Estes Crayon Series Discussion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estescrayonrocket

Reaction score
I have a Satellite Silver and I just ordered a Blast-off Blue and Rocket Red. I am creating this thread for discussions on the crayon series.
Today I had an incident where the masking tape on the launch rod stretched and the rocket got stuck on the pole. It burned through a B6-4 on the pad and then the nose cone untied from the shock cord. Mine only go to 160 feet using the B6-4.
What do you have to say about your crayon?

I have an orange one. I have found that the lower delay motors work best. I've flown mine about a dozen times. With the longer delays, it usually opens up on the way down and shreds the chute. I made a 6 gore 12 inch full hemisphere nylon chute for it, and it works perfectly!

I think I used a C6-5 on my first flight. Never again as it opened very late. I only use C6-3s now.

I think I used a C6-5 on my first flight. Never again as it opened very late. I only use C6-3s now.
I ordered a Blast Off variety motor pack and will use the C6-3 and C6-5 on it. Will see which motor works better with it. I am also getting the Blue and Red ones along with a HiJinks RTF.

I ordered a Blast Off variety motor pack and will use the C6-3 and C6-5 on it. Will see which motor works better with it. I am also getting the Blue and Red ones along with a HiJinks RTF.

Try the C6-3 first and watch when the chute deploys. If it deploys close to, or after, apogee then I wouldn't even think of trying a C6-5.

Last edited:
Every time I've flown on a C6-5 it's deployed WAY after apogee, and it's especially bad when the wind weather cocks it. Likewise a B6-4 is too late and the B6-2 seems about perfect. If my Estes altimeter is to be believed, the highest we've gotten ours is a little shy of 250 feet.

Last edited:
My B6-4s take me to 170 feet and deploy at around 30-60 feet and it has enough time to sail down. Ima play it safe, B6-4s, C6-3s, and maybe mess around with an A8-3.
I also got a Patriarch on the way. Didnt get the other stuff yet as I'm awaiting more money.

If the rocket goes to 170 feet and you are deploying the parachute at 30-60 feet you are risking what we call a zipper. That is when the shock cord cuts into the body tube because the rocket is traveling fast when the parachute opens. Trust me, they are really ugly and should be avoided. You really want the chute to open near the top of the flight as this is when the rocket has the least speed and the chance of as zipper is very low.

..... and maybe mess around with an A8-3.

From the Estes site:

Recommended Engines: B4-2 (first flight), B6-2, B6-4, C6-5

A8-3's will probably be unsafe. They're rated for rockets that weigh less than 3 ounces WITH motor. The stock crayon WITHOUT motor or wadding is advertised at 2.8 ounces alone. The motor weighs in at about .6 ounces, then add wadding. Your call, but with my club, you'dd never pass RSO check.

Please be careful.

Last edited:
From the Estes site:

Recommended Engines: B4-2 (first flight), B6-2, B6-4, C6-5

A8-3's will probably be unsafe. They're rated for rockets that weigh less than 3 ounces WITH motor. The stock crayon WITHOUT motor or wadding is advertised at 2.8 ounces alone. The motor weighs in at about .6 ounces, then add wadding. Your call, but with my club, you'dd never pass RSO check.

Please be careful.

You said you flew it with an altimeter...how much does that weigh?

I wonder why anyone would have more than one of these crayons...but then I have a soft spot in my heart for Star Troopers so who am I to judge ;)

You said you flew it with an altimeter...how much does that weigh?

I fly the altimeter in my crayon on the C6 motor. Fully packed and ready to launch with the altimeter weighed right at the max of 4 ounces for the motor with my crayon and estes sheet wadding. :wink:

RSO passed it, flown it like that about a half dozen times, no instability and plenty of power.

Last edited:
If the rocket goes to 170 feet and you are deploying the parachute at 30-60 feet you are risking what we call a zipper. That is when the shock cord cuts into the body tube because the rocket is traveling fast when the parachute opens. Trust me, they are really ugly and should be avoided. You really want the chute to open near the top of the flight as this is when the rocket has the least speed and the chance of as zipper is very low.
I meant 130-160 feet Im sorry.

AT D21 and D24 is what I used. I find the Estes 18mm too underpowered for this rocket.

I got an Alien Green as a bonus from a buddy I buy from.
I put it in a box and forgot about it.
Said it was ready to fly.
Maybe I'll bring it back out and bash it for the E9's.
Largest Reccommended engine is C6-5. Really, you should use at the biggest a C6-3 or it will weathervane on recovery.

Largest Reccommended engine is C6-5. Really, you should use at the biggest a C6-3 or it will weathervane on recovery.

My son flies his on B6-2's and gets perfect flights every time. As for converting the Crayons to larger BP motors, the fin unit is a motor retainer and is all plastic, modifying is more trouble than its worth.

Back