Q2G2 cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketjet787

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how to wire two Q2G2 igniters to fire at the same time. I have spent lots of time researching and testing and have yet to have success

Not hard at all each igniter has 2 wires. Twist one wire on one igniter to one wire on the other igniter. Do the same thing with the other pair. Hook each twisted pair to a launch controler clip and your set.
It works with 3-4 motor clusters. You will just have 3-4 wires on each twisted wire group. No need for cluster whips

Twist one pair igniter leads together, then do the same to the loose pair. attach one igniter launch clip to one twisted pair and the other clip to the other set. this is after you have installed G2Q2 's into your engines.

Ok I ried that and only one lit, then I untied them and tried the other and it lit si I must have done something wrong. Thanks for the help.

Twist one pair igniter leads together, then do the same to the loose pair. attach one igniter launch clip to one twisted pair and the other clip to the other set. this is after you have installed G2Q2 's into your engines.

This is how I'd do it.
The Q2G2 igniters are insulated so there isn't much chance of a short, even when twisting together the wires for a three engine cluster.
Be sure your clips are clean and your batteries are fresh. Best results for a cluster are with a 12 volt system.

Last edited:
This is how I'd do it.
The Q2G2 igniters are insulated so there isn't much chance of a short, even when twisting together the wires for a three engine cluster.
Be sure your clips are clean and your batteries are fresh. Best results for a cluster are with a 12 volt system.

OK I think that is whats wrong I'm using that Estes launch controller for "C" motors. The batteries are also far from fresh. I will try a 12 volt this time.

You need to make a cluster whip as the leads are to short. And it takes a bit more current to fire so you need a very good 12 volt source

I have found Q2G2 to be more reliable at igniting propellant than Estes igniters. You can cluster Ester igniters, though. If you have a voltmeter with a continuity check, check every igniter for continuity before wiring the igniters together.

igniter_01.jpg
You need to make a cluster whip as the leads are to short. And it takes a bit more current to fire so you need a very good 12 volt source
Or you can add extensions to the Estes igniters. But the advice about a good 12 volt source is important.

Ok thank you all for the help it looks like I might have time to fly tonight and I will test it out. :)

This is how I'd do it.

Here's a topic Chris and I completely agree!

Q2g2 Igniters are made in such a way and with long enough leads to allow simple twisting together of 2,3 or even 4 for a 4 motor cluster using simple 2 clip micro-clip lead from the controller as long as your usings a well charged 12Volt high amp/hr battery. Any motor cluster over 4 I'd still strongly recommend using a Relay igntion system with hard wired clip-whip and 12Volt High Amp/hr battery at the launcher.
One word of warning! don't try using the red plastic tube "Plugs" provided with Q2g2's I've seen many modelers have these fall out of the motor(s) at first motion causing other motors not to ignite because the Q2g2 wasn't in the nozzle when it lit. Instead use the old FP wadding ball & tape method of igniter installation with your Q2g2's to ensure they stay seated until lit.

The old 2amps/igniter rule of thumb for clustered igniters is still a good one to go by even though our Q2g2's require a good deal less then that. The more amps we can deliver to the igniters the quicker they can heat and react.

Personally I always use a relay igntions system when flying Clusters to up my chances of complete ignition success but the Q2g2 igniter has greatly helped reduce misfire chances.

Last edited:
The little red tubes have worked fine for me.

OK; I've done that also, I've walked across the street without looking sometimes, Run with scissors, etc.... We've both been LUCKY!

Point is the little red tubes do not have enough friction to keep the igniter in place during Clustered motor operations. I'm sure if you jam them in hard enough without damaging the pyrogen tip they might be ok most of the time and I'm sure they work perfectly fine in single motor models but as mentioned in the earlier post, I've seen quite a few failed cluster ignitions caused by these little red tubes failing to retain the igniter as the model starts to raise (first motion). All igniters burn, but one or more motors didn't lit because the igniter tip wasn't in the nozzle when it burned.
If we're looking for ways to ensure complete cluster ignition (which makes for Safe cluster motor flights)...Lets NOT do things that have a proven record of not working consistantly..
The old wadding ball & masking tape method is a much more secure method of holding Igniters against the propellant for clustered motor applications.

OK I think that is whats wrong I'm using that Estes launch controller for "C" motors. The batteries are also far from fresh. I will try a 12 volt this time.
Also, make sure your twists are nice and tight. I agree that a 12V system is probably best, but the Q2G2s are so easy to light that a 6V system is probably OK, as long as it's 4 D or C cells, not AAs. 6V can push enough current through the wires and igniters, but I wouldn't bet that AA cells can. A 6V motorcycle battery (if anybody makes those anymore) would be fine.

Also, make sure your twists are nice and tight. I agree that a 12V system is probably best, but the Q2G2s are so easy to light that a 6V system is probably OK, as long as it's 4 D or C cells, not AAs. 6V can push enough current through the wires and igniters, but I wouldn't bet that AA cells can. A 6V motorcycle battery (if anybody makes those anymore) would be fine.

I use a 12V sealed scooter battery. Not real expensive compared to a regular motorcycle battery. 6 amps will light most personal rockets including copperheads (if you still have any).

Back