Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand-Tool Woodworking for me....DSCN2061.jpgLathe stand 1.jpg012.jpgFire Station Bed 3.jpg
Left to Right: Toy Curtis Jenny Aeroplane, Lathe stand (completely hand tool built) Pyrography clock, Fire station bunk bed/playhouse (yep, those bricks are all hand painted)

Retortec, I can't imagine working with watches. Helluva skill. And a sweet looking watch, too.

Trans Am's and Jeeps!
IMG_1580_2.jpg

Sweet Jeeez.....did you really articulate that front axle on the nose of the F Bod?

She wouldn't be smiling if I did that. I stacked a couple of big tires/wheels up behind it and rolled up on them. Hyjack does articulate well though.
IMG_0783-1.jpg

scorpion_wayco_1.jpg

She wouldn't be smiling if I did that. I stacked a couple of big tires/wheels up behind it and rolled up on them. Hyjack does articulate well though.
IMG_0783-1.jpg

scorpion_wayco_1.jpg

Glad to hear that Picture of the tire on the TransAm was staged, was going to start calling you Wacko.

Great pics!

BOB The big orange bus. 2WD with a little lift and peloquin rear differential.

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Trans Am's and Jeeps!
IMG_1580_2.jpg

I know I've seen this picture before Wayne but, it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face!:smile:

Hope to see you and, your wife at Airfest 2017, i REALLY missed out not going this year.
Neat and, daring project in the works.....shhhhhh!;)

Last edited:
Other arts and crafts.

Example:

If there's a way to post pictures from an iPad, that would help me a lot. The pic above... I copied from someone else's post. I made it... It's a long (medium length actually) story.

Last edited:
...If there's a way to post pictures from an iPad, that would help me a lot. The pic above... I copied from someone else's post. I made it... It's a long (medium length actually) story.

Go Advanced, Manage Attachments. Or use the app.

I do Tesla coils.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481686374.429658.jpg

Me shocking myself with my small spark-gap coil (the small one above):
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481686616.539557.jpg

And (in my opinion) the best picture I've ever taken:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481686794.884257.jpg
The discharge of my DRSSTC, ~400,000 volts.

Awesome pics and I have always wanted to build one. Would you be willing to share your plans?

Along with low power rocketry, I enjoy building aircraft models of Popsicle sticks from scratch....Enjoy!

US Army CH-47 Chinook Helo
USAF AWACS
USAF B-2 Stealth Bomber
USAF F-22 Falcon Stealth Fighter
1917 Fokker Red Baron
USAF ST-71 Blackbird Spy Plane
Circa 1930's Crop Duster
Cessna Trainer

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481693828.702088.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481693841.564155.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481693856.147960.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481693871.394343.jpg

Awesome pics and I have always wanted to build one. Would you be willing to share your plans?

I don't really have written plans for either coil, but I do have a lot of helpful resources for anyone that's interested.

Plus I think it is more beneficial to the builder to design their own so they understand every part. Maybe not the details of how they all work together (that comes with time) but the roles each component plays and how changing specs/tuning works to produce a different output.

I will give a few suggestions for a first coil:

1. Your first coil should be a spark-gap coil. They're simple and reliable compared to solid states.

2. You shouldn't be able to (seriously) hurt yourself on your first coil, so make it small. Learning that electricity can jump startling distances is best done with something harmless. Use a neon sign transformer rated at 30ma output.

Some resources. Also feel free to PM me with specific/in-depth questions.

A great overview:
https://www.teslacoildesign.com/design.html

Does most of the math:
https://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc/javatc.html

A lot of information on the specifics of operation:
https://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

And almost forgot, the high voltage forums:
https://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?13

Last edited:
I gotta say, that Tesla Coil thing looks pretty dang cool.....but one thing I just don't mess with is electricity. Just me though, we all draw our lines somewhere I guess. I'll do minor stuff around the house....wire a ceiling fan, fix a switch box, install a dimmer....but get beyond that and I call in an electrician. Not just for insurance reasons....electricity is something that can kill. I've been bit a few times by household current and it didn't do much more than piss me off, but man, when you're generating something that can arc across the room.....

I gotta say, that Tesla Coil thing looks pretty dang cool.....but one thing I just don't mess with is electricity. Just me though, we all draw our lines somewhere I guess. I'll do minor stuff around the house....wire a ceiling fan, fix a switch box, install a dimmer....but get beyond that and I call in an electrician. Not just for insurance reasons....electricity is something that can kill. I've been bit a few times by household current and it didn't do much more than piss me off, but man, when you're generating something that can arc across the room.....

Even I find myself a bit squeamish about working with house electricity... The danger of getting electrocuted is far higher than working with a coil.

That said, the danger with most coils is within the primary (low voltage side) circuit. Tesla coils exchange amperage for voltage, and its amperage that causes physiological problems. So the most likely shock (the discharge) from a coil will just tingle in the case of the small coil, or cause bad burns in the case of the larger. The primary circuit in the largest nears 800 amps peak. That will cause major problems. There is also a danger with capacitors in that one too. The smaller one is still pretty safe.

I've never been seriously shocked by a coil and I've worked with them for four years. It's a lot of fun, and sure scares the heck out of people:)

Even I find myself a bit squeamish about working with house electricity... The danger of getting electrocuted is far higher than working with a coil.

That said, the danger with most coils is within the primary (low voltage side) circuit. Tesla coils exchange amperage for voltage, and its amperage that causes physiological problems. So the most likely shock (the discharge) from a coil will just tingle in the case of the small coil, or cause bad burns in the case of the larger. The primary circuit in the largest nears 800 amps peak. That will cause major problems. There is also a danger with capacitors in that one too. The smaller one is still pretty safe.

I've never been seriously shocked by a coil and I've worked with them for four years. It's a lot of fun, and sure scares the heck out of people:)

Just so everyone knows, it only takes 100 milliAmperes, a tenth of an amp, to stop your heart. That's based on what the utility I used to work for teaches all of its electrical workers.
High voltage, if current limited, can be safe. Low enough voltage cannot push dangerous current levels through your body. House voltage absolutely can kill.

Steve Shannon

Back