Traveling on Planes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdubs

Reaction score
Im out in the midwest at the moment, but im returning to the east coast in a few weeks. Im going to call Southwest Airlines and check, but iwas curious what everyones experience has been traveling with rocket gear. I have a pArtial built rocket i may try putting in a box into one of my suitcases, but im assuming anything that has flown and has residue from the engines might tip off security devices and/or dogs. Your input is appreciated! I dont want to get tackled at the airport lol

jess

Airplanes are a hoax. It's impossible for them to fly under their own power.

Joking aside their was a recent thread on your topic. Search for TSA or security or airplane and it will likely turn up. Good info there.

I'm assuming anything that has flown and has residue from the engines might tip off security devices and/or dogs. Your input is appreciated! I dont want to get tackled at the airport lol

jess

Recently returned from international flight carrying a dual-deploy av-bay in carryon. Had been used many times and BP's had much black-powder residue.

I was the random TSA "pulled" from line & bomb sniffed, also went through same overseas coming back.

Both times no issue, I was told they are looking for compounds that could cause problems....not already burned ones that don't matter. So having an unflown engine of any type is many times more risker than a used one.

Made sense to me.

Thanks for the heads up Marc! I had searched before but just couldnt think of the right search to find anything, i will throw in the TSA part for sure!

Glad to hear that Blackjack! I appreciate the input!! I was going to ship the engines i have left to my home in massachusetts and try to geta few models in my luggage. I figured live engines would be a no no haha. I just want to get my babies home, even tho they are cheapies, they are special! Thanks again!

jess

Every time I visit the States I have rockets in my luggage. Biggest to date was my Level 1 Nike Smoke. My luggage occasionally gets opened and searched while in transit. I haven't had any issues of any kind.

Back