Decline in the USA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
I've read on here before (not sure where) that the rocketry hobby in the US is in decline. Is this actually true? If so what is the reason/s for the decline and what is the US rocketry community doing to reverse it?

SO.

Kids today are not the same kids we were. Where we were more adventurous and the tech was much lower, hands on was just the way we did things. Here's a little sample.

[video=youtube;KMy1zO8m8sM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM[/video]

I'd sooner believe that it declined in the '80s into the '90s, and we're seeing a resurgence today. But the hobby has fairly shifted from kids and model rockets to BARs with mid and high power, so I could certainly believe that Estes might be seeing a downturn. But other aspects of the hobby seem to be growing. To an extent, (my speculation) the hobby is probably made up of largely the same individuals that were involved as kids during the peak years. They skipped over the down years, for whatever their reasons, and found their way back later in life. Now they have more interest in bigger/faster/higher and more money to make it happen. The real trouble to watch out for - and I see this in other hobby areas as well - is that means that the average demographic has aged a bit. To keep things from stagnating, somehow new people, younger people, have to be fed into the machine at the entry level. Otherwise, the hobby will fade again as we BARs get older.

There have been a lot of discussions about how to expose kids to it, and how to get the hobby to catch their interest. I'm not sure what the formula is, but it probably has to be a combination of parents exposing their kids to new opportunities (rather than allowing them to sit on the couch) and clubs finding ways to reach out to those kids and parents. But I think it does have to start young and imprint on them as much as possible. Both of my younger nephews have taken an interest and go to club launches fairly frequently. My two older, college-age nephews had fleeting interest as kids, but didn't stick with it. Saying kids aren't the same today isn't really addressing the problem. Kids in my generation weren't the same as kids in my parent's generation either. These things are always changing, you can't expect them to be the same. Much of that is in the parenting, but much of it is also what is current and relevant to today's youth. Instead, if the hobby wants to prosper, the hobby has to adapt to the changing kids. Staying stagnate and lamenting that things are different these days achieves nothing. We'll have to take an active role with appealing to kids these days if we want things to continue.

Last edited:
Many reasons. Can't do rocketry sitting in front of a dumb screen. Getting harder to find launch sites. Local governments restricting use of public parks, less open undeveloped area near housing means you have to drive long distances for launches. Gone the days of popping down to the local sports field for a couple of hours. So local kids don't see you launching anymore and get excited.

This topic shows up here on occasion as it does on the model railroad forums.
There may be some way to wade through all the data accumulated by various agencies but again; maybe not.
Which example demonstrates a “Healthier” state of a hobby?

A: 100,000 participants each spending $100 a year for a total of $10,000,000 a year.
B: 10,000 participants each spending $2,000 a year for a total of $20,000,000 a year.
C: 5,000 participants each spending $10,000 a year for a total of $50,000,000 a year.

I’m pretty sure that in sheer number of participants model railroading is in decline, in fact I personally think it is in serious decline, but in dollars spent it might not be too far off what it was 10 or 15 years ago.
Rocketry is probably in much the same situation.
Declining numbers but increasing dollars spent by those who remain.
When both of those factors go into decline then the end will come swiftly as company after company begins chasing after a greater share of a shrinking market.

With both rocketry and model railroads a hobbyist needs three things to actively participate.
1: Time
2: Money
3: Room
Now the first one “Time” we have a constant 24 hours a day and you can’t spend ALL of them on your hobby. With trains your time is spent building and operating your layout. You don’t, by and large; have to spend time traveling in order to participate.
With rocketry travel is often mandatory especially if you fly mid and high power rockets. Heck even many of my BP two stage rockets fly higher than I can get away with at my town’s Bigopenparkthingey.
So with rocketry you have to spend time, sometimes a lot of it, just getting to where you can participate.
Now obviously you have to have money to participate in MR or rocketry and in both cases the extent to which you involve yourself in either hobby pretty much determines how much you spend.
But then we get to that “Travel” item which is so much a necessity for mid and HP rockets. Now money is being spent just for the opportunity to participate. It doesn’t buy you a new rocket or motor or anything else of a tangible/durable nature.

Finely we get to room. With Trains “Room” means exactly that; a space wherein you can build your layout.
With Rocketry “Room” gets a little bit more complex. Yes you need somewhere to build and store your rockets but you also need “Roooooooooooooooooom” to fly them (See Travel Above) and that room can go away for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with you and yours.

My point in this long winded diatribe is this; time, money and room are in ever decreasing amounts with an ever growing percentage of the population and those declines hit rocketry far more severely than they do model trains.

Now if model railroading is in decline and I think it is; then the same factors that are leading to this decline are affecting rocketry as well. And IMO, even more so.

Or I could be full of crap.

Actually there is in fact a forth factor you need; health and the less I say about that the better.

One aspect of many hobbies, is the apparent lack of process / involvement. Too many people these days seem to be too quick to try something, and strive for the quick immediate outcome / end result. As I've seen in other hobbies (R/C planes & cars) they (the manufacturers) seem to cater to this with prebuilt / prefinished cars & planes. No longer are you required to 'earn' the right by building or assembling the vehicle. Very few 'action' hobbies require you to build anything anymore. Rocketry is probably the one exception, except maybe a large custom train set.. R/C boating too, but that is also slowly changing..

So, my question is, is it the kids who fain interest in building, or is the parents who dissuade the kids from trying...

One factor may be current culture and popular interests. I'd guess that rocketry was really big in the 50's when the moon landings really riled everyone up. Then again in the 80's with the Space Shuttles and their fantastic launches. Now maybe the Mars and Pluto missions along with Space-X may renew interests in things again.

One aspect of many hobbies, is the apparent lack of process / involvement. Too many people these days seem to be too quick to try something, and strive for the quick immediate outcome / end result. As I've seen in other hobbies (R/C planes & cars) they (the manufacturers) seem to cater to this with prebuilt / prefinished cars & planes. No longer are you required to 'earn' the right by building or assembling the vehicle. Very few 'action' hobbies require you to build anything anymore. Rocketry is probably the one exception, except maybe a large custom train set.. R/C boating too, but that is also slowly changing..

So, my question is, is it the kids who fain interest in building, or is the parents who dissuade the kids from trying...
I took a big interest in O scale model railroading not to operate trains, but to build huge scale bridges, water towers, turn of the century buildings, trees etc. I ran the trains 5% of the time and scratch built 95% of the time. Due to lack of space for all my hobbies, I run the trains around the ceiling.

One factor may be current culture and popular interests. I'd guess that rocketry was really big in the 50's when the moon landings really riled everyone up. Then again in the 80's with the Space Shuttles and their fantastic launches. Now maybe the Mars and Pluto missions along with Space-X may renew interests in things again.
The culture today seems to enjoy communicating with others with lightning speed. They enjoy team interaction with other classmates on Xbox and Playstation without them actually being in the same room. We are living in a fast paced world with speed dating, quick easy meals, drive through weddings and car washes. Everybody wants the work cut out for them. Why go to the library or a bookstore when you have internet for info. Don't need CD's, yellow pages or Penny Saver any more. The times are changing for sure.

Last edited:
The hobby has never been stronger ! WOOSH...POP...YEEEEHAA !!!

(prove me wrong :confused2: :grin:)

The hobby has never been stronger ! WOOSH...POP...YEEEEHAA !!!

(prove me wrong :confused2: :grin:)

You may be right - but I don't think that you can argue that the audience hasn't shifted. So, the bigger issue to me isn't is the hobby strong, but rather what are we going to do to propagate it forward?

As mentioned above, getting young people to engage is changing and we have to adapt to get their attention. Without young people coming into the hobby, the hobby will eventually die.

You may be right - but I don't think that you can argue that the audience hasn't shifted. So, the bigger issue to me isn't is the hobby strong, but rather what are we going to do to propagate it forward?

As mentioned above, getting young people to engage is changing and we have to adapt to get their attention. Without young people coming into the hobby, the hobby will eventually die.

Launch a rocket with your {son, daughter, niece, nephew, neighbor, random kid off the street}. If they become a lifelong builder, great. Repeat ad infinitum.

Having taken in everyone's input here, and expressing my beliefs, I have already tried to push it forward. My daughter thought she might be interested, and built one rocket with me. I tried to get her to to indulge a little more but she quickly lost interest. She also had no interest in Barbie dolls either. Next was my buddy Sean and his two kids. It looked like Denim was was hooked at first and his sister seemed to enjoy it as well. But again, we lost due to the more interesting video games and the like. When I was a kid, we had the whole neighborhood involved. Parents as well. Today, it's not the same. People don't communicate the same. (Commercial) Dad is sitting between two young girls that are texting each other in the same room. He asked if they were texting each other, and they answer with a serious "YES". This kind of activity is no joke. They're doing it because it fun to them. Kids are different today, whether you embrace the fact or not. It didn't take parental input back in the day to get us into model rocketry. In fact, we kids introduced it to our parents and they got involved. Big difference.

Having taken in everyone's input here, and expressing my beliefs, I have already tried to push it forward.

THIS ! :point: (emphasis added) The rest is just noise. Don't stop pushing.

(Gary, I didn't mean to imply that your points were noise. All the distractions are real. I just choose to go along one launch opportunity at a time. I still believe in the power of WOOSH...POP)

Last edited:
Instant gratification + artificial intelligence = rewards without thought. Next!

It didn't take parental input back in the day to get us into model rocketry.

No, my folks had to come up with ways of keeping me and my buddies from finding new and exciting ways to blow ourselves up. And rockets were functional subsystems of all kinds of mayhem. No we did not have the safety code and could not of cared less about it if we did. Loading a model rocket with fireworks was a rite of passage.

No, my folks had to come up with ways of keeping me and my buddies from finding new and exciting ways to blow ourselves up. And rockets were functional subsystems of all kinds of mayhem. No we did not have the safety code and could not of cared less about it if we did. Loading a model rocket with fireworks was a rite of passage.

Ah yes. The good ole days.

M-80.jpg

THIS ! :point: (emphasis added) The rest is just noise. Don't stop pushing.

(Gary, I didn't mean to imply that your points were noise. All the distractions are real. I just choose to go along one launch opportunity at a time. I still believe in the power of WOOSH...POP)

Not to worry samb. I do try to get people acquainted with the hobby, even in this backward, inbred, podunk, ignorant, self serving town I live in. Most of these people never heard of model rocketry and think they're elaborate fireworks. FWIW, I could still add a number of colorful adjectives to the list describing this screwy little town I live in.

Launch a rocket with your {son, daughter, niece, nephew, neighbor, random kid off the street}. If they become a lifelong builder, great. Repeat ad infinitum.

Great idea.

According to the NAR on Facebook:
. .I'm pleased to announce that NAR# 100000 was issued Saturday to a 10-year-old (how fitting!) from Monroe, Washington. NAR numbers are almost, but not quite, reflective of actual numbers of members (people may rejoin and get assigned a new number, for example), but by any measure this is a milestone well worth celebrating!

So it is safe to say we are slowly growing,
Thats only nar who knows how many unregistered modelers

Back