Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azizi

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Estes Saturn V for sale? PM me if you have one.

You'll get better results if you post this as [wanted] in the Yard Sale section.

It doesn't really matter. I'll take either one since they are both good kits.

I have an old one (#2001) in shrink wrap that will be going up on ebay in a week or two (whenever I have time to get it up there...) - look for seller name: fishy_rocket_boy
A few other cool things there now and again over the next few weeks...

Andy

What's the difference between the two kits?
The newer one is basically the Centuri SatV with all the vacuformed wraps and a single motor configuration. It separated at the large transition. The older one has the embossed cardboard wraps, clear plastic overfins and a variable motor system (3x18mm or 1x24mm) which could be upgraded to 29 or even 38mm with ease. It separated at the capsule.

The newer one is basically the Centuri SatV with all the vacuformed wraps and a single motor configuration. It separated at the large transition. The older one has the embossed cardboard wraps, clear plastic overfins and a variable motor system (3x18mm or 1x24mm) which could be upgraded to 29 or even 38mm with ease. It separated at the capsule.
Phil, you couldn't be farther from the truth. The 2001 and 2157 are the same, except for fins and wraps. I have built 4 of the #2001 kits so I know. It separates at the 3rd stage transition. The 2157 has plastic fins and easier wraps.

My old #2001 is always a bit entertaining (scary) to fly. Didn't stop me from finding a #2157 as a backup!

[video=youtube;ItDIjxoJBB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItDIjxoJBB8[/video]

Phil, you couldn't be farther from the truth. The 2001 and 2157 are the same, except for fins and wraps. I have built 4 of the #2001 kits so I know. It separates at the 3rd stage transition. The 2157 has plastic fins and easier wraps.

Yeah, I missed the whole '2001' thing and was comparing to the K-36 SatV.

I have fond memories of building my K-36. I was too chicken-***t to fly it and the parents trashed it and all my other rockets because that's what 'keep them safe until the kids are older' means, apparently. I finally built my 2157, trashed it, resurrected it and have flown it a number of times since. One day, I'll scratchbuild a 1:48 scale - but that's a long way off...

I just checked AC Supply and Heavenly Hobbies.
While they still might list them (I don't know where you found the AC Supply Saturn V page) they are not in stock.
Heck, I was going to pick up a few!

I just checked AC Supply and Heavenly Hobbies.
While they still might list them (I don't know where you found the AC Supply Saturn V page) they are not in stock.
Heck, I was going to pick up a few!

I found them through a google search. Should have known it was too good to be true.

I bought one when I was 9 from my local hobby store. Cost around 70$. My mother told me not to open the box (cause I had a nasty habit of breaking rockets that I couldn't build) but I didn't listen to her and opened the box anyway. Sadly, I destroyed most of the parts. :(

I found them through a google search. Should have known it was too good to be true.

I fell for the same a few months ago.

On the other hand, there seems to be a spate of these for sale on Ebay...enough so that I'm wondering if Estes is planning on a re-release. Also on ebay are cool paper model towers and pads you can build for the Saturn V. :)

I have a couple of Saturn V projects slated for the future. I bought a sealed #2001 kit with the intent to scan and copy all the parts and build one from scratch. I have the correct body tubes ready to go, obtained an Estes Gauchito for the CSM and got the decals from Excelsior.

The second Saturn will be a downscale based on BT-70. Still collecting the parts for that. Just have to clear out a few other projects to make room.

Back