East Bound and Down... Loading up and truck'n...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a real kick (in the A**) from that Eric

[video=youtube;2ZTmF0G116g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTmF0G116g[/video]

OK, today's news...

As of yesterday, I'm OFFICIALLY a graduate from Portland State University with a BA in Applied Linguistics and a TESOL certificate recipient. :grin:

My diploma has been requested early, and I should receive it by Tuesday next week.

Now all I have is the medical issues to get straightened out, and the visa paperwork done, and I'm ready to go if they are.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

LOL! Great video!

Congratulations on graduating and the TESOL, Jim! Awesome! I know you've been working hard and keeping eyes on the prize, and it's all about to pay off.

Well, I've got my work permit... now only the Visa is in the way (plus tickets). Looks like Mid-November is when I'll be...

[video=youtube;uHZJej98_T0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0[/video]

Update on this... Apparently the Work Permit wasn't quite finished. I had to have a criminal background check. Now that that's done, the next steps are:

1) getting an invitation to go from my employer (I've already signed the contract).

2) Getting a Work Visa notification (from them)

3) Getting the Work Visa (I need to fill out the paperwork once the other two steps are done)

4) Getting my luggage packed, and a plane ticket.

5) Getting there. Now it's looking more like I *MIGHT* be here for Thanksgiving, but then again, I might be gone by then.​

Got my Invitation letter today, and a package from China is waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow.

Looks like I'm a LOT closer to hopping on a plane.

感恩节快乐/感恩節快樂

I won't be having 火雞肉 (Translation: Fire Chicken Meat (Turkey)) in China for 感恩节 (Thanksgiving), but it's looking increasingly like I'll be having "Chinese Turkey" for Christmas.

[video=youtube;izsVhm_vs2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izsVhm_vs2I[/video]

Last edited:
Just watch out for the bones! Every kind of meat in China is chopped with the bones in it. I had a horribly sore mouth after eating frog soup in the Shanghai train station. The #$&% little bones kept stabbing me in the gums.

Seriously, good luck.

Just watch out for the bones! Every kind of meat in China is chopped with the bones in it. I had a horribly sore mouth after eating frog soup in the Shanghai train station. The #$&% little bones kept stabbing me in the gums.

Seriously, good luck.

Thanks for the warning... I think I'll need to skip anything with snake in it.

Thanks!

Well, I'm two steps closer today... I got my Visa application mailed off yesterday, and I was just informed of what my Christmas gift is... My Mom is buying my plane ticket to China. I don't think she's all that anxious for me to go (as in "Here you go... now get out of here), but she wants to help me succeed.

Thanks Mom!

Update: Somehow missed that I needed to include my passport... mailed that off overnight to the visa service center, and of course, USPS overnight only takes 4 days. Yup... Overnight service needs 96 hours :mad: Thank Heaven's I wasn't shipping live animals or medical transplant tissue.

The refund for the late delivery will only just cover the costs needed to expedite my Visa in time to leave on 12/16 (but not the increased airfare). Presuming no other F***USPS. I'm told that FedEx will be delivering my Visa on 12/14.

[video=youtube;Ykeh0EkEXnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykeh0EkEXnc[/video]

When I left from San francisco to go to Singapore I thought the flight would just cross the big pond well it didn't. They went up the coast to Alaska then across and flew off the china coast then to Japans coast to Korea short stop there then on into Singapore. What a long flight. Good luck on your venture.

對不起 我 的 中 文 不好 :)

What exactly are you going to be doing when you get there?

Well at least the "official" story anyway. So that if you or any of your I.M. Force are caught or killed the Secretary (and all the TRFer's) will disavow any knowledge of your actions. :wink:

And one more Cinaroc update please... for old times sake. :)

Last edited:
Somewhere in this I missed it...

What exactly are you going to be doing when you get there?

I'll be teaching English, and might be starting a rocketry club at the school I'll be teaching at (the principal already asked if I'd like to).

Well at least the "official" story anyway. So that if you or any of your I.M. Force are caught or killed the Secretary (and all the TRFer's) will disavow any knowledge of your actions. :wink:

And one more Cinaroc update please... for old times sake. :)

OK... I'll go update the CinerocDV thread.

我也是

[video=youtube;2XTBwvi0h2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XTBwvi0h2E[/video]

We watched that video in Chinese class a year or so ago and I still keep on singing it. It's my go-to response when I don't understand what someone says ;)

We watched that video in Chinese class a year or so ago and I still keep on singing it. It's my go-to response when I don't understand what someone says ;)

我明白。我經常唱自己。

Got this in my inbox today...

We thought you'd like to know that your Chinese Visa has been processed and issued. Your passport with visa have been sent back to you today as of 12/11/15 by FedEx Priority Overnight.

It's feeling a lot more real now... EEK! This is Really Happening... Finally!

Got my Passport back today... And I now have my Visa, and Tickets to China. This is VERY real now! Slightly longer than 5 years after the start of the journey. I leave Wednesday morning.

[video=youtube;f4hsC0nRvZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4hsC0nRvZM[/video]

^I will not be kissing any of you or presenting a wedding ring either. Maybe I'll find someone that I will give a wedding ring to, and I'll be happy to show that to you folks.

Last edited:
I'll be teaching English, and might be starting a rocketry club at the school I'll be teaching.

K'Tesh - I was just wondering if you'll be including the "here's how you launch a can of soda" in your curriculum :jaw: - your Bug Off was a hoot at Sheridan, truly one of a kind... You'll have lots to share with those lucky kids, and all of us at OROC and TRF wish you a safe and wonderful experience in your adventure!

Godspeed!!

K'Tesh - I was just wondering if you'll be including the "here's how you launch a can of soda" in your curriculum :jaw: - your Bug Off was a hoot at Sheridan, truly one of a kind... You'll have lots to share with those lucky kids, and all of us at OROC and TRF wish you a safe and wonderful experience in your adventure!

Godspeed!!

Thanks! I'm glad you liked my OFFl rocket... You're right THAT'S how you launch a can of soda!

All The Best!
Jim

Latest posts

Back