Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice tank rbelknap. I've kept fish for years and have two tanks currently. Here is picture of the one my daughter and I keep. Not the best picture wise but the fish don't like to pose! Those are Red/ Blue Columbian Tetras (Hyphessobrycon colimbianus) and a Blue Paradise (Macropodus opercularis). Great to see your son making a commitment to the fish and learning about them. The Cardinal Tetras you have there aren't the easiest fish to keep. They need clean water so partial water changes are a good idea. Platty's are hardier and easier to keep. Hope it all works out well for you guys!

Great looking tank rbelknap! I love the blue color! I used to be seriously into aquariums and I do miss it so.

Also great digi pics! I would even hang that watercolor pic up on my wall. :)

One thing of note is to be careful about overfeeding...especially if the water is cloudy. From what I recall, cloudy water means there is more waste product (including dissolved uneaten food) than the current filtering system can handle. Cloudy water is often a sign of overfeeding and can overtax the filtering system and stress the fish. My :2: and best luck with the tank!

Thanks!

The cloudy tank was actually during the set-up, while we were getting it established. ("New Tank Syndrome") The tank has been clear since before we started populating it. Main issue for the tank right now is that the water in our area is very hard, and has a naturally high-ish pH. (tank is sitting right around 7.5) Something to keep an eye on. (I've learned almost as much about fish keeping as he has.)

I'd love to take credit for the tank decorations and layout, but that was all my son. Seems like he has a pretty good eye for it. (Although the blue background does sometimes make the tetras hard to spot.)

That's not even the best digital watercolor I've done of the tank so far.

Nice tank Derek! Love the sand...never had a chance to use sand since I often had gavel filters.

Just some background...
-My father loved aquarium fish, so I grew up having fish tanks as well
-I've had all sorts of tanks with the exception of brackish (never got around to it)
-In high school I had a cool tank full of all sorts of weird prehistoric looking fish including a giant pleco; African knife fish; loaches and various Polypteri (sp?) including a Polypterus Delhizi.
-Best freshwater tank I had was 55 gallon and I managed to breed Angelfish when articles said it can't be done.
-I eventually got a 55 gallon saltwater tank and had all sorts of marine fish including a porcupine pufferfish. The puff was very smart...would recognize me when I got home and act almost like a dog. It would see when I went to the fridge to get it's food and would spit water to knock the food out of my fingers waving it above the water. Unbelievable personality in a fish!

Gave up the tanks once I moved to a more rural area where there would often be power outages. Oh well, such is life.

Nice tank rbelknap. I've kept fish for years and have two tanks currently. Here is picture of the one my daughter and I keep. Not the best picture wise but the fish don't like to pose! Those are Red/ Blue Columbian Tetras (Hyphessobrycon colimbianus) and a Blue Paradise (Macropodus opercularis). Great to see your son making a commitment to the fish and learning about them. The Cardinal Tetras you have there aren't the easiest fish to keep. They need clean water so partial water changes are a good idea. Platty's are hardier and easier to keep. Hope it all works out well for you guys!

Thanks for the compliments. I'll pass them on to LittleKraken (my son) as well.

We've been doing partial water changes. (about 20% weekly) and we've been keeping an eye on water quality. So far no major issues, although the pH is still kind of high. Thinking about adding a piece of drift wood to the tank. I've heard that might help lower the pH.

So do people name their fish?

We've got Bob, Bob, and Bob; the tetras
Alicia; the Platy (this girl is on fire!)
and Gary; the snail.

Alternate names that have been considered:
"Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl" for the tetras
Katnis for the platy (in keeping with the "girl on fire" theme)
and "Waldo" for the snail. (since we's spend a ot of time asking "Where's Waldo?" instead of "Where's Gary?")

I wish I had more time and money to spend on other hobbies. You guys are making me think of other things I want to do!!

My 1/3 scale Fokker Triplane. 8' wing span. Zenoah G62cc gas engine. Built from plans.

WOW!! That's VERY impressive!

Thanks!

The cloudy tank was actually during the set-up, while we were getting it established. ("New Tank Syndrome") The tank has been clear since before we started populating it. Main issue for the tank right now is that the water in our area is very hard, and has a naturally high-ish pH. (tank is sitting right around 7.5) Something to keep an eye on. (I've learned almost as much about fish keeping as he has.)

I'd love to take credit for the tank decorations and layout, but that was all my son. Seems like he has a pretty good eye for it. (Although the blue background does sometimes make the tetras hard to spot.)

That's not even the best digital watercolor I've done of the tank so far.

Edit: Of course now that I'm looking more closely at that cloudy tank photo, you can see the 3 tetras in it... It did get cloudy a bit when we first added them, but cleared up pretty quickly (by the next morning IIRC)

Edit of the edit: why did I hit reply instead of edit? must be tired.

Here' a newish hobby that started around Christmas.

My youngest son has been enjoying "TANKED" on Hulu. He's been wanting to start a community tank of his own since last summer. He checked out beginner aquarium books from the library, asked us to take him to a fish/aquarium store so he could ask questions (and take notes!) We didn't really have room in our old apartment, but since we moved to a new house, he asked Santa for a fish tank.

He got a 10 gallon tank, and we set it up in the family room:
View attachment 280255

After letting the tank run for just over a week, he went to Petco and used the gift card he got in his stocking to buy 3 tetras.
View attachment 280256

View attachment 280257

One of them got stuck in the filter the first night. It was dead by morning. So I fished it out (heh, see what I did there?) and tossed it. We went back to the store because he wanted to ask the aquatics guy if it would be okay to introduce another fish right away, or if he should wait a couple of weeks. The aquatics guy said it would be ok - so we picked a sunset fire platy. The aquatics guy also threw in another tetra and a baby snail.
View attachment 280258

View attachment 280259

Another hobby I sometimes indulge in is digital photography, and manipulation: The tank has provided several opportunities for both:

A digital watercolor:
View attachment 280260

Attack of the Tetras:
View attachment 280261

Very nice, I love the Tetra Attack!

I used to keep Columbian Tetras, they are great fish, especially when they school together.

I am really into aquariums, probably even more than I am into rockets...

This is my son testing out the new 220 about five years ago.
tankcliff.jpg

The finished tank.
tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

An Oxydoras niger that outgrew his tank. He was on his way to the 11,000 gallon "Flooded Amazon" exhibit at the Oregon Zoo.
tankcat.jpg

Spawning Geophagus steindachneri.
tankredhump.jpg

One of my favorite Cichlids, Gymnogeophagus balzanii.
tankgymno.jpg

WOW! We have some very creative and interesting people on here!

I'm in airport and airshow management, so my career is as much fun as my hobbies:

NDF helicopter at the airport.
Huey Close.JPG

My airport is one of the top soaring locations in the world because of the mountain wave. The Perlan II glider is based here preparing to go to 90,000' (yes, 90,000 feet!).
Perlan Tow.JPG

At the airshow this year we hosted the Thunderbirds.
IMG_4473.JPG

You cannot have enough photos of the Thunderbirds.
IMG_5028.JPG

And yes, more Thunderbirds.
IMG_7494.JPG

By the way....the Thunderbirds will be back in 2017 for our airshow. :cool:

But I enjoy my hobbies also....rocketry being one of my favorites!

Flying. There is nothing better than flying.
Flying mid.jpg

Astrophotography in my observatory. I also do astronomy outreach and star parties for the community.
2012-11-01_12-34-38_350.jpg

Scuba diving. I was terrified of lakes & oceans, so in 2006 I took up scuba diving to conquer the fear. I'm a Master Scuba Diver now, and love diving!!!
Scuba Grenada.JPG

Shooting. I was a Combat Engineer in the Army for 10 years, and an armorer for a couple of those years, so I prefer the AR platform.
Gun Collection.jpg

And of course, my V-Rod. Riding the Harley is what I call "2-wheeled meditation."
Me on VRod with Mustang.jpg

I didn't post any rocketry photos, but that is my most extensive hobby. I have a room in my house dedicated to the rockets. :eyeroll:

Edit: Of course now that I'm looking more closely at that cloudy tank photo, you can see the 3 tetras in it... It did get cloudy a bit when we first added them, but cleared up pretty quickly (by the next morning IIRC)

Edit of the edit: why did I hit reply instead of edit? must be tired.

Nice looking tank, Robert. Be careful about Gary the snail. Some snail species reproduce like nothing you've ever seen. I think there are some loaches that eat snails, should you ever have the problem.

Nice looking roll-off roof observatory...what kind of scope lives there?

It's a 10" Meade LX-200R on a 10" concrete pier. I've got an Orion ST80 piggybacked as a guidescope, with an Orion Starfinder autoguider.

I can't really call it an observatory because it's too small to get around the scope for observing. It's an astrophotographyatory. :)

Built a few more cars to add to my slot car fleet. Having a lot of fun with the Friday night drag racers. There is a lot of good competition females included.

IMG_20160207_122520_717.jpg

had a decent arcade for a while, pinball focused, but it has seen better days

7047085597_e5146708f3_b.jpg

Ingress keeps me busy

24136334044_e7bfec33c7_z.jpg

we are LEGO crazy

24086394456_12b9e99240_c.jpg

Wife XMAX gift was a custom Poe's X-Wing in purple

One of my hobbies is ice racing. I have a 1982 IROC Camaro that I rebuilt in highschool for a new lease on life as an ice oval track racer.

Here are some of the tires we use:

Been a few years since I've been in town to do it though. :(

I enjoy making and using "Bushcraft" style knives. I was into it for a couple of years and was set up to anneal, harden and temper steel, but usually worked in 1075 or 1095 from Jantz Knifemaking Supply.
I made knives from files, older chainsaw bars and even from tines from old timey farm equipment/implements as found in sheds and local barns.
I miss it, but it was messy work and took up my livingroom worse than my rockets did, so I had to come back to reality.

SmallGameDressingKnife001.jpgMulticamKnife013.jpgNeckKnife2012002.jpgWESTERNBOWIERESTORATION003.jpgkkkkkkkkkkkkjhjj002.jpgKNIFEFORTRAV001.jpgG10CamoScales031.jpg
Favorite Knife.jpg

Last edited:
These are all WIP, I never did get around to taking finished shots.
MAV48.jpgMAV47.jpgMAV46.jpgMAV45.jpg

1950s Kit Master Coronation Class I'm building for the grandson.
Coro-33.jpg

Big Boy,for the grandson
Big-12.jpg

I perform in fursuit at local parades on behalf of Civil Air Patrol units. Also getting into morning formation at CAP Summer Encampment for flag-raising ceremonies--I salute and return salutes too.

Coyote  CRTC 2015a.jpg

SUNP0333.jpg

2015 Caro Parade Unit.jpg

looking at all of this we're all little boys at heart still.

[video=youtube;hHVdJVJJJ94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVdJVJJJ94&list=PLGUHlCAilJxQXPYNRyzlbkd7 u0gL5G3Aw&index=2[/video]

looking at all of this we're all little boys at heart still.

[video=youtube;hHVdJVJJJ94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVdJVJJJ94&list=PLGUHlCAilJxQXPYNRyzlbkd7 u0gL5G3Aw&index=2[/video]

I was going to reply to your hobby but I forgot it by now because I got stuck looking at other videos on YouTube autoplay.

Very nice, one the guns looks like the Mauser C96 from Star Wars.

That's almost exactly what it is. I need a metal shop to make a few final changes for it to be accurate to the screen prop.

[video=youtube;-cbtpQyXSYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbtpQyXSYg[/video]

In no particular order...
13_03B_UncleMarvel.jpg16 - SlightlyChewie.jpg16_02 - Marvels.jpg16_MermaidMan.jpg90-4Docs.jpgPhlashInTheNight.jpgreaperL.jpg

Admittedly, the "Slightly Chewie" suit was a store-bought contrivance, but I was the only one to do it, so Win.

I have an inexplicable obsession with cooking and taking photos of it. Like, 20-30,000 photos obsession.
8689758095_cf77cbe4c9.jpg
13459780525_e1b314538c.jpg

9227011478_fd6f747665.jpg
15097119318_c8bb481734.jpg

15579138876_c06dfe7b5e.jpg
14981637604_f560cf754a.jpg

Like many others, I'll point a camera at the sky every now and again. I'm quite terrible at this of course, but I still like it. Grabbed this of jupiter once....
And the obligatory moon shot...
5025588102_c9ba704db7_z.jpg
5025588446_3852a0b0ab.jpg

I enjoy all things that take trees apart....

5402715260_db14f04168_z.jpg
8410185340_2736d74d15_z.jpg

5374424184_dc3dcdfd96.jpg
5270609928_e0728768df.jpg

And of course....this :)
8481452885_634e98f800_z.jpg

Little bit of riding....
11219590_10153516824800856_5690451758219909794_n.jpg

5587203086_01eede3538.jpg
5885130653_dc425e98f3.jpg

little bit of sailing....
11745404_10205185158215268_2366756293114640064_n.jpg

Last edited:
Since I can't build a Terrordactyl right now, I built a dimorphodon. Pattern is my own creation.

P1070861.jpg

P1070862.jpg

I plan on adding teeth as soon as I can

Last edited:
Back