Standby models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubohuntr

Reaction score
We've all got the stars; you know, the model you spent hundreds of hours finishing, and look forward to launching during the 10k window at the next launch. But I know I can't afford more than a couple of high end reloads per launch.

What do you fly the rest of the time?

I can afford to launch a couple dozen BP motors. So the star goes back in the truck and the garbage pail kids come out to play. They're old, they're tired, and they're not pretty, but they get more airtime than all the pretty ones. The boss of this bunch is a 40 year old original Red Max. I have launched it literally hundreds of times, rebuilt it at least ten times, and it's still my go-to. When I run out of C6-5s, I launch what's left of a mini Patriot. It's beat up, bent, and melted in spots, but it's still a hoot to fly.

There are a few scratch built abominations in the box. Did you know, for example, that four 13mm motor mounts fit perfectly into a BT-55? Just sayin'. Four A10s equal a C, not huge, but that little cluster is a lot of fun to fly. It's ugly, not sanded or sealed, and spray painted fluorescent orange, but it's in my top three. It flies three or four times on a good weekend.

I'm collecting parts to build a Flying Jenny and a Mach 10, and maybe I will get my Comanche back together someday, although after it went cruise missile at LDRS a few years ago I don't trust it much. I scratch build a Wizard every few years, and usually lose it on the first launch. And I do have a Fat Boy in the bag that I may get around to building, but the Red Max will always be my favourite.

So what's in YOUR utility box?

Hi new guy :) The old Bullpup, many times flown and many times repaired. It's a very sturdy and it has a fast turnaround.

Welcome to the forum.
My son built an Estes Guardian as a Cub Scout project ~5 years ago. The first flight was his introduction to powered flight and the beginning of my BAR journey.
That has flown nearly a hundred times and been rebuilt more than I can count. Only one of the canards is secured with the original adhesive and the paint has not been touched since it was built. We are of the mind that scars are memories; and memories are good things.
He is now a TMP level 1 flyer and I got my L3 this spring. Who would have thought that a $12 bag of cardboard and wood could lead to that?
You got some wonderful images to percolate up in my mind. Thanks

3 or 4FNC, I like tall rockets. Scars add character, fly 'em until they are unrepairable or lost.

... fly 'em until they are unrepairable or lost.

Yeah, that would be me. Whenever I do a build, I have "given birth" to a new creation. And when this new creation has accidents I repair it and try to restore it back to its original state whenever possible. I treat all my creations this way until they are lost or otherwise wrecked beyond repair.

Estes Alpha on a streamer. It's probably 25 years old now. Flies nice on smaller motors and won't drift too far away making it perfect for backyard flying. I also have a ton of flights on my Estes Patriot. That thing just keeps going and going, never even broke a fin on it.

Back