Egg Finder Build? HELP!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayouRat

Reaction score
I just got an Egg Finder kit. Anyone build one of these? Is there a build thread anywhere? What do I need to buy to build it? Soldering Iron? :facepalm:

Suggestions, Comments welcome. LOL!

I was hopping someone else had done a build thread too. I guess it will have to be me. :)

Stay Tuned!

You definitely need a soldering iron. I found the assembly instructions to be very clear/detailed, I don't think you'll need further instruction but several of us have built them so just post here if you have any questions. I've built 2 EF's, 2 RX's, an LCD and a TRS (this one is definitely the hardest of the bunch), with another EF waiting to be built to replace one I crashed in March. I'm going to make a few mods to this one, to have it auto-on instead of waiting for the button press (I'll toggle power with a featherweight magnetic switch), and to make it so that I can re-program the transmit frequency, I did something similar with one of the RX's as well so that I could match whatever frequency I set the TRS/LCD pair to and still get the GPS logs on my computer.

If you have never built an electronics kit like this you're gonna need some help and/or experience first. I'll be honest, the Eggfinder TX transmitter takes some skill to build, particularly for soldering the GPS module to the board. #1 you're gonna need the right tools... check the assembly instructions. There are some people offering assembly services if you don't feel comfortable taking this on, see https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ocketry-Products-Assembly&highlight=eggfinder . Jus_rockets' assembly pictures are better than the ones on the web site... particularly in relation to how the solder joints on the GPS module should look. I think he has a better camera than I do... :)

I need a better soldering iron then the one I have. I also need the third hand. Any good places to by soldering supplies?

Cris gives you enough solder to probably build 3 Eggfinders or more. I did not need any flux for the Quark. One thing I would have on hand is a good quality solder wick.
This is what Cris says about flux:
"Important note about using extra flux with this board: The solder that comes with the kit is
Kester 245, it uses a water-based “no-clean” flux. If you wish to use extra flux with the board,
it MUST be compatible. You want a liquid (not paste) water-based no-clean flux. Kester 951
is ideal, if you can get it. Chip-Quik sells little 2ml tubes for about $2 each (unfortunately they
sell them in 6-packs, you can’t just get one) which works very well. If you decide to add flux,
you must use only a tiny amount. One drop will suffice for the entire GPS module. DO NOT
use Rosin Core flux, or you will make a mess of the board and possibly damage components.
We have built many kits without using any additional flux without any issues, the board is pretinned
to make solder adhesion easier so in general you should not need to use additional flux."

You want the smallest tip you can find. I have built a bunch of these, RX,TX and attempted a TRX, then gave it to conman. All of mine but the TRX worked fine. I use this soldering iron:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000WT586/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It has a slightly curved version of the tip linked above, which is perfect for the GPS module.
Never used any flux, and the solder Cris sends is more than enough to build several units.

Last edited by a moderator:
These Youtube videos are good tutorial for soldering SMT components.

[video=youtube;J5Sb21qbpEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ[/video]
[video=youtube;fYz5nIHH0iY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY[/video]
[video=youtube;b9FC9fAlfQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FC9fAlfQE[/video]

Cris gives you enough solder to probably build 3 Eggfinders or more. I did not need any flux for the Quark. One thing I would have on hand is a good quality solder wick.
This is what Cris says about flux:
"Important note about using extra flux with this board: The solder that comes with the kit is
Kester 245, it uses a water-based “no-clean” flux. If you wish to use extra flux with the board,
it MUST be compatible. You want a liquid (not paste) water-based no-clean flux. Kester 951
is ideal, if you can get it. Chip-Quik sells little 2ml tubes for about $2 each (unfortunately they
sell them in 6-packs, you can’t just get one) which works very well. If you decide to add flux,
you must use only a tiny amount. One drop will suffice for the entire GPS module. DO NOT
use Rosin Core flux, or you will make a mess of the board and possibly damage components.
We have built many kits without using any additional flux without any issues, the board is pretinned
to make solder adhesion easier so in general you should not need to use additional flux."

Yes, I did read that. I was just wondering if anyone had to purchase extra flux for there build? What did you need the wick for? Cleaning up excess solder?

I just got an Egg Finder kit. Anyone build one of these? Is there a build thread anywhere? What do I need to buy to build it? Soldering Iron? :facepalm:

Suggestions, Comments welcome. LOL!

Whit,

Never fear. Don't listen to these misguided souls. Go here: https://eggassembly.webs.com/ and send it to Conner. Don't let these people turn you into a solder head.:gavel::grin:

In reality, I build in a square glass pyrex cake pan with a cheap small, and I mean small, soldering iron. Magnification is a necessity with good tweezers. But...... If you don't want to mess with it
have someone else build it. Kurt :wink:

I've already sent Conner an email. Very reasonable an much better then me fumbling around with a hot iron. LOL! His website is not working properly. It won't let you buy anything.

Yes, I did read that. I was just wondering if anyone had to purchase extra flux for there build? What did you need the wick for? Cleaning up excess solder?

I did not need any flux. A buddy of mine also built 2 eggfinders and he didn't need extra flux either.
The solder wick is needed in case you get excess solder on component or have to remove a component.

Funny, I already bought a bunch of soldering stuff from Amazon before I found Conner's site. Oh well I guess I'll have it if I ever need it. LOL!

Funny, I already bought a bunch of soldering stuff from Amazon before I found Conner's site. Oh well I guess I'll have it if I ever need it. LOL!

What receiver did you get? I hope it was an LCD and unless you plan to be tied to a laptop, Bluetooth connectivity on the receive end is very helpful.
If you have B/T with the LCD receiver, if your Android tracking program craps out, you still can input the lat/long manually into a mapping GPS to take you to the position.
A cheap Garmin Legend can do that trick for you if you don't have an Android app you can call up.

I don't think you wasted any money for the soldering equipment in case you want to do some changes, add bluetooth, charging jacks etc. Search for some of the threads here.
Like this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...or-Eggtimer-Eggfinder&highlight=EggFinder+LCD Kurt

What receiver did you get? I hope it was an LCD and unless you plan to be tied to a laptop, Bluetooth connectivity on the receive end is very helpful.
If you have B/T with the LCD receiver, if your Android tracking program craps out, you still can input the lat/long manually into a mapping GPS to take you to the position.
A cheap Garmin Legend can do that trick for you if you don't have an Android app you can call up.

I don't think you wasted any money for the soldering equipment in case you want to do some changes, add bluetooth, charging jacks etc. Search for some of the threads here.
Like this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...or-Eggtimer-Eggfinder&highlight=EggFinder+LCD Kurt

I got the LCD receiver. I planned on manually entering the coordinates into the MotoX app on my iPhone. I did it that way with my Beeline GPS before I got a Blue Tooth TNC that now works with a Droid tablet. I also have an old Garmin handheld as a backup.

6909D3A5-6430-4791-B0BE-D06477FABDC4.jpg

I just got my EggFinder back from Conner and it works great! Thank you all for the help.

Need better pics (more)... How do you like the Eggfinder product line?

Look at the flight reports that have been posted. The response concerning recovery is to say the least outstandingly positive. Near 20,000' reports of packet reception. The big plus is no Ham license. I am licensed and I do track using the GPS/APRS mode also. One is giving up very little by using an EggFinder.

Only things I can think of is the 900Mhz frequencies won't give one the range for an extreme project and the EggFinder can't be used as primary data source
for an altitude record attempt. The Ham/APRS stuff is easier to integrate into a live map tracking system on a laptop or a handheld mapping GPS. That's it.
To find your rocket/investment for a sport flier it's an unbelievable piece of mind. You start sending stuff up out of sight and don't see any events whatsoever,
you'll be able to tell by your readout the drogue is out and if you blow the main at reasonable altitude, tell that the main is out even if you can't see it.
Navigate to the last known packet with a handheld receiver and if you don't see the rocket, you'll likely receive a new position packet to tell you were to go.....

Pick up the rocket and go fly the next one.

I realize RDF trackers are smaller but.............. Have a ballistic flight and a GPS tracker will likely get you some packets so you stand
a better chance of picking up the pieces or know where to dig. Use bearing only and unless one has a very tight lock on bearing or can see the thing hit, they won't stand as good a chance of finding the remains.

Now..... The Marshall Falconry folks have a super small GPS tracker out now: https://www.marshallradio.com/north-american-falconry-products/gps-systems Unfortunately ham band only so one has to have a Tech license but GPS tracking is getting smaller. Kurt

That's cool. But my droid tablet is terrible in the sunlight. I think I'll stick with the LCD display for now.

You can adjust the contrast on the LCD screen so it shows up real nice even in the bright sun.

That's cool. But my droid tablet is terrible in the sunlight. I think I'll stick with the LCD display for now.

I put one of those matte screen protectors on my 2013 Nexus 7 and took a small about 6" deep box that will hold the Nexus, auxillary OTG battery and either the EggFinder LCD or a 2m/70cm Handi-Talkie with a Mobilinkd TNC for APRS tracking.
I painted the inside of the box with flat black paint. Cut a finger hole for the thumb so it can be held with one hand. I find it works pretty doggone well out in the sun. I tried using a laptop in the past but found the sun really nixed that.
Stuffed that setup inside of a large, flat black painted box but it's a real PITA to setup. (Can get blowed over in the wind too!!) If I use a laptop, it's to record the flight with a rooftop antenna and I just set the thing to record on the inside of my vehicle. Don't bother to set it up outside in the open anymore. I use a handheld solution to go and track down the rocket. The Kenwood D72A connected to a Garmin mapping GPS is real sweet because it's easy to read the Garmin screen in the sun.

I suggest a backup plan if one is going to be primarily using GPS Rocket Locator. I've had some pairing issues at times but generally out of doors it's fine. That's were the EggFinder LCD is a smart solution. Can always input the
lat/long manually into a handheld mapping GPS. Many do that as the primary means of tracking but I tell you, it's nice when all that is done automatically with GPS Rocket Locator or when using an APRS method.

Also make very certain one is very well practiced at inputting coordinates by hand into a handheld mapping GPS. Make sure the units are correct!! Degrees/minutes/seconds? Degrees/decimal minutes? Decimal degrees?
It is imperative the units one inputs matches what the handheld mapping GPS expects. Most of the handheld GPS units can set the units in their setup utilities. Best to practice that before running out and expecting to track.
I've seen this error and it was very frustrating to the flier when he couldn't find his rocket. I fixed his wagon by telling him it just takes one $20.00 cable to his D72a and Garmin 60CsX both of which he already had.
One real happy camper after that.

I'm a big fan of the Egg Finder and really like that fact that people don't have to have a ham license anymore to be able to GPS track their rocket. I've known a few who gave up flying because they lost too many $$$$ out in the fields.

Now, if the Altus Metrum Tele-BT had a switch to decode APRS packets (https://shop.gag.com/ground-stations/telebt3.html) holee molee that would be something for Beeline GPS users. I velcroed mine to a 7 Element Yagi for use with a Tele-GPS and their fine Altos Droid mapping program. Their Tele-GPS also transmits an APRS packet along with their position data so it can also be tracked by any APRS ground station.
If a Ham/flier is already using an APRS station to track Beeline GPS units, they can use a Tele-GPS with their APRS receiving station. Advantage to the Tele-GPS is its ability to fit inside a 38mm nosecone. Kurt

I'll be doing an eggfinder build thread in a week or so, for those who may be interested. Basic eggfinder with the LCD receiver.
I do a wee bit of soldering at home, though it's 99.9% thru-hole stuff.

I just wish I could run them through my lines at work, dual Fuji CP6's followed by an IP3. I'd spend more time waiting for board transfers through the conveyors than actually placing parts.

-Hans

Back