Largest Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically not HPR, but the biggest I can think of is Jeff Jakob's R10,000 hybrid.

S50,100 was the motor used in the CSXT attempt. :)

Last edited:
I suppose you could argue that CSXT is private, but not amateur. Since Derek worked as a professional and then there's Ky...

Last edited:
Did anybody else notice the 1/2 inch wall thickness of the motor case on the go fast rocket?
What's surprising about that? The casing needs to be thicker to carry the mechanical loads.

Scale down a 10" casing to a 4" casing (40%) so the 10" OD casing with a 0.5" wall thickness becomes a 4" OD casing with a 0.2" wall thickness. That's not a standard size so most folks use a 3/16" wall = 0.1875". It's close enough for me.

Since that is an amateur rocket and not a high power rocket, I'm a little surprised they didn't use a welded steel casing which could be thinner as the strength to weigh of steel and aluminum is about the same, but the propellant capacity would be 14% higher with the thinner steel wall. My guess is that a slightly longer aluminum pipe would be considerably cheaper than a custom 1-off welded steel casing.

Bob

A tech article on the 2004 CSXT GoFast S Motor by Derek Deville was published in the April 2012 issue of Rockets Magazine (Volume 7, Issue 1). I'd like to see Rockets Magazine put the tech article up on their web site as a pdf download.

A thread on the 2004 CSXT GoFast flight data on this forum can be found here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125609-2004-CSXT-GoFast-Flight-Data

Chuck Rogers

Back