I'm labeled at work as a rocket nerd..:-(

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an English teacher and chess coach/chess author. No one called me nerd until they knew I'm into rockets. Now they want me to start a rocket club... And call me nerd. I'm okay with that. Everyone's got to have a thing. My thing is rocketry. Better that than gambling, drinking, strippers, etc. Sports do nothing for me. Why not? Build something that can fly thousands of feet in the air at hundreds of miles an hour? Yes sir. And at a fraction of the cost of building super fast cars...

Gambling drinking and strippers sound damn good to me...

Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post

I will meet you at any launch having these available. Heck, I'd prolly drive a few miles out of the way for it!

Exactly when and where is this launch?!

Lets just face it some people are very narrow minded and criticize others for what they do because they don't understand the complexity involved with building some of these projects. You know my ex girlfriend thought it was kind of nerdy until she went to a launch and realized that these aren't toys. Deep down she never cared what I did and I didn't care what she did and that's why we are no longer together.... I guess my point is this. Do whatever it is that makes you happy... at least you are seeing an end result for all your hard work. Each rocket you build you get better at what you do and its a fun and safe hobby where you can meet a lot of great people. Also rockets make great decor for the man cave when properly arranged.

Who cares about co-workers I would never consider them friends or acquaintances and keep them on a "need to know" basis.

Keep building and be proud of what you do....you everyone here as your friends and we are the ones who support you and will be there for you. That goes without saying

Last edited:
To the OP-Jerry- sorry we missed hooking up at ROC-let's try again soon.
Now-just imagine your work station is literally 10 feet from an Atlas rocket being built and your job is to provide work instructions to fabricate said bird. Also imagine if you are 'busted' sketching out your next scratch build in the back of an engineering log book. Now imagine the taunts you would get from the guys saying things like "You have a REAL one to play with and you still need TOYS??" Then just imagine the snarky smile of my face when I reply "Well, mine doesn't go as high or as fast, but I don't have to go to Florida to launch it AND I get it all back!" They knew I was a nerd when they hired me.

I am having visions of chrome launch rods and a glitter ball hanging from a tree branch.

I will meet you at any launch having these available. Heck, I'd prolly drive a few miles out of the way for it!

I would make airline and hotel reservations...

Exactly when and where is this launch?!

Midwest Power!!!
Just down the road 50 miles is one of the seediest strip clubs around. If you went inside with a cold sore, you'd be considered the epitome of health...

Adrian

Midwest Power!!!
Just down the road 50 miles is one of the seediest strip clubs around. If you went inside with a cold sore, you'd be considered the epitome of health...

Adrian

And the gambling comes in the form of betting you won't get hepatitis?

LOL! I can just see the notification now: Coming soon! GDS I-waiver to 1500'-no jacket required! Rockets optional. $50 cover..er... launch fee. Must be 21 years and older.

I'm gonna get a pool table and a stripper pole installed in my man cave and get all the women at the local bar that work there to come on over

This whole thread is quite beguiling to me. Most people that I talk to about my rockets outside of the rocketry community find it really cool and fascinating and want to come to the launches. Never once have I heard anyone call it "nerdy" and if they did, who really cares?

To the OP-Jerry- sorry we missed hooking up at ROC-let's try again soon.
Now-just imagine your work station is literally 10 feet from an Atlas rocket being built and your job is to provide work instructions to fabricate said bird. Also imagine if you are 'busted' sketching out your next scratch build in the back of an engineering log book. Now imagine the taunts you would get from the guys saying things like "You have a REAL one to play with and you still need TOYS??" Then just imagine the snarky smile of my face when I reply "Well, mine doesn't go as high or as fast, but I don't have to go to Florida to launch it AND I get it all back!" They knew I was a nerd when they hired me.
Hey..I was wondering if that was you that was wearing the fisherman beret that had the huge short rocket with the delayed ignition? I totally get your concept of the personal engineering sketch book. We will always want our OWN toys.

Those that criticize us for being in this hobby, only wish they had one. What do most other people do anyway? They walk around with their little techno crack devices and tap away at messages, or playing Candy Crush! YAY! Lotta hobby that is. My older brothers learned real quick why I still indulge in this hobby. They too, thought it was a kid's activity, until I told them about other people my age flying rockets 10,000' with all this electronic gear and such. And that, it's a craft. Not everybody gets it sure, but you do, and that's all that matters. I've even gotten snarky remarks from other rocketeers regarding my passion for LPR & MPR with no HPR ambition. Even THEY don't get it. Johnny said it best.

"You guys aren't rocketeers, you're modelers that like to fly rockets."
The hobbies for most people at my work are texting on I-phones and chatting on Facebook. What reward is there in that. I like to have something tangible after investing a lot of time and money into something. Most people view rocketry as the typical Walmart RTF standard engine cookie cutter style. Nobody knows about the skill level kits, big motors, computers, cameras, GPS, Rocket simulators, Etc.

Lets just face it some people are very narrow minded and criticize others for what they do because they don't understand the complexity involved with building some of these projects. You know my ex girlfriend thought it was kind of nerdy until she went to a launch and realized that these aren't toys. Deep down she never cared what I did and I didn't care what she did and that's why we are no longer together.... I guess my point is this. Do whatever it is that makes you happy... at least you are seeing an end result for all your hard work. Each rocket you build you get better at what you do and its a fun and safe hobby where you can meet a lot of great people. Also rockets make great decor for the man cave when properly arranged.

Who cares about co-workers I would never consider them friends or acquaintances and keep them on a "need to know" basis.

Keep building and be proud of what you do....you everyone here as your friends and we are the ones who support you and will be there for you. That goes without saying
I like rocketry because it brings back some of my best childhood memories back in the 70's and 80's. My brother died at the age of 18 and every time I buy/build and launch a rocket, my brother lives through me. It is comforting for me to build rockets, especially classic rockets that my brother and I built together, and shared laughter and ideas. It is my therapeutic time machine. I still have most of my brother's GI Joe dolls which I treasure most.
People play music to bring them to a time in their life that they treasure most. So if somebody tells me that my music sucks and that I should listen to theirs, I want to tell them that I wasn't spending the majority of the time in the back seat making out listening to YOUR music.

Last edited:
My wife calls me a rocket nerd and heck it doesn't bother me ;).
As far as work goes; just tell them, you have been called worse by better people.

Greg

My 10 year old daughter just asked me to teach her openrocket and solidworks.
Your daughter is very mature and intelligent for her age. I would be the luckiest dad and HAPPILY get started ASAP ..:) I remember still playing with toys in the sandbox at age 10 and my parent would have to yell for me to get my attention. Great bonding time to teach her something you BOTH enjoy.

Last edited:
As far as work goes; just tell them, you have been called worse by better people.
And those people meant it as a compliment.:)

All kidding aside, you're obviously suffering in a toxic environment that is affecting your health. I don't know anything else about your situation - job market in your field, financial commitments, your tolerance for risk, and so on - but I really urge you to at least consider changing jobs and finding one where your coworkers are grownups who respect one another. If I knew you better, I'd probably be urging more than just considering it; most people in your position would be well advised to quit, and give'm all a piece of your mind on the way out the door.

A new slogan!

Rocketry -- gambling, drinking and strippers!

Gambling -- Oh, man, I shouldn't have skimped on the BP. Please eject. Please EJECT!

Drinking -- It must be 95 out here. Somebody get me a water before I pass out!

Strippers -- Hand me the strippers. I don't have enough wire exposed to get a good bite from the alligator clips.

And those people meant it as a compliment.:)

All kidding aside, you're obviously suffering in a toxic environment that is affecting your health. I don't know anything else about your situation - job market in your field, financial commitments, your tolerance for risk, and so on - but I really urge you to at least consider changing jobs and finding one where your coworkers are grownups who respect one another. If I knew you better, I'd probably be urging more than just considering it; most people in your position would be well advised to quit, and give'm all a piece of your mind on the way out the door.
I used to drive 75 miles one way to work, but now I am so close that I can ride a bicycle to work and at 4+ dollars per gallon of gas, I like where I'm at. I can be home in 5 minutes and take my lunch at home.

A new slogan!

Gambling -- Oh, man, I shouldn't have skimped on the BP. Please eject. Please EJECT!

Strippers -- Hand me the strippers. I don't have enough wire exposed to get a good bite from the alligator clips.
Very creative! I love it!

A new slogan!

Well great... this is exactly what I need to tell my parents... :p

My variant - "I have been called worse things by people I care a whole lot more about."

Seriously get your geek on, where your nerd-hood proudly. We rule the world and just let others think they do because the part they see as power we find boring.

My variant - "I have been called worse things by people I care a whole lot more about."

Seriously get your geek on, where your nerd-hood proudly. We rule the world and just let others think they do because the part they see as power we find boring.
I will set this variant in stone and use it for my secret weapon and use it on people I don't care about.

Hell, they've been calling me a rocket nerd for 50 years since elementary school... if I let it bug me I'd have given up rocketry a long time ago. It's just way too much fun...

Back