Level 2 Achieved!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caruolo

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Finally had the time to write up a post on my L2 certification, which happened at Mudrock in Black Rock Desert in June of this year. The build thread can be found here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?124380-HyperLoc-1600-L2-Build-Thread

I started prep Saturday morning, and launched around noon. Everything went perfectly as planned, drogue/main deployed perfectly, the MK II went up perfectly straight, video footage came out great, and it had very minimal damage from landing. I'd like to say thanks to all those who helped me out and gave me advice; James Flenner for certifying me and providing me with advice last minute, Gene Engelgau, David Raimondi, Charlie Wittman, Ken Biba, and TRF in general for any and all advice I received!

Here's the launch footage (I recommend watching in HD):
[video=youtube;-HlmYAnSh78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HlmYAnSh78[/video]

Time for my 38mm 20K flight, 54mm 40K flight, and then my L3!

Alexis Thoeny

Last edited:
my L2 certification, happened at Mudrock in Black Rock Desert in June of this year
Time for my 38mm 20K flight, 54mm 40K flight, and then my L3!

Alexis Thoeny

Alexis - Nice job, and extra kudos for adding video to your L2 to share with everyone...it's great experience for us noobs to ride along with you!! Best wishes on that L3 project =)

Thank you for all the kind words!

Alexis - Nice job, and extra kudos for adding video to your L2 to share with everyone...it's great experience for us noobs to ride along with you!! Best wishes on that L3 project =)

Yeah I was specifically proud of the footage I got, because it was the first time I integrated video into any of my rockets. Although it would be nice to have a higher altitude flight :D

Glad you got to fly it, I remember watching your build - Great Job!

What did you use to mount the 808 camera

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Did you sand it down and paint it to match and did you just screw it on or epoxy it or both

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

I just screwed it on, and since the paint on the rocket body was sort of a sparkly grey, it didn't matter much.

Thanks everyone for congratulating me! :rolleyes:

Hey,, congratulations Alexis...
You've sure got some serious flights ahead of you...
Good luck....

Teddy

Way to go ! Congratulations ! :clap:

Watch out 20k ... Alexis is coming for you !

Kenny

Thanks again! :]

Teddy; I actually already reached 18K with that 38mm J1000 flight, and probably could have reached 20K with a polished surface and a tailcone :wink:

Not to make things too exciting, but I have a goal of reaching 100K (Hopefully single stage) by the end of my 4 years of studying Aerospace Engineering (I just started freshman year today!) :D

Awesome. How did you mount the GoPro inside?

Edit: Whoops, just saw the link to your build thread. I will look there, first.

Thanks again! :]

Teddy; I actually already reached 18K with that 38mm J1000 flight, and probably could have reached 20K with a polished surface and a tailcone :wink:

Not to make things too exciting, but I have a goal of reaching 100K (Hopefully single stage) by the end of my 4 years of studying Aerospace Engineering (I just started freshman year today!) :D

Wow,,,
Now that one heck of a serious goal...
You have to promise to keep us here on TRF abreast as you progress with that...
18K ,, man,, that's an incredible in and of itself...
And yet again,,, on a J motor,,, that's just insane...
All the best to you Alexis...
Don't ever forget,,
you can have or do anything you want,, you just have to be willing to put in the effort......

You're future's so bright you have to wear shades Alexis.....

Teddy

Back