Estes Mercury Redstone #1921

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Got back from my trip last night to find that Tower had done quite well with shipping my Redstone, and it had already arrived. I was about to start on my Secret Santa gift (a QCC Explorer), but this kit is what broke the straw that got me back into rocketry, and I've had it on backorder since March. Needless to say, I've been anxious to receive it. My summers usually get very busy so this might be a slow build on my part and I welcome others to participate with their progress and experiences as well.

20150719_062757.jpg

We're interested in seeing the decal sheet to see if the red color is really red.
I'm building this on my blog right now. Stop by before you assemble the capsule and tower.

We're interested in seeing the decal sheet to see if the red color is really red.
I'm building this on my blog right now. Stop by before you assemble the capsule and tower.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the decal issue...I have several of the reissue kits and I grabbed the one I'm building and see that 1) decals are slightly pink and 2) it has the MR7. :(

Estes is good with customer service, so if they have a newer/corrected set, they'll likely send it to you if you ask, but does anyone think the original MR7 decals are collectible? :)

Got back from my trip last night to find that Tower had done quite well with shipping my Redstone, and it had already arrived. I was about to start on my Secret Santa gift (a QCC Explorer), but this kit is what broke the straw that got me back into rocketry, and I've had it on backorder since March. Needless to say, I've been anxious to receive it. My summers usually get very busy so this might be a slow build on my part and I welcome others to participate with their progress and experiences as well.

Sorry to sidetrack a bit on post #3, but welcome back to the hobby Flyfalcons! I think you've jumped in at a great time...boy, the Redstone is quite a nice rocket and I think we're all very lucky that Estes chose to re-release it (I was looking at the old ones on Ebay last year and I'm very glad I waited and didn't buy one for $90+!). Plus there is much interest in it, so a bunch of good builds listed (Chris's is one of the best with lots of tips IMHO). Take your time and enjoy the build. :)

First order of business was to look over the instructions. There are two sets included and one set doesn't have any English, so dig deeper if you pull out the wrong one like I did. The paint guide is a bit misleading as it doesn't show the upper ring going all the way around and shows a lower white ring.

20150719_063228.jpg

20150719_065531.jpg

I'm going to start with the motor mount. The centering rings are thick card stock, laser cut, and lovely. My inner S&M side almost misses the old die-crunch parts. Almost.

20150719_111908.jpg

Motor mount was simple enough. I had a Redstone 25 years ago that I never finished; it had a two-piece body tube that I didn't like. So I'm glad to see this version has a one-piece body tube.

20150719_162910.jpg

Doing some fin work. Balsa parts are all laser cut and easy to work with.

20150719_151732.jpg

20150719_161941.jpg

20150719_201957.jpg

Getting the bits on. I'm going to grab a pair of pliers and pinch the motor hook down so the rocket will sit upright on its fins. Will let this stuff dry for a while, then I can add fillets seal the wood. The body tube spirals are tight so I'll just fill them with primer instead of my usual spackle.

20150720_114326.jpg

Those fins are more complex than I would've guessed in their multipart assembly. I've got one of these kits on the way, so I guess I'll know what to expect...

Getting the bits on. I'm going to grab a pair of pliers and pinch the motor hook down so the rocket will sit upright on its fins. Will let this stuff dry for a while, then I can add fillets seal the wood. The body tube spirals are tight so I'll just fill them with primer instead of my usual spackle.

Nice job on the fins. The #1921 instructions on the Estes web page show the old 2 piece airframe but I believe that the majority of construction steps are the same. Have they updated the instructions included with the kit Flyfalcons ? [edit] The picture in post #5 clearly shows that they are a new printing anyway.

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/001921_MERCURY_REDSTONE.pdf

BTW, unless the body tube spiral is very deep I'll wait on any filler until I get the first coat of primer on. Then it's easier for me to see and decide if filler is needed or primer only will do the job.

Last edited:
Those fins are more complex than I would've guessed in their multipart assembly. I've got one of these kits on the way, so I guess I'll know what to expect...

The fins are pretty easy. The individual parts are easy to shape, then they get glued together into a complicated whole.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look difficult. Just more to it than I would've guessed, more scale like.

Decals look the same as the previous Liberty Bell 7 version of the Redstone which I have built. That version has a 2 piece BT, and plastic motor mount assembly as well as 2 piece plastic thru the wall fins. This new version looks like the older Freedom 7 version which also had the standard motor mount and balsa fins. I still don't know why they have the capsule decals for Liberty Bell 7 as the rest of the decals and the capsule detail (hatch and round porthole window) are clearly Freedom 7 (MR7). My Mercury Atlas also has the same exact capsule as all these Redstone versions, that they never changed unless you go all the way back to the original Estes Mercury Redstone in the early 70's with the balsa capsule.

Glenn

Speaking of capsules, here's what mine looks like right now. Figured I'd assemble the red parts separate from the black parts, paint them separately, then join them afterward.

20150720_222257.jpg

First order of business was to look over the instructions. There are two sets included and one set doesn't have any English, so dig deeper if you pull out the wrong one like I did. The paint guide is a bit misleading as it doesn't show the upper ring going all the way around and shows a lower white ring.

The "upper ring" is actually a shadow caused by the gap between the tail unit and the center unit of the Redstone booster. Since the Redstone booster was basically a next generation V-2 (designed by Von Braun's team that wound up in the US), it shares similar features like the gap between fin unit and center unit (LOX/alcohol tanks) and turbine exhaust ports between the fins.

V-2

V2[1].jpg

Redstone

RedstoneFinTankJoint.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?55758-JSC-Mercury-Redstone

ballistic-missile-exploded-view.jpg

AFAIK, there was no "white ring" in either the MR-7 or MR-8 missions on the booster.

Greg

Got mine today! Looked at it, drooled on it, put it in the shop for later.....

Yeah that's my old crapstone. I'm going to try to rescue it. Here's the actual finished product. Getting off a flight now, will expand my thoughts later.

20150723_063248.jpg

20150723_063239.jpg

20150723_063231.jpg

20150723_063348.jpg

Okay, finally a minute to collect some thoughts before getting back to work. The Mercury Redstone has always been a rocket that I wish I had in my stable. I have no idea what went wrong in my last project, but considering I got that one after doing my old Saturn V, Saturn Ib, and Little Joe II, it reminds me of the T-shirt showing the human evolving, then de-evolving into a slumping creature at the keyboard...."Somewhere, something went horribly wrong". My guess as to that would be a combination of storage rash and an attempted spray painting in freezing conditions. Not pretty. Anyway, that's the back story on how this is one of my rockets that "got away" on me.

One day recently while browsing Tower for some parts for a new RC project, I noticed an ad for this re-release. At twenty bucks, this was my chance to make things right with the Redstone. Ordering that also got me motivated to bust out my old rockets and before I knew it, I had another project or two on order, I was going through my old rockets and getting them airworthy again, and I'm back in the game. Now through a combination of scouring Craigslist for deals, searching hobby shops for hidden treasures, and going nuts with the latest Estes July 4th sale, I have a wall full of kits to work on. It's ridiculous.

What got all this started, though, was the Redstone. So after months of waiting for Tower to get the "new batch" in stock, how do I feel about it? Well, I'm not sure. I should be more excited about it, and to be honest for what amounts to a fairly basic, inexpensive representation of the booster and capsule, it really does look great. I can't wait to see it go! If it really does only get up about 200' on a C engine, then it should be a nice, slow, awesome flight to watch, without much fear of losing it. Scale rockets blasting off at Vmax are just weird to me. Before flight though, it has to get finished, and after getting the last coat of paint done yesterday, I realized I didn't want to leave the house for a week without seeing the thing finished. So I woke up at 5:00am this morning to give myself an extra hour before work to do the decals. It was a good estimate too, as the decals did take an hour to do properly. The big wrap at the top was a little intimidating, but just like with other decals, going slow and carefully massaging any wrinkiles out during positioning results in a great look. I have a couple minor areas in the paint to touch up with a brush, and clear coat is still needed to protect the decals, but overall, it's a good-looking kit.

Here's the thing, though. The instructions flat-out suck. The errors in the decals from the first batch were not corrected. The capsule and tower parts were a pain to build and in some cases didn't fit together properly. I have enough model building experience to overcome certain issues, like figuring out my own way to build the capsule assembly, and a general know-how of building LPR kits to know how certain things are supposed to go, but the basic design of this kit has been out since before I was alive and you'd think Estes would be able to clarify or resolve some of these annoyances. To me, the full scale Mercury Redstone is a subject worth modeling right, and it really wouldn't have cost Estes much to cover little details like decal placement. When a friggen Fletcher sport kit can give you detailed measurements for decal placement, you'd think the Mercury Redstone would get the same treatment to help builders achieve a proper scale look. But, no. The instructions simply state, paraphrasing here "Yeah, uh, just look at the picture on the front of the bag and make the decals look like that". You're basically left to eyeball the placement of the decals and black/white fin paint roll pattern line. All in all, a bit disappointing in the manual department.

With all that said, I'm glad I got this rocket. My goal was simply to have a rocket that anyone would recognize as a Redstone, and that will look good at the field and in flight. In filling those objectives, this kit does a great job. I really am looking forward to flying it. If you're looking for better historic accuracy, exact scale detail, or a "modern standards" build, then there are other kits to choose from that would meet the requirement. I have a feeling I won't be able to fly this until a meet that I'm hoping to attend on August 15th, but I might try to sneak out for a test flight before then. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, as they were taken with my cell phone camera at 6:30 in the morning. I'll get some better shots after my trip, with better lighting and a better camera. Of course, I'll be getting video of the maiden as well. I hope everyone else has fun with their Redstone kits and it's good to see scale making a comeback with Estes.

I think it looks great! The new one I mean. ;)

Great job finishing it too...I built the capsule and then put it on the back burner since I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it in time for the monthly launch and that was 2 months ago. Also I agree about the instructions...seems Estes is trying to go cheap where ever they can nowadays and instruction errors seem to be more and more common.

Can't wait to see pics of it launched - Thanks for sharing this!

Some finish pics in better light with a better camera, after touching up some overspray with a brush and adding clear satin coat. Sorry, this forum software sucks, you'll have to tilt your head to the side.

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

Back