Reminder to Veterans with private insurance...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just because your private insurance will not cover (or completely cover) your A) Hernia operation B) your Sleep study for Apnea. C) your other medical needs, doesn't mean that the VA wont.

It is possible for people to forget about having VA coverage for such things (I know I did :facepalm:), and miss important opportunities to save money or get needed care due to financial concerns. :sad:

I've since requested that the Student Heath and Counseling Center add two questions to their referral sheets.

Are you a veteran?
Have you contacted the VA?

I just got told that I'm qualified for a sleep study. Problem is, the first appointment is Sept 3 (I may be in China on August 26 (or sooner)). I could have had this done years ago when I needed it. Don't worry, I got myself on a please-call-me-if-someone-cancels list, and LUCKY for me... Someone did (today). Time between original call from VA to schedule the appointment, and the call asking me to come in tonight? 3 hours. :grin:

All The Best!
Jim

Now for something completely different:

[video=youtube;Uai7M4RpoLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uai7M4RpoLU[/video]​

Good luck sleeping a strange place.
When I went for my sleep study, they told me I might have trouble falling asleep with all sensors and wires hooked up.

I was out in less than 15 minutes.

They woke me up after 2 hours to hook up a CPAP machine since I stopped breathing about every 3 minutes.

I was tired all the time and my wife told me I stopped breathing at night but when I told my doctor, he just shrugged it off and said I was fine.

When I changed doctors and told him the same thing, he scheduled a sleep study for the earliest possible time.

If you think you have Sleep Apnea, don't let the doctor blow you off. It turned out my study was covered 100% by my insurance.

Last edited:
+1 to what Bob says.

Also, mild cases of sleep apnea may not require a CPAP machine, but can often be improved by using a dental appliance (wearing a "snore guard") at night. My wife and I both use these. Much less intrusive than a CPAP machine and they let us get a good night's sleep.

Marc

Jim is right. Don't be afraid to check in with VA for health care. You might be surprised at the number of things that can be taken care of. I went there for hearing loss and even after 40 years of separation they (VA) determined it was service related hearing loss. I get hearing aids for free along with the batteries. They said I should have come in sooner.

Also, people should know if they have older relatives/friends whatever who are veterans, they can also potentially qualify for treatment. The VA has a lot of specialty clinics and stuff for geriatric patients, which might be nice if the person is having problems finding providers who will take Medicare.

And the VA will also take care of indigent vets, whether they are service connected or not.

The VA definitely has gotten better over the past 2 decades...it isn't like the old days. The real problem nowadays is getting past the bean counters to be seen by actual medical staff, once you make it to the medical folks you are generally in pretty good hands.

Well, I've been absolutely slammed for the last few days (weeks actually). I went to the VA originally on Monday July 6, and was able to update my status with them (and have something looked at that was concerning me via the ER). I saw a (temporary) primary care on Friday the 17th, and was able to get my list of health concerns into the record (vision, apnea, and a cancer screening (a family member had some pre-cancerous polyps removed during an examination, and despite the recommendation of him to me, and my sister to be screened at or around 40, the insurance refused to cover it)).

Monday, I got my appointment for vision made (had the appointment today). Tuesday I got called about the sleep study (and was actually able to get in that night). Today, I've made the appointment with the GI. However, that appointment is scheduled for AFTER I'm in China (presuming everything works out tomorrow). I've asked to be placed on a list for people to call if a slot opens up.

I've got to say, I'm quite pleased with the level of service at the VA. I know they had some rough patches in the past, but for me, they've been a Godsend.

I've also got another appointment with the sleep study people, but I may try to rush that one too, as I think my mask isn't able to handle the pressure needed to help me at night (I'm getting loud hisses and other noises that have woken me up). Still, I've got all new gear and a current prescription.

Be careful, I was told that if I use my VA benefits my employer provided BCBS ($11,000 Deductible) insurance becomes my secondary insurance for every thing. I have also been told that using my VA benefits it could mess up my employer funded HSA account. Apparently it has something to do with the ACA.

Be careful, I was told that if I use my VA benefits my employer provided BCBS ($11,000 Deductible) insurance becomes my secondary insurance for every thing. I have also been told that using my VA benefits it could mess up my employer funded HSA account. Apparently it has something to do with the ACA.

Just did some quick research and yes, Using VA benefits does have an effect on your HSA. For the most part, you can't contribute to an HSA for 3 months after accepting VA benefits. There are 3 MAIN exceptions though to the HSA rule that I am seeing:

1) Dental
2) Vision
3) Preventive care (Child and adult, includes immunizations)

I also saw some sources that said weight loss benefits and Tobacco cessation also don't affect HSAs, but not being an expert, I would make sure to ask either your HR department or the VA about that.

When I went for my sleep study, they told me I might have trouble falling asleep with all sensors and wires hooked up.

I was out in less than 15 minutes.

They woke me up after 2 hours to hook up a CPAP machine since I stopped breathing about every 3 minutes.

I was tired all the time and my wife told me I stopped breathing at night but when I told my doctor, he just shrugged it off and said I was fine.

When I changed doctors and told him the same thing, he scheduled a sleep study for the earliest possible time.

If you think you have Sleep Apnea, don't let the doctor blow you off. It turned out my study was covered 100% by my insurance.

My most recent sleep study a year and a half ago showed "severe" sleep apnea (supposedly 80 some apneas per hour although in 2 studies the most they got was about 90 minutes because I tore the monitor off in my sleep (home sleep study device)). So for the 3rd time they put me on a CPAP, this one an "APAP" which automatically adjusts the pressure. Despite months of trying last year, I can't get more than a couple hours sleep with that dang thing in my face, it constantly wakes me up and the pressure ramps up so much that the mask starts "hopping" on my face and leaking. Plus last year I had 4 severe bronchitis episodes, one which led to me having to go on prednisone and triggered bilateral ear infections that caused significant hearing loss ... every time corresponding to using the CPAP. I finally put the thing back in its case and it sits by my closet. No more bronchitis episodes and I sleep, if not well, much better than with that thing. It was a complete waste of time and money for me honestly.

Back