Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeus, what B-17 are you working on?

They named it the Champaign Lady. The plane is located in Urbana, Ohio, which is in Champaign County.

6235288728_ec2b04def4_b.jpg

The link below has are a lot more photos and some information on the progress that has been made over the years. I think we have been working on it for about 8 years and the latest estimate is that it will be another 10 years before it will fly.

https://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39580&hilit=seats

Glad to see that there is at least someone working on another. We used to have a -17G locally (the Fuddy Duddy), but when the National Warplane Museum fell on hard times, they sold their biggest attraction. I think I heard its in CA now. What's left of that group reformed into a somewhat smaller outfit, now their star attraction is a C-47. Its nice, but somewhat anti-climatic...

I would love to see a B-17C or D model fly.:cool:

Unfortunately the only D model left is "SWOOSE". Which hopefully will be restored to static, but that is a long story & a big SNAFU:facepalm:

Nice Job guys. I have never heard anyone do a 311 cover. Just happens to be my favorite group. Two lefties too? Looks like a lot of fun

Playing Axis&Allies Global 40 on a custom built board is a nice break on weekends with out a launch.

Axis&Allies 2.jpegaxis&allies.jpeg

I also like to brew high heat Belgian Ales with exotic yeasts but that is mouth candy.

I also enjoy building papercraft models such as this Birdmobile Osprey 1/1 scale (with German brown trout)...

This model (and others) are on loan to the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge where they are displayed in the gift shop.

:). Thanks. Been doing these pumpkins for 40 years now. My daughter is getting better than me even :)

Looking forward to our local pumpkin fests now!

I built both of these from plans I downloaded from the web.

The yellow and black one is called Mercury. It is an old timer from back in the day. I converted it to RC and electric power. It has a 90 inch wing span, weighs 8 pounds without batteries. Power is from a RimFire 60 and 5-cell 5Ah Lipo. Last week I road a thermal to over a 1000 feet. It is a super slow, majestic flying airplane.

The Red and White model is a 1/3 scale model of a Little Gem pylon racer from back in the 70's. It has a 68" wingspan, weighs 18 pounds and is powered by a DA50 gas engine. It is pretty fast and really responsive to controls. Wing is balsa sheeting over foam. Fuselage and tail is all balsa. The cowl is home made by laying fiberglass cloth over foam. The entire model is covered in light weight fiberglass cloth, sprayed with automotive primer and painted with rattle can Rust-Oleum.

Both of these models were just completed over the past two weeks.

John Boren

Littl Gem Complete.jpg

Littl Gem Complete 2.jpg

Mercury 1.jpg

Mercury 2.jpg

Gardening is a big part of my summer. Here is last night's harvest.

1441303593474.jpg

It's too hot to garden in Texas, I'm working in the Garden Center at Walmart and the heat is miserable.

Last edited:
English Morris Dancing:

MorrisKit.jpg

[video=youtube;8PNwnHyHAA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNwnHyHAA4[/video]

I am also a vocalist. This is one of the groups I sing with, shown here performing a favorite selection of mine. Bonus points if you can find me in the video!
https://youtu.be/CH3MGt91vaM

Just a few of my favorite passages and places. Extra credit if you know the tunes or locations (some are pretty easy).
Very nice playing, Jim. Well done!

0-60 MPH, Yes, 3gs, 0-100 MPH in 2 secs, g's flair off real quick once you make the shift to second gear. It carries the front wheel about 4" high until just over 100mph. Found an chassis and designed all the electrical system and engine. Did all the work myself. Love to tinker.

It has a stall-type clutch like a go kart. Push a button to hold the revs at 5500rpm while holding the throttle wide open. Release the button, revs go to 10,500 in about a second. OBTW, it has a full 5 speed auto, shifts via an air cylinder, can't let off with the 5 speed auto until you go to 5th or it will jam

Here is my latest woodworking project; I mounted my father's World War II medals. This is a work in progress as I am trying to figure out how to get the medals to line up. Right now they are pinned to the fabric, but that is not working very well.

My father was in Patton's Third Army and may have participated in the Battle of the Bulge. We have a photo of my father in Duren, Germany in December, 1944. Duren is about 100 miles north of Bastogne. My brother is looking for more info from the Army, but a lot of the records were destroyed in a fire.

So left to right:
Good Conduct Medal
American Campaign Medal
Europe-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
World War II Victory Medal
Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle bar
Honorable Discharge Lapel Pin ("The Ruptured Duck")
95th Infantry Division patch

MJ%20de%20Werd%20medals.jpg

Back