Madcow Level-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azizi

Reaction score
Anyone fly one of these? I'm looking to buy it so I could use some tips.

Welcome to the TRA Forum!

You can't go wrong with a Madcow kit, they're complete, easy to build and fly straight up. I usually upgrade the shock cord to Kevlar for HPR's.
Good luck with your build...

I did my lv1 and lv2 on this kit. It flew well on both, I would definitely recommend it.

Mad cow makes great kits. I have several. If you want to inject internal fillets you will need to get an additional centering ring. I inject the internal fillets on all my fiberglass rockets. It's probably heavier, but I'm confident it's stronger than trying to use a stick to make internal fillets. And lots less messy.

Joe

I built this as noted above and it is one of my favorite rockets. The long body and fin shape give it a sleek look. The 54mm motor tube is really the perfect choice for the rocket. And, the price is quite reasonable for an almost complete fiberglass rocket.

Thanks. I'm looking to fly this rocket on a CTI Pro54 1G I218 for my L-1 cert and a CTI Pro54 6GXL for my L-2 cert. If I get it, I will certainly do a build thread. But first, I need to know that motor will this go the highest on. Obviously, one of the CTI Pro54 6GXL L reloads would send it above 10,000 ft, but I don't know which one will send it the highest. Some simulations would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

I was looking to get my L-2 Cert on a Sirius Saturn V (Quaranta's build thread got me hooked!) but sadly, it is too much.

Last edited:
Apogee has a huge video library for building rockets. Great stuff for first hpr builds. You will certainly have great support for your build. I learned a ton from the Apogee video library.

There's no reason to do any upgrades to the recovery system aka shock cord. Its high quality one piece 9/16 nylon. Get a shock cord protector and stay away from the Kevlar. Save your money and buy something else..... like paint or glue or Nomex blanket. Also you can use wood glue as your adhesive through out the build. The only time I would consider epoxy is for the forward center ring when sliding into air frame and any tube couplers. Wood glue can lock these items up quickly. Build light fly high....

There's no reason to do any upgrades to the recovery system aka shock cord. Its high quality one piece 9/16 nylon. Get a shock cord protector and stay away from the Kevlar. Save your money and buy something else..... like paint or glue or Nomex blanket. Also you can use wood glue as your adhesive through out the build. The only time I would consider epoxy is for the forward center ring when sliding into air frame and any tube couplers. Wood glue can lock these items up quickly. Build light fly high....

All good advice except the wood glue. This is a fiberglass rocket. The kit includes most of the things that you need. If you start replacing items, which is your right, you can look for a cheaper, more basic kit and add the exact features that you like. I used 9/16 nylon on my LOC IV and Nike Smoke.

Exactly! Might be slow coming off the pad. I'd feel safer with at least 50 fps guide velocity. You won't get it with that motor.

Well, I want to do L-1 and L-2 with this rocket since my limited budget won't allow me to get another rocket. But I will take TVM's recommendations into mind and use a long rail.

Instead of a long rail, how about a I445? Still the CTI 54 1G case. Or adapt down to 38mm and look at the various offerings in the CTI Pro38 4-5G cases.

Or go crazy with a Loki I405.

Umm...can somebody help me with this thing? :eek: I went ahead and opened it and the computer asked me which program I wanted to use to open it. I clicked the "browse" button, chose Open Rocket, and then it went back to the original page. Without thinking, I (stupidly) clicked OK with out choosing Open Rocket on the first page and the whole thing closed without opening anything. I know that I should have chose to open OR on the first page, but when I tried to open the file again, it didn't open! Once more, whenever I clicked the side button, the whole thing closed!

All good advice except the wood glue. This is a fiberglass rocket. The kit includes most of the things that you need. If you start replacing items, which is your right, you can look for a cheaper, more basic kit and add the exact features that you like. I used 9/16 nylon on my LOC IV and Nike Smoke.

I'm sorry I was thinking of the Torrent?

Anyone fly one of these? I'm looking to buy it so I could use some tips.

Yes I have flown one. I used t to get my L1 and L2. It's a great kit and comes with (almost) everything needed to get it flying as a dual deploy model.

My only suggestion is get a longer shock cord for the fin can to av-bay. I punched a hole in my nose cone because the supplied shock cords were too similar in length. The hole was repaired, and the shock cords replaced, and my L2 was achieved the following launch using a CTI K740. This kit will also fit a 5 and 6 grain casing. If you plan on flying 6XL, then make a 4" or so extension to the fin can.

Back