Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_20150330_17_47_30_Saved_Picture.jpg
My other "hobby" is bowfishing, when I can get out. Here's my 90# southern out on Chincoteague bay.

Like a lot of folks here, my hobby is RC. In fact I really only do RC rocketry for that matter.

Here is my latest RC plane, a BVM Super Bandit (not the ARF!) Many modifications, very quick.

FLIGHT TIME 11- 2015 078.JPGFLIGHT TIME 11- 2015 081.jpgFLIGHT TIME 11- 2015 089.jpg

Hey Matt! Long time man. Welcome. I've flown one of those.
JohnVH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I go hot and cold on hobbies.... too many to count!

In my younger years it was all physical... Tae-Kwon-Do, Triathlons, lot's and lot's of cycling.
then I moved on to speed; race cars, airplanes, motorcycles. Then came kids and it all went to **** :>

Now it's about the maker-revolution. Just like making things. Rockets, electronics, woodworking, metal work, often combing all of them. Just finished a Nixie tube clock based upon an instructables as a Christmas gift

nixie.jpg

Finished coding an automated drink maker based upon android (on github: https://github.com/alexzogh/barobot)

barobot.jpg

Built a flight simulator to keep my pilot's license current

flightsim.jpg

I've been working on a pancake CNC machine for my kids, based upon an idea I saw on kickstarter

pancake10.jpg

Finally, like others, i\I've been playing with woodworking. I guess the main difference is I've been using math derived designs and a CNC router or laser cutter. Made my wife a cnc carved butcher block cut out to the dimensions of our double sink. I just finished a chair in which I used slic3r, usually used to reduce a design to "slices" for 3d printing to create individual layers in wood for a chair.

mathchair.jpg

And, of course... rocketry which combines almost everything.

Hey... I found a photo of alexzogh.

most-interesting-man-in-the-world1.jpg

The Most Interesting Man on TRF.

Ouch... but I deserved it :smile:

Well, I for one think that you actually are a pretty interesting person. I took it as a serious (but funny) complement to you Alex, so I hope you do too. Besides, if you want to feel more humble, just post that video of your red ex motor (i.e. 7 second road flare) at MWP a few years ago :tongue:

Adrian

Last edited:
Finally found an airframe testbed for my Evolution 160 radial that will eventually power my Gee Bee R2 in post #29 of this thread. Here is a short video of the first run of the motor. It is way under propped in the video and I have gone up in diameter and pitch Now a 28x12 from a 27x10. Still needs more load I think. Still breaking it in.

[video=youtube;OUnxqQ8X6wI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUnxqQ8X6wI[/video]

Finally found an airframe testbed for my Evolution 160 radial that will eventually power my Gee Bee R2 in post #29 of this thread. Here is a short video of the first run of the motor. It is way under propped in the video and I have gone up in diameter and pitch Now a 28x12 from a 27x10. Still needs more load I think. Still breaking it in.

Wow! That's one sweet engine! Also I LOVE the R2...I think that's the only plane my wife likes enough to let me have a large scale RC version of it. :clap:

I do it all from
RC in many forms

guns of all kinds

to highend flashlights

repitles

build computers, drag cars, 1000+ hp motors and on and on.
The only way to tell a man from a boy is the price of his toys.

Love the reptile photos. I used to have quite a collection and spent a lot of time in the field studying local and regional herps. One of our favorite places was the Big Muddy in southern Illinois. There was such a wide variety of specimens that could be observed in one short hike.

OK, I've owned a few snakes, and taken pictures of lots of lizards, but I'm pretty sure I can't spell Herpetologist without spell checker. What the heck is this, a Christmas Chameleon?
IMG_20141117_180936.jpg

OK, I've owned a few snakes, and taken pictures of lots of lizards, but I'm pretty sure I can't spell Herpetologist without spell checker. What the heck is this, a Christmas Chameleon?

LOL!

From what I recall about Chameleons, they change color based on mood (or mating, which means they're in the mood ;)). Funny thing is that most people think Chameleons change color to blend in with their surroundings, which isn't true; however octopuses can, which isn't well known.

I think Chameleons are amazing for all the unusual things about them...their tongues are longer than their bodies and catching food by shooting it out...their eyes can point in separate directions...and those funny hands and feet! Now I feel like getting one. :)

Very cool stuff, guys. A lot of talent out there. Now for a woman's perspective. This is my latest creation. It is a cross stitch fractal, 24"x36", 105K individual stitches. Took me 4 1/2 years to complete.

Fractal on Wall.jpg

Very cool stuff, guys. A lot of talent out there. Now for a woman's perspective. This is my latest creation. It is a cross stitch fractal, 24"x36", 105K individual stitches. Took me 4 1/2 years to complete.

View attachment 277532

Beautiful!
I had to show this picture to my wife that does
Quilting and cross stitch and her reply was, Wow that's so beautiful!

This is my latest creation. It is a cross stitch fractal, 24"x36", 105K individual stitches. Took me 4 1/2 years to complete.

:clap:

Believe it or not, I tried cross-stitch for a bit...I really admired the impressive colors, patterns and textures. Would've liked to do the bigger projects, but as you've noted, they can take a long time. :wink:

Here's my first attempt at painting figures in this scale (as well as a horse!) from many years ago. I really enjoyed it; however I couldn't realistically pursue it since I was spending many, many hours cross-eyed...didn't like using a magnifying glass back then for some reason. This is an Airfix plastic kit and everything came in white plastic and it only cost me a few bucks (under $5 at the time).

2015-12-17%2012.57.33.jpg

2015-12-17%2013.00.53.jpg

He is a Ambilobe Panther Chameleon from a very great breeder. I would love for him to see a femaile just to see his colors really pop. He's very docile and never trys to get crazy. Out of all the reptiles I have ever had Panther Chameleons are by far the hardest to care for.

Been really cold in the shop but I will try to get some pics of some badass motors for you guys.
IMG_20141117_180936.jpg

Back