Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that Gee Bee is awesome. Hopefully it fairs better than the original R-2. Or the R-1, or the subsequent combined ship, or even the Gee Bee Z for that matter... :eyepop:

Hi Gary,

Thanks. Yes, I call it my Aero-Space room. Room to work on at least one airplane and a couple of rockets......depending on size.

Holy cow Joe! Very nice; and I am going to 'assume' that the Gee Bee is in the new rocket room?

Ah, a Gee Bee connoisseur.

Yes, this is actually going to be a model of Delmar Benjamin's R2 replica which proved to be much more successful than the originals.
for me this is the fourth in a series of ever larger Gee Bee's. Not a constant thing but built over a period of about thirty years. I keep going back to the design. I just love these stubby little guys. All of them have flown well. Ground handling after landing seems to be the only major issue. This one has exact scale landing gear and wheel pant operation. Hopefully that's the answer.

I've built three triplanes as well.

Wow, that Gee Bee is awesome. Hopefully it fairs better than the original R-2. Or the R-1, or the subsequent combined ship, or even the Gee Bee Z for that matter... :eyepop:

Don't have any pix handy, however biking and rowing are my two other passions.

I ride a CF Trek 77 hybrid (don't start on the whole drop bar thing - I do 100+ miles with a flat bar.)

I row indoors on a Concept2 - normally 6,000 to 15,000 meters in a workout.

I'm also into RC boats and helicopters.

My favorite boats are the Proboat Blackjack 24 and Shockwave 26. Both of these hit roughly 25+ MPH on a 3S lipo battery. I also have an Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours airboat that I converted to a brushless setup. Lots of fun.

The largest heli I currently have is the Blade 300 CFX. I'm slowly advancing past the hovering stage with that one.

I'm also into RC boats and helicopters.

My favorite boats are the Proboat Blackjack 24 and Shockwave 26. Both of these hit roughly 25+ MPH on a 3S lipo battery. I also have an Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours airboat that I converted to a brushless setup. Lots of fun.

The largest heli I currently have is the Blade 300 CFX. I'm slowly advancing past the hovering stage with that one.

Same here (helps to live on a lake - lol). My favorite boats are a MRP Miss Elam and an Aquacraft V24, but I do have the large and small Alligator boats. Also have been into RC helis for quite a while (25 years?) and I enjoy the smaller helis.

Besides RC airplanes and rocket gliders I run Vintage Military rifle/pistol matches twice a month....Here I am with a Czech VZ-52 rifle, and my VZ-61 pistol, I had a Czech theme that month....

VZ52.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

WP_20150723_002.jpg

WP_20150723_001.jpg

Last edited:
Firearms in general.

NRA Instructor
IL - CCL instructor
Hunter
Casual competitive shooting.

My reloading
IMG_2654.jpg

My boys
AR-15 Robbie.jpgAR-15 Matt cropped.jpg

Here's one of my woodwork projects...scroll work art where each part is a thin piece of wood you cut, stain and glue down. Love this stuff...too bad a bunch of it was destroyed in a basement water leak years ago.

DSC07062-2.jpg

Some firearms aficionados here! :D I also reload and have a 50cal Desert Eagle (have shot a full magazine before...not for the weak-at-heart). However that's a somewhat ugly beast. lol

Here is one of mine - Sig Trailside Competition (also have a customized Ruger MK2, MK3 and S&W Model 41, but will have to get a pic):

IMG_0563.jpg

The test shot disk is on the left...one hole at 75ft!
IMG_0562.jpg

Last edited:
Fun topic Ken. Man some of you are very talented!

The older I get the smaller my cars get... Sprint cars to ATVs to RC cars... Soon playing with matchbox cars. I'm still a gear head to my core.
My rockets are going the opposite direction though.

But I really enjoy having an RC track and the ability to fly rockets at my house.

No ATV pics on my phone, but here a couple ... We all love pics

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437612748.947408.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437612524.439929.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437612882.468542.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437612949.195215.jpg

Fun topic Ken. Man some of you are very talented!

The older I get the smaller my cars get... Sprint cars to ATVs to RC cars... Soon playing with matchbox cars. I'm still a gear head to my core.
My rockets are going the opposite direction though.

But I really enjoy having an RC track and the ability to fly rockets at my house.

Thanks Nick and agreed about the talent here! :)

When my wife married me, she knew one of my dreams was to have my own RC track, so we actually looked for a house with a big yard for a while. That didn't happen, but she knows when I retire, I want a lot of land. :wink:

You'll have to step through slot cars along the way. I've got a collection of 1/32 scale Scaletrix, Ninco, Carrera (and a few others) cars, though I've never had more than a basic figure-8 track set up due to space. I also have enough O-gauge locomotives & cars to make up 4 or 5 trains, but only put out (an elaborate) track set at Christmas time...

I'm quiet addicted to my scratch-built quadcopter.
I use it for fun flying, FPV, fixed mounted GoPro or with 3-axis gimbal.

QC_2015.07.16.jpg

As many I also fly RC planes / helicopters:

FunCub_1.jpg

I also do circuit racing (atm inactive) with my own race car:
(Very intensive and time consuming)

RCN_2010.09.19_A.jpg

RCN_2010.10.09_A.jpg

I have too many hobbies... Here's a few.

37" Northern Pike

Nature photography, Alaskan interior:

Frog @ Woods Canyon, AZ:

Lightning during monsoon, Phoenix, AZ:

Camping:

Amateur Prop Making:

Gun building/modifying:

Car building:

I'm quiet addicted to my scratch-built quadcopter.
I use it for fun flying, FPV, fixed mounted GoPro or with 3-axis gimbal.

QC_2015.07.16.jpg

As many I also fly RC planes / helicopters:

FunCub_1.jpg

I also do circuit racing (atm inactive) with my own race car:
(Very intensive and time consuming)

RCN_2010.09.19_A.jpg

RCN_2010.10.09_A.jpg

Wow that looks fun - actually looks like Nerburgring, what track is that?

Wow that looks fun - actually looks like Nerburgring, what track is that?

Very well spotted! It is the Nuerburgring Nordschleife, the most fantastic race track in the world and obviously my favorite.
Spa Francorchamps, Belgium would be my second favorite.

A couple of other pen turners here I see. That's awesome! I've been turning pens since 1999. Here is my latest. The kit is called the Vertex. It's a click style ballpoint, uses Parker refills, and has a gunmetal finish. The body is turned from acrylic acetate, and was polished with Micro Mesh.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

So many hobbies, so little to show for them. I like tinkering with electronics, but hardly ever do. I used to write computer programs for fun, but that's been decades. Haven't brewed any beer or mead in a handful of years. I play paper and pencil role playing games (because rocketry isn't nerdy enough) in theory, but hardly ever in fact. I write a little, mostly the sort of fiction we don't talk about on family forums, and that's been fallow for a decade or so. I plan to build a melting forge to try a little metal casting and alloy mixing, obviously haven't done any of that yet.

I don't get half the time for rockets that I'd like either, and when I do carve out some hobby time that's where it goes.

Sigh.

Like Tonimus and others, I have too many hobbies! Hey qquake - feeling better??

I am a professional musician, now part time (I've got the career-day job thing going), so it goes beyond the term "hobby". I play saxophone, guitar, sing a bit and dabble in bass and other instruments:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437671764.428017.jpg ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437671775.194615.jpg

I love Toyota trucks, camping and travel in general -- especially the NC mountains and Outer Banks. Here's my '94 4Runner out on Swan Beach in Corrolla, NC and our camp at Kiptopeke State Park:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437671915.890454.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437672107.223923.jpg

Fishing...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437671938.410566.jpg

Skiing...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437671950.765711.jpg

...and craft beer!!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1437672019.630345.jpg

I have a number of hobbies other than rocketry. Computer programming, since I was young, including most recently working on several games on facebook. Billiards, I started the billiard club at my college though I rarely get to play anymore. Electronics, again not enough time for this.

I also enjoy machining in any material, particularly CNC. I had a job for 2 years and still do side jobs, 3D modeling guitars then programming and running them on a 4 axis 5'x10' CNC wood router:

IMAG0038.jpg IMAG0122.jpg

Before the company closed down I designed and built myself this:

IMAG2382[1].jpg IMAG2383[1].jpg IMAG2384[1].jpg

I also build combat robots including a 340 lb monster with two 75 lb saw blades I built while I was in school and some 3 lb bots I still compete with:

IMG_0622.jpg IMG_9492.jpg IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0651.jpg

I also run the Chicago Robotic Combat Association and put on one of the best small robot combat competitions anywhere:

IMG_0626.jpg

Like Tonimus and others, I have too many hobbies! Hey qquake - feeling better??

Hey, thanks for asking! Not feeling much better, if any. Still got a lot going on. Hopefully, I'll be somewhat better after surgery next month.

Back