Smart Watches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you getting an Apple Watch?

• I already have an Apple Watch

• I already have another smart watch (Pebble, Android, etc.)

• I will get an Apple Watch as soon as I can swing it

• I will get a non-Apple smart watch soon

• I'm still wondering why someone would want a smart watch

• I decided I DON'T ever want a smart watch

• I don't even wear a dumb watch

• I think it would be cool to monitor my rockets from my wrist

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Beans

Founder, Jolly Logic
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in how rocketeers might/might not use smart watches in the future.
My working hypothesis is that, despite the fact that rocketry appears to be inherently an "equipment sport," that rocketeers are no more likely to own a smartwatch than the general populace. Another way to say that is that if you're a "gadget person" and a rocketeer, you most likely want a smart watch. If you're a rocketeer and NOT a gadget person, you probably don't want one.
But let's see.

Oh yeah, just what the tech junkie needs. Another monthly bill to the internet service or the phone company. Bah Humbug! I don't even own a watch.

No bill. It works with my cell. It documents my steps for fitness. Smart watches are awesome.

I fly rockets, am a gadget guy, a watch guy, and an Apple fanboy to boot, and I have no interest in an iWatch or any smart watch.

The iMac, iPod, iPhone, an iPad were all game-changers. They each redefined how we used PCs, Walkmans, cell phones, and tablets. They were flawless in their execution and intuitive. My 93 year old grandfather has an iPad.

What is the point of a smart watch? It doesn't do anything my iPhone can't do or it needs to be linked to my iPhone to do it. There are a couple exceptions, like the health tracker stuff, but most haven't come into their own yet and are not things I find myself wishing I had.

I'm actually starting to grow tired of the always-connected-constantly-upgrading-pay-per-month devices. I find myself moving away from that and more towards living with less. With the exception of rockets of course.

when they can wedge the entire iphone into a watch, I'll probably be in. right now it's just a remote screen....and a bit too pricey for that. I do think smart watches are the future, though in a bit different form. (I'm thinking a bit bigger screens, seems obnoxious now, but I think it'll catch on)
latest

In short..... not yet man... what -do- I want? entire DD av bays I can flip a hatch open, recharge it, replace the ignitors, and set events with an LCD screen, that auto logs to my iphone and provides in flight telemetry and GPS locating. That's the dream. Open a box, attach two quick links and go. I HATE building av bays.

I work at a large well known Silicon Valley company where the the parking lot is full of Teslas and the latest tech trends are consumed with much enthusiasm and even in this target rich environment I have only seen a couple smart watches in the wild. I don't see them as game changing tech.

I fly rockets, am a gadget guy, a watch guy, and an Apple fanboy to boot, and I have no interest in an iWatch or any smart watch.

The iMac, iPod, iPhone, an iPad were all game-changers. They each redefined how we used PCs, Walkmans, cell phones, and tablets. They were flawless in their execution and intuitive. My 93 year old grandfather has an iPad.

What is the point of a smart watch? It doesn't do anything my iPhone can't do or it needs to be linked to my iPhone to do it. There are a couple exceptions, like the health tracker stuff, but most haven't come into their own yet and are not things I find myself wishing I had.

I'm actually starting to grow tired of the always-connected-constantly-upgrading-pay-per-month devices. I find myself moving away from that and more towards living with less. With the exception of rockets of course.

Have you tried it?

I work at a large well known Silicon Valley company where the the parking lot is full of Teslas and the latest tech trends are consumed with much enthusiasm and even in this target rich environment I have only seen a couple smart watches in the wild. I don't see them as game changing tech.

If I see a smartwatch and google glass on the same person I fill my bingo card.

I don't have a smart watch but I do have a Fitbit Charge HR for fitness monitoring, and I like it.

I wear a Casio CA-50-based calculator watch and have for many many years. And I find the idea of the Apple Watch very intriguing (though I don't know why, really). As an iPhone 6+ and AltimeterThree user moving some aspects of current and future A3 operation to something on my wrist has some appeal in the medium term. I think I'm going to wait for WatchOS 2.0 at least (and a large chunk of relatively disposable funds just went to cancer surgery for one of our corgis, so the Apple Watch acquisition time line has been moved to the right some).

But then John already knows this of me (except the big about the corgi and the four-figure vet bill).

I might like the watch, however as of now have not seen any pressing reason to try it. Nobody has presented a use case that comes close to justifying the cost.

Sounds like yet another device that's designed by the marketing department as a solution searching for a problem, and to be obsolete in six months. I can't imagine it would hold up well on a rocket range, either.

A couple of year's back I bought one of those wrist cell phone/watches. $85.00 waste of money. Speaker too small, buttons too small and battery dies in 2 days.

I just do a Casio now and am going to get my 1970's Omega Speedmaster Pro Mark II overhauled. Dad got it for me for high school graduation so there's sentimental value there. https://keepthetime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=184 Kurt

Back