Aunt VS Aunt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt VS Aunt

• Aunt (ant)

• Aunt (ah)

• Aunt (ain’t)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly poll, but there is a reason for me to know how this community feels about the pronunciation of the title “Aunt”. For many years, here on the east coast, the (ant) accent on the word Aunt, was the given. Even the broadcasters of radio and TV said Aunt (ant). Anymore, the broadcasters have migrated to the Aunt (ah) pronunciation.

The only other people here in my neck of the woods that used the (ah) pronunciation, were folks from the north with a heavy Yankee accent, or the African American community. Dictionary.com goes with (ant) & (ah) so I suppose it's those two that are dominant. And according to a survey, the following choices were listed. There were more than these three, but it seems these are the most frequent used accents I know of. The other listings in the survey seem to point more to the (ah) factor anyway. Funny, I’m in the lowest percentage using the (ain’t) version. Must be a Carolina thing. How do you say, “Aunt”?

My "Ain't" Rosa Lee (Ain't Ree) is from Long Island NY and even SHE says "Ain't" for Aunt. She's an exception to the rule though. Or an anomaly.

My aunt Ruby(ant Ruby) lives in south GA. Her yard is covered with fire ants(fire ants) , and there ain't (ante) no way I'm goin(going) out there! On the other hand Aunt May(Antae May) , in Virginia, has aints(ants) in her cabinets. She also has a bottle tree to keep the haints(haunts--ghosts--people in sheets) away from the garden!

Unfortunately this poll will not resolve the larger question, "where do cousins come from?"

Has anyone gone to see the new Aunt-Man movie? He's a super hero with the ability to shrink to the size of his mom's sister!

For the record I voted for "ant" because it rhymes with "can't" as in "No, you can't date my daughter!"

[video=youtube;I-nkLMWDUt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-nkLMWDUt4[/video]

All of my relatives are aunts (ants) but I have occasionally used the pronunciation of aunt (ahnt) in speech where I needed to be clear which meaning was intended. I don't recall why, as the two would not often be confused, but it is a good way to differentiate them in spoken language.

Unfortunately this poll will not resolve the larger question, "where do cousins come from?"

When I was a wee lad, I was told the milkman brought them.

After I got older it was a sailor...several of them!

My cousin, from my "ANT" Clarissa, was home port too many sailors. :grin:

This may seem like a silly poll, but there is a reason for me to know how this community feels about the pronunciation of the title “Aunt”.
OK, I dutifully voted. But I must point out that you have not revealed this alleged ("alej'd" or "a ledge Ed"?) reason that you need to know.

All of my relatives are aunts (ants) but I have occasionally used the pronunciation of aunt (ahnt) in speech where I needed to be clear which meaning was intended. I don't recall why, as the two would not often be confused, but it is a good way to differentiate them in spoken language.
I guess you're talking about distinguishing relatives from insects, yes? I do the same; it's the ant pronunciation unless there's a chance of confusion in which case it shifts to either awnt or ahnt - which I consider interchangeable - with audible air quotes in my voice.

potato or potato?
tomato or tomato?
I heard a tale once of a singer handed the sheet music for "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" who didn't know the song, so didn't get the point. It was rather confusing. "What the heck is this: 'You say potato, I say potato.' So why are we talking about potatoes? Why should we call anything off?" Sure, it could have been written out as "You say potayto, I say potahto" but it wasn't.

OK, I dutifully voted. But I must point out that you have not revealed this alleged ("alej'd" or "a ledge Ed"?) reason that you need to know.

Well, I sorta already did in my opening statement. The media decided many years ago, to use the "ahnt" reference instead of the (ant), and I was wondering if this was the politically correct pronunciation these days. Plus I was just curious since I am the Ain't Helen, Ain't Grace, Ain't Betty.... Ooooh Ain't Betty! I remember that song. Oh oh Ain't Betty bam-a-lam, Oh oh Ain't Betty bam-a-lam, Ain't Betty had a child, bam-a-lam the damn thing gone....uh...er...OOPS! That was Black Betty. Never mind.

Funny, I’m in the lowest percentage using the (ain’t) version. Must be a Carolina thing. How do you say, “Aunt”?
I don't say ain't - I tend to use ant. Still, my hillbilly accent seems to have gotten stronger over the years. I find myself saying cain't instead of can't.

Doug

The only other people here in my neck of the woods that used the (ah) pronunciation, were folks from the north with a heavy Yankee accent, or the African American community.
It's interesting you should note that. On "Sanford and Son", it always struck me as being particularly formal when Lamont would mention "Ahnt Esther", especially for someone in Watts :) But, these are the little things that make the world go round.

Doug

I ain't never called my Ant Aunt.

SOMEBODY had to do that.....:)

Phil L.

Back