Launch tower set up/tie downs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many tie downs do you use?

• 4 adjustable

• 3 adjustable

• 2 fixed, 2 adjustable

• 2 fixed, 1 adjustable

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how to set up my launch tower at Aeronaut next weekend. For those of you that have used one do you use 3/4 adjustable tie downs or do you use a couple fixed and a couple adjustable? My current thinking is to use 2 fixed and one adjustable. Stand the tower up so that it's leaning slightly towards the fixed ties and then tighten the adjustable strap until they are all under tension.

Another way to do a set up is to make a way to mount it to a launch rail on an existing pad.

I use three adjustable straps, which allows me to angle it in any direction:
070.jpg

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure how the pads at the launch would handle a 30lb. tower hanging with its CG 9" off to the side.

Another way to do a set up is to make a way to mount it to a launch rail on an existing pad.

Thanks for the picture Wayco. I had also wondered if I should tie off the top or center ring. I thought it'd be more stable by tying off the top. There's a chance some larger projects may be using my tower.

I use three adjustable straps, which allows me to angle it in any direction:
070.jpg

This works with small, stiff, towers. However, I looked at Chris's webpage. He makes serious towers for large projects - 10' feet tall with EMT tubing. It needs to stand alone.

I have a large tower that I use mounted to a Three leg pay that is like A Coker pad.

It would be pretty easy to add a pair of rail guides to my existing design if I had a pad sturdy enough to hold it.

You can buy unistrut 2'-14' that I know about in 2' denominations. I also have three 10' 1515 rails.

I'll use 3x 12' tie downs on the middle ring like Wayne did on his tower for everything up to 54mm. For 75mm and up I made up 2x 20' and 1x 15' guy wires to attach to the top ring. I can use a tie down strap to adjust the shorter wire and then move the base around as Mike suggested. I'll report back next week.

Hey Chuck,

Do you know what size the Unistrut you use is? I'm thinking that a generic bracket with 1/4"-3/8" holes for the rail guides/nuts would work for 1010, 1515 and unistrut, but I'd like to check the dimensions.

Thanks,

Chris

You can buy unistrut 2'-14' that I know about in 2' denominations. I also have three 10' 1515 rails.

Last edited:
The tower worked out great. For my L265 flight I used 3x 12ft lashing straps between the center ring and the ground. I left 2 full length and just tightened the third to put them all under tension. For the M2245 and M1200 flights I used 2x 1/8" x 20ft guy wires and one 1/8" x 15ft guy wire with a lashing strap between one end and the ground. Each time we stood the tower up, cinched the strap tight and then hammered 2-3 12" spikes through the bottom ring into the ground.

Hey Chuck,

Do you know what size the Unistrut you use is? I'm thinking that a generic bracket with 1/4"-3/8" holes for the rail guides/nuts would work for 1010, 1515 and unistrut, but I'd like to check the dimensions.

Thanks,

Chris

I use 1 5/8 inch unistrut. The buttons would work as a point of attachment. The buttons have 1/4-20 bolts.

Back