a pain financially and logistically, although it has been done before. (Proteus Project). You're paying not only for the materials, but for an expert to design and test that motor. For the most part, it just makes sense to mix your own.

Alex

Then you can just do the same thing with the "P". Use the highest impulse propellant and the highest volume.

Yeah, they probably could... but why? Motors of that size are almost always made for a specific client who has a certain application in mind. They are tuned to the exact needs of that one buyer, so in this case they probably favored thrust over impulse or wanted a profile of a certain shape that meant those propellants needed to be used over Imax. Why does it matter so much to you... or to anyone?

Are you kidding me!? If I had that motor I would be the happiest man on earth. But right now, all I can do is dream...:tongue:

I am not kidding. A motor of this size is some serious stuff, and not something to be trifled with.

We have a single use Dual Thrust version - Vmax/C*. About 80kNs. 98% 'P', hence not certified.

Jeroen

So if it's a Vmax/C* dual thrust, does that mean we will see this combo for DT in the near future? If so I want some 54mm versions please.

I have some difficulty wrapping my head around adapting a 75mm motor up to fit the motor tube. 150mm 6 XL? Nope... I couldn't cut the check for it anyways, so there's no point in even considering it.

Later!

--Coop

Ok,im lost. I thought the Pro150s were only available as a 3 and 4 grain beastie.
That's correct because there's a limit for NFPA 1125 certified hobby rocket motors, however there's no limit for commercial rocket motors not meant for hobby rocket use.

You all do realize this Azizi guy is a troll, right?

Now that you mention it - probably. Or yet another starry eyed fourteen year old with delusions of grandeur and a pathological inability to fly what they should be. (LPR:/MPR/low end HPR)

Though occasionally the trolls byproduct can be some interesting discussion.

Back