Build - Fire Flyer From Rocketry Warehouse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SkyRipper motors were always nice "rippers" for lack of a better term, so I do not believe low thrust will be an issue. Worst case, I tape off one side of each fin set, and fill the slot between the finds with JB Weld and make more surface area...Just kidding. I think I will be alright also. seeing the rocket all in one with the fins on really got me guessing.

Wildman has this in the larger sizes, I may have to give it a go on the next fiberglass kit.

First I have seen the economy size JB Weld kits... I may have to get you to pick some up for me... we do not have a local Menards. $8 is a good price for 5X the amount of epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALG8LO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following your build with great interest and I still havent stared on mine. I was going to go with JB weld too, but I think I'll try Rocket Poxy on this kit and use a foressent green pigment.
I did however model a rocksim file for it. Here's a link to it: https://www.rocketreviews.com/file-191048/RW FIRE FLYER 2.6.rkt

Cheers!

TimeBandit - Could you take your file, and extend the booster by 12" and let me know what the stability looks like? My RocSim is still not working, and I could use the peace of minds so to speak.

Thanks for that... $11 is still not that bad a price for the larger size.

Last edited by a moderator:
TimeBandit - Could you take your file, and extend the booster by 12" and let me know what the stability looks like? My RocSim is still not working, and I could use the peace of minds so to speak.

You may search it and find it for less than Amazon price, but that was the first link I saw.

I added 12" and a 6" coupler to the booster and ran simulations using three motors. 1) CTI J-500-rl 54mm 4-grain with only a 0.18 margin, the sim was successful to 8634' but I would add weight to the nose cone. 2) CTI K-750-rl 54mm 6-grain with only a 0.17 (go figure) margin to 10187' also would add weight to the cone. 3) CTI L-1030-rl 54mm 6XL Grain with only a 0.30 margin to 10786' still needs weight to nose cone. I ran all these simulations without epoxy, electronics or recovery hardware weight added, so I added 8oz to the nose cone and that fixed the margin bringing it up to 1.3 and better. Depending on how you build it, i might still add weight to the nose cone.
let me know if you need any more info, Cheers

also all exceeded mach 1.2 or better.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to do this for me, it is very much appreciated. I believe once recovery, avionics and all support hardware are added, nose weight will not be an issue with this build... At mach 1.2 I should probably be more concerned about fin flutter.

Minor update to this build; I have placed a small order to Rocketry Warehouse for a 2.5" length of coupler and a bulkhead to make a recovery attachment point for the booster. I'm not sure if I will secure it in with adhesive for permanent mounting, or with threaded inserts and screws for removable mounting. I will gauge the process more when the parts arrive.

FINALLY finished my fillets on my Fire Flyer. Made them too small at first, so sanded them down some and re-made them using a tongue depressor this time (originally used Popsicle stick). Ready to move on with the build. Images will come later, as I am waiting on a couple components to complete the booster build.

Your build looks great - IMHO the extra 12" gives it more of a classic sounding rocket appearance than the stock version on the RW website. You mentioned earlier you intend to paint it and I was just wondering what kind of paint you are intending to use? I understand +Mach speeds can cause blistering on the nosecone.

Good questions Tim51 - For the paint, I am planning to use the "Hammered" series paint from Rustoleum. Then make it in a nice Deep Green and Black...

12682.JPG

As for Mach+... not going to happen with the hybrids I will be using. I do expect some fast flights, but nothing to get hammered about...

As hybrids go, the motors are longer than it's solids-based motors brothers and sisters, so I think that a long slender rocket is perfect for the build... and yes, I think it kind of resemble a sounding rocket as well.

Last edited:
SkyRipper motors were designed so that the flier could use the upper bulkhead as a an option for booster recovery attachment point. For this build, I have decided to install a removeable booster recovery attachment point. For this a couple custom components were sourced from Rocketry Warehouse (prior to the whole black Friday fall-out). These simply consisted of a small piece of coupler, and a bulk plate machined like a lid. I added the stainless steel hardware for attachment.

bseavUx.jpg

Seen pictured here with 36" K-motor from SkyRipper, is a mock-up of how it will fit with relation to the motor.

YBEh8y9.jpg

Last edited:
Recovery attachment build is reall straight forward; the areas to receive JB WEld are sanded with 60-grit sand paper...

tTv3H5n.jpg

And the bonded together. Although not pictured, there is an internal fillet from the plate to the tube. Here I was batting around the idea of a JB WEld lock tight method, but will probably chip it off. Super glue had already been applied to the threads for positive locking of the nut to the eyebolt...

wgPPRQv.jpg

Last edited:
Johnnie, why did you decide on "removable" attach point? Isn't the Skyripper 54/1120 the longest they have? And it doesn't look like you could fit a 48" Contrail in that booster...

You are right, a 48" motor is out of the question... I tried to order a little longer booster than what I have, but the shipping began to rise exponentially... that and the rocket was long enough already. As for removeable recovery attachment; since all of the SkyRipper motors use a vent tube through the sidewall of the airframe, I could mount the vent hose into the bulkhead without having to drill a larger (than necessary) hole in order to see the vent hole location in the motor bulkhead. Viewing from the top is a little easier. When I ran a SkyRipper J144 I had a recovery failure; Through fault of my own, the bulkhead recovery attachment in the bulkhead unscrewed at apogee and I lost a booster and motor. Essentially all I am doing is reducing the duties of the bulkhead by one...

The installation of the booster attachment coupler was nominal (I love clinch nuts). I will need to find shorter screws, otherwise it should work great!

BJ5z9eZ.jpg

In this image you can see that room is at a premium, so this rocket will fly drogueless...

3EaVDGI.jpg

Last edited:
That will lead me into the avionics bay. Much to do here, even though I plan to use a 3D printed sled. To start things off, I have wicked the switch band to the coupler, with a modest band of thin CA from the top and bottom. The wicking process met in the middle through most of the adhesion, and will suffice. The tube and band clearance was so precise, that CA wicking was the obvious choice.

V6B15lg.jpg

Last edited:
Have you finished this rocket and flown it yet? It's a nice kit, I received one for Christmas.

All projects have been sidelined as my work area is piled with packed moving boxes... looking to move to Tennessee withing the next 4-months. At least that is the plan.

All projects have been sidelined as my work area is piled with packed moving boxes... looking to move to Tennessee withing the next 4-months. At least that is the plan.

I hope all goes well with the move. I won't be building mine anytime soon as I have way too many projects/fixes currently in the works. I'm sure this will be a blast to fly though. Good luck!

Finally got all of the images replaced in this thread... the photobucket ordeal has kept me busy across so many threads and forums trying to get all of my images replaced.

So we did not move away, and I am now trying to dig out from all of the moving boxes and packaging... Once I have my rockets unpacked, and my work area set-up again, I will continue and try to finish this build.

The first step was to prep the inside of the nosecone with 60-grit sand paper...

BwrQqgE.jpg

Along with the nosecone coupler...

qCGLMtq.jpg

Next I fit the all-thread rod to fit evenly between the coupler ends, then used Blue Thread locker to secure two nuts on either side of the bulkhead...

313qkF7.jpg

The all-thread assembly will be permanently mounted into the nosecone...

Dh4v6nn.jpg

I thought for sure that I had some basic construction epoxy, but I mistaken. I used JB Weld for this portion of the build.

o6VHCKG.jpg

Once the JB Weld was applied, I slid the coupler in, and then secured the all-thread (centered up) with the ending coupler bulkhead.

wr4pDNS.jpg

I'll give this a night to cure before installing the U-bolt attachment point.

I just stumbled on this thread. I really like this nose-cone design. It looks amenable to drilling a hole for an antenna in the anterior bulkhead to place a Tracker in that space. Tracker and Battery reside in the coupler area and the antenna is into free space of the nose cone shroud. Would just want to make certain that the all thread doesn't project up far into that area. Kurt

The all-thread was mount short on the bulkhead, very similar in length to the exposed length depicted in the last image. I am looking at adding an Egg Timer tracker of some sort, but need to look at spec's of the Egg Timer product line. The tracker would be used when I fly the rocket on the larger K-class hybrid.

I just stumbled on this thread. I really like this nose-cone design. It looks amenable to drilling a hole for an antenna in the anterior bulkhead to place a Tracker in that space. Tracker and Battery reside in the coupler area and the antenna is into free space of the nose cone shroud. Would just want to make certain that the all thread doesn't project up far into that area. Kurt

I have exactly the same kit waiting in the wings, and am toying with the idea of mounting EggFinder tracker into the nose cone.
The major concern that I have is the long metallic rode that will interfere with GPS antenna:
https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page28.php

I'm currently looking for alternative ways to secure the nose cone bulkhead that will eliminate antenna interference from metal rods traditionally used in securing removable bulkheads...

a

As part of my rocketry goals for 2023, I am reviving this thread after a 5-year hiatus. This build was shelved after I sold the SkyRipper Systems (SRS) hybrid hardware that I had planned to fly in this rocket. That, and my rocketry enthusiasm no longer lasts all year, maybe 3 months at best... so I try to build and move multiple project closer to completion, when the "fever" is upon me!

Starting last week, I ordered a replacement nosecone for this build, as the original Rocketry Warehouse cone did not have the metal tip, but rather a tip known for breaking on a side impact landing.

IMG_8793_Tip.png

Quick update; The cone I received from Madcow was identical to the cone I originally received with my Fire Flyer kit, not the described FWFG w/ metal tip. Madcow is working the descrepancy, and I hope we find a resolution.

Back