LARS (Wisconsin) Launch Site and Schedule

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just would like to inform my fellow Wisconsin flyers, that the Lakeshore Area Rocket Society (LARS) has just released their launch schedule for 2015. The club is fortunate enough to have gained the use of property located in the Town of Silica which is about 6 miles or so North of Fond du Lac. The current site has an active waiver to 8900AGL. Once the wheat comes off there is approx 180 acres of open farmland. Once the adjacent corn comes off there is forever. If you would like an alternative to Bong please email me at [email protected]. I'll send the schedule and some other specifics.

Looking forward to getting back to Silica later this summer/fall!

-Eric-

Guys its kind of hard for me to picture 180 acres so what size rockets would you say will work well for that site. I am sure sometimes rockets go in the corn. But just an idea would help out.
Thanks

180 acres is approximately 73 hectares, if that helps

:)

But Carl, what is the measure of recoverable rocket flying area???

In accordance with the waiver, rockets using L-motors have been launched. Depending on wind direction, corn maybe an issue but with tracking recovery is not an issue. Compared to Bong the corn is only a minor annoyance.

Guys its kind of hard for me to picture 180 acres so what size rockets would you say will work well for that site. I am sure sometimes rockets go in the corn. But just an idea would help out.
Thanks

There are 640 acres in a square mile. 180 acres is just a bit bigger than a "quarter-section" farm. (Four quarter section farms to a sq mile)

To get a better idea... look at the picture. The red line approximates a quarter section.

quartersquare.jpg

Back