Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a time I used to love making traditional arrows and splicing feathers, dipping swirl paint etc. If I only had time to keep doing everything I've loved doing!
green_marbled.jpggrey_marbled.jpgkjcpurple_arrow.jpg

Here's my miniature cannon that fires .17 caliber bullets.

[video=youtube;yThwBvQtYaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThwBvQtYaU[/video]

Pretty cool Top!

Thanks.
It's all painted, but it makes use of an actual gun barrel and some titanium pieces I had gathered.
Very safe and fun, but a pain in the butt to clean properly afterwards to prevent corrosion.:)

Black powder? What kind of range?

Yes, BP Muzzleloader. Range, I imagine about 50 yards before the bullet is going slow enough to be considered less than lethal.
There is really no way to aim it accurately, so I sometimes just shoot it at a shaken up soda can or something like that from a few feet.
In that video, I'm just shooting it into the woods on the hill behind my house.
I'll have to get a Soda and make a better video, so you can see the miniaturized power factor.:wink:
I don't drink soda, but I do like to shoot at it.

Here it is when I first turned it down and bored the touch hole ready for testing, and a pic' of the bullets I make for it.

Last edited:
Yes, BP Muzzleloader. Range, I imagine about 50 yards before the bullet is going slow enough to be considered less than lethal.
There is really no way to aim it accurately, so I sometimes just shoot it at a shaken up soda can or something like that from a few feet.
In that video, I'm just shooting it into the woods on the hill behind my house.
I'll have to get a Soda and make a better video, so you can see the miniaturized power factor.:wink:
I don't drink soda, but I do like to shoot at it.

Here it is when I first turned it down and bored the touch hole ready for testing, and a pic' of the bullets I make for it.

Really nice work! I used to love shooting BP revolvers but the cleanup was worse than corrosive Russian ammo. Still a lot of fun!

Really nice work! I used to love shooting BP revolvers but the cleanup was worse than corrosive Russian ammo. Still a lot of fun!

Thanks.

Yeah, cleaning up properly is critical with stuff like this. Any pitting anywhere would mean it would have to be discarded or I'de have to fill it with lead and relegate it to shelf duty as a Bookcase decoration.
This is my most fired and durable cannon, even though it only gets shot about 5-10 times a year.
It's actually over on my bench right now awaiting inspection so I can play with it over the weekend and get a new video.

Last edited:
So... I'm also a chess nerd.
Wrote a book and everything. I'm obsessed with the beauty of well crafted chess sets, too. Below are some pics of just a few of my collection...
1) Vertical chess set that hangs on the wall next to my bookshelves
2) a new set I got on super discount, Zagreb pieces (my favorite) on black and white maple
3) handmade India pieces, on homemade board that I made with my dad
4) Zagreb pieces, 2.5" King, brown and maple board, for fancy traveling
5) Marble Staunton style pieces, gift from my folks
6) classic Staunton in 4"King, heirloom set
7) metal set, brass and copper, hand turned by a former student/player, made for his senior project, board signed by all that year's team. Lots of meaning there...
8) my personal tournament set. House of Staunton brand, Marshall style pieces, 3.75" king, on dark green vinyl board. Both board and pieces are longer production.
And I have a ton more, but those are the favorites...

1464545596849.jpg

1464545608836.jpg

1464545681807.jpg

1464545711062.jpg

1464545766157.jpg

1464545796095.jpg

1464545829497.jpg

1464545889326.jpg

I'm not sure I get to call this a hobby because I teach at a small prep school in the Adirondack mountains of northern NY and I also coach whitewater kayaking. Here are two sequences of running the last drop at the Flume on the West Branch of the Ausable.

IMG_3199.jpgIMG_3200.jpgIMG_3201.jpgIMG_3202.jpgIMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3330.jpgIMG_3331.jpgIMG_3332.jpgIMG_3333.jpg

Last edited:
I brew (hence the "brewer" in AlfaBrewer). Here's a Berliner Weisse I currently have on tap. It's a great summer beer.

DSCN1942.jpg

My wife really enjoys a new-ish hobby of mine. I bought a smoker earlier this year, and have gotten fairly decent.
DSCN1943.jpgDSCN1948.jpg

I make 'hard' cider and Perry, and brandies and sorghum whiskey.

We sell the oak, apple, cherry, and chestnut wood chips that are infused in our whiskey as part of the production. For brewing or smoking.

1 mile due north of the Bong launch area. Just sayin'

We sell the oak, apple, cherry, and chestnut wood chips that are infused in our whiskey as part of the production. For brewing or smoking.

Do you ship? I'm a few states away from you.

never heard of sorghum whiskey..I love sorghum on bisquits, one of the many things that made me Type 2 Diabetic.

Last edited:
Meh. I think people make more of the cleanup than it actually is so that they can keep the BP club "exclusive". :p

I usually clean my BP guns after every match; living in a brutally dry climate, I can get away with several days with no problems. Either way, they typically take less time to clean than my ARs, which get cleaned fairly regularly, or my 1911, which gets a bath once a year whether it needs it or not.

Two big parts of making BP easy to clean is 1) using real BP (easier said than done) and 2) use enough lube (keep yer off-color thoughts to yourselves, children!). :no:

In a fairly-typical 8-stage (one day) match, I'll shoot 40 rounds through each pistol, 80 rounds through the rifle, and ~30 rounds of shotgun. The shotgun is the "hardest" to clean, 'cause of the melted plastic crud that builds up (I usually use plastic wads). Cleanup involves shooting windex down both shotgun bores, and setting it aside. Two wet patches and a dry patch down the bore of each pistol (including the cylinders), and a good wipedown of the frame. Two wet patches and a dry down the bore of the rifle (the cartridge I shoot doesn't blow back into the action, so, good to go there). Shove a wadded up paper towel down each shotgun bore, get all the plastic snot out of there, then lube and reassemble everything. 4 guns, 30 minutes, and I'm good to go.

Seriously: if it took too long to clean up, I wouldn't do it, 'cause that's good drinking time I'm cutting in to ... :wink:

My 14yo daughter is quite an chenille stem artist...she recently made two based on the Yokai Watch cartoon...Kyubi (foreground) and Buhu (background). I was amazed at her skill!

2016-07-02%2009.54.57.jpg

Cartoon characters these are based on:
latest

latest

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A little hot for rocketry in the DFW area last Saturday, but I did get out to an RC seaplane fly in at a nice shady park on the edge of Lake Worth and did the first flights on my new 80" wingspan CL-415 from the CMP kit, with some mods and some custom vinyl markings. Weighs in at about 14 lbs, twin electric motors of about .46 glow power equivalent, running on two 5 cell 4200 mah lipos.

Always great fun to fly off the water on a nice day!

Last edited:
Fantastic Tom! I always wanted to build a seaplane but I was mostly into sailplanes and the thought of either landing or taking off from water just didn't add up.

Back