Outboard Boosters in Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked high and low and tried everything I could think of, does anyone know how to do outboard boosters in OR? I'm thinking something like a Titan III... I tried looking for a Rocsim file for a Titan III to see how it might be done, no luck.

It can't, unfortunately. That's what drove me to finally getting RocSim - so I could do my Bx5 cluster model for NARAM last year. (four pods around a central core).

You can get the sim to look right visually, but it can't handle calculations to sim correctly. As BEC said, Rocsim can handle it. Means I'm going to have to get a copy...

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to pony up $125 for RocSim, or just build the rocket and do the good 'ol swing test.

It is possible, but OP doesn't calculate the drag. And you can't add nose cones...

This is one of the rockets I'm building. It is starting as a cluster and the central will be a long burn.

Use the Inner tube, add a tube, go in the "this is a motor tube" click for this option, then in cluster mode. Select 2 or more and separate them from each other using "separate the tubes" until they are around the central airframe.

Steeve

Angara-1 Steeve1.jpg

Angara-1 Steeve.jpg

3.JPG

Last edited:
I could live without accurate flight sim figures, I'm probably going DD anyway, but not having the CP kinda makes this a moot point.

The trial of Rocksim is 30 days and sims up to apogee.

The Titan boosters didn't move the Cp forward as much as I thought they would. I built a mini BT50/20/13mm version for testing. Rocksim helped explain why some flights were stable and some were sky writers.

Back