LDRS On Discovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can watch the full episode of LDRS in Potter from 2012? I never got to see that one.

Please and thank you!

Braden

Rocket Magazine did produce a DVD set from LDRS 31. You can still purchase a set from their website.
Cary and team had their special on Discovery. Most of their one hour special focused on the odd rocks being launched.
She really saw no value on the majority of what was being launched.
I DVR'd it, but haven't watched it since, and think I may have even erased it.
The best thing out of that is that the Discovery channel no longer participates at LDRS, which was our decision, not theirs, based on how disruptive they were to launch operations....

I had it on my TiVo. I'll have to check if I still have it on there. If so I can burn you a DVD.

I wonder if this is the one I saw a couple years ago. It was "entertaining" in a way, but focused on oddrocs to such a degree that it didn't really represent the hobby very well. I like seeing a flying tiki bar as much as the next guy, and it makes for "good TV," but there is a lot more to the hobby than was reflected in the show.

^^This^^

There was almost no content on what we refer to as "real rockets" Mind you, I like an asinine stunt with the best of them, however this was a complete focus on snowmobiles, grandfather clocks, TV sets, what have you.

That reminds me, I should look for the Discovery special from Argonia years ago. Yes, it was unbalanced and focused too much on the flying outhouse and the 100-mosquito pan launch and the two stage N that catoed, but if you watch closely, I'm there, and so are both my kids. Might be worth having just for the legacy factor. I very much doubt I'll ever get to LDRS again, but that would be proof I was there once, by God. Would have been nice (but not the image we want to portray) if they'd caught my Delta Clipper doing its Cruise Missile impression.

The best thing out of that is that the Discovery channel no longer participates at LDRS, which was our decision, not theirs, based on how disruptive they were to launch operations....

Curious.. Not knowing the whole story, but I've heard 'about' this. Any details? I'm assuming they had the launch Operations pause & wait numerous times so they could "get the shot" or had to do retakes, that they insisted on a certain launch order with only certain rockets on the pad, etc..

You looking for "Rocket Challenge" from LDRS is 2003? They're all on youtube:

[Youtube]dPQvNdKKAjw[/Youtube]

Braden

When I was there (in the mid 1990s), the film crews kept a very low profile, we rarely noticed them. I think it was before the in-your-face "Ice Road Truckers" mentality took over at Discovery. Of course, what finally aired was mostly the 1% that most people can't afford. But that's what entertainment is all about. I suppose if they showed it like it really is, it would only be us watching. I'll have to check YouTube and see if they have video going that far back.

Back