Syringe Source(s) - Epoxy Injecting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Where is a good source or sources for obtaining syringes that can be used for injecting epoxy into hard to reach areas like fin cans etc? And maybe some epoxy putty sources for filling in the holes used for injecting?

Tractor Supply (in their equine section).

I give the local Tractor Supply a go for some syringes, thanks!

I use these for injecting. They can be found on ebay and Amazon. I was able to get them from a local pharmacy as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoject-4...433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336d0f1e1

I have used Fixit-Putty for filling holes. Apogee sells it but do a search & you'll find more options.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Epoxy_Clay/FIXIT_Epoxy_Clay

Thanks for the Fixit advice; I ordered a pound of the stuff from a Arts and Craft store.

I get mine from Glue Products Plus in WPB, they sell everything needed for the Rocketeer.

Target/Walmart.... ask behind the pharmacy counter. They'll normally give you a handfull for free.

I use oral syringes intended for baby medicine. Just sick a bamboo skewer down the tip (and let the dregs cure) for easy cleanup

I do not have the syringes yet, but I did received my Fixit Compound...

IMG_8718_zpsfxdjqdwb.jpg

I get mine at Farm and Fleet, most ag stores have them equine section.

Father in law that lives with us needed IV antibiotics for a while. I kept all of the Heparin syringes in a couple plastic bags--should be many years worth.

My son works for a medical supply company. He brought home several bags of rejects. I use one and throw it away. I've given away scores of them. Anyone who comes to Hellfire Thursday through Saturday can stop by my EZ Up and get a handful.

Joe

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will head off to Tractor Supply later today, and pick up some syringes for my projects. I figure I only need a dozen or so to fill the job for my current builds.

Back from Tractor Supply, where I picked up (3) six packs of 6cc syringes. Not having ever needed them before, I thought a $1.99 per 6 was a good deal, so I picked up a total of 18 for my use. Thanks again for everyone's help.

6cc%20Syringes_zpsiyush3dr.jpg

I remember some 15 years ago trying to shoot Bob Smith Systems 30-min epoxy (1:1) with a syringe, and that stuffed heated up fast and cured in 30-seconds. The confined spaced really sped up the curing process... I won't be using Bob Smith on any of these upcoming builds, but can I expect similar results from a 3:1 epoxy like US Composites?

I've used West System 105/205 with chopped carbon fiber & had plenty of time. Probably close to an hour of working time. US Composites should be similar.

What about JB Weld? Has this been tried in a syringe? It is quite viscous, so I thought I would inject directly through the fin slot onto the motor mount for fin installation...

Thickest epoxy I ever injected was Aeropoxy 6209. You have to scoup it in the syringe but it will work.

I would think JB Weld would be OK in a syringe. It has a long enough cure time that you shouldn't run into a problem. I can see where 5 minute types would become a hot brick. I have used syringes with 30minute Hobby Lobby 1:1 without a problem. I use a generic 12cc curved tip similar to the Monoject 412. I grabbed a box of 50 from either Amazon or eBay. They work well for internal fillets with wood glue as well.

Make sure you have everything set up and ready before you mix the epoxy.
If you are worried about how it is going to go, mix up a batch and see. Worst thing that happens is you throw away a dollars worth of JB Weld, and learn something new.

Thanks T-Rex, I appreciate the feedback on the syringe/epoxy work times. I was curious about the JB Weld, as I need to inject it in a tight space, then drill & tap the cured bead in order to mount rail buttons. The area I will be working in does not have enough room for a threaded insert. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Back