Is This An Acceptable Signature?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
"Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

A signature does not have to be readable just recognisable. if that helps?

I think he meant to have on your forum posts, not written :) . And I'd say its one that would make people avoid you...

It's just my Signature on an Internet Forum.
Why does it eat you up so much is the more appropriate question?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are NOT out to get you!

It is appropriate if you're a believer in a coming zombie apocalypse...then it may actually be good advice. :wink:

I myself wouldn't do it since it can give more ammo for the MIB to take everything from you and lock you away.

"Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Reminds me of two related quote by Bujinkan Ninjutsu Soke Masaaki Hatsumi: "Only teach only 50% of what you know" and "Always be able to kill your students".

Hope you reconsider. Enjoy reading your posts. Dont let the folks that want to turn the world into a bland gray blob bum you out.

So there is currently another thread running on this forum that is trying to figure out how to involve more people into rocketry (especially young ones). At the same time as that thread is running we have a thread like this, running that just chased one of the biggest contributors of knowledge to this forum (in my opinion) away. TR has 7,529 posts on this forum in the past two years. That tells me he is truly interested in the hobby of rocketry, and to chase him off because a couple of words that show up at the bottom of his posts is simply rude. I don't think this is the way to attract new/ young blood into a hobby.

The better way to have dealt with this is to simply have sent him a PM ASKING about the meaning of his signature and informing him you don't like it.

As for TR I really hope you will return to share your knowledge in the near future.

Yes, BigRiJoe, that is an acceptable signature.

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

My Sig was modified by a Moderator, and while he was polite enough to tell me he changed it, it would have been more appropriate to simply PM me and tell me to remove it.
Instead, he took it upon himself to change a setting in my profile, and make my sig line what he felt was appropriate.
That is why I'm leaving here.
I'm not someone elses Politically Correct Representation of me, I AM me.

"I have modified your signature to "Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan." which is compliant to the policy.

Peace.

Bob Krech, TRF Administrator
"

Thanks a lot Bob, you've done a great service to the Rocketry Community.

By the way, I apologize Bob for telling you some mean things.
I don't actually feel that way about you, but changing my Sig Line instead of just getting rid of it really upset me.
Here's my public apology for the things I said in a rude PM.

I see this as the TRF mods openly taking an anti-military, anti-law enforcement stance. I was first introduced to the phrase from Top's signature line 20 years ago in basic training. It was re-introduced to me 10 years ago at my first law enforcement academy (and has been posted above my desk ever since). Then, three years ago, it was mentioned many times at my second law enforcement academy. Some of us have jobs that can get us killed, catch phrases like that can keep us mentally prepared, and therefore keep us alive. We don't have time to sit around and look for things to get offended about.

Welcome to the new Anti Public Safety Rocketry Forum!

civilian translation

Maintain your professionalism and decorum, but evaluate everyone you meet. Do not let yourself get caught off guard.

Don't go TOP, we have never talked, I respect you and appreciate your service for my FREEDOM,
also I enjoy reading your posts.

I agree with kyle, JJSR, Marc_G and TopRamen.

Moderator/Admins, instead of putting the historically significant quote "Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet" in his signature, would the censors still object if TopRamen rephrased it "I am polite. I am professional. I have a plan to kill everyone I meet?" That way his signature is simply stating a fact instead of appearing to tell others what they should do.

I never knew that was a historically significant quote...
I am really big on thanking our service men and women each and every chance I get..
I particularly love it when I get the chance to say a loud, proud public THANK YOU
to a vet from the 60's because they didn't seem to be as appreciated as the vet's from other eras..
I do not have a military or police background at all..
Because of no background I never knew in the least that quote had any significance to anyone or anything but Top..
I'm sorry,, I just didn't know...
If you read that quote / signature without any knowledge that it has any significance, it certainly seems quite strange to say the least..
I'll bet anything that Bob Krech didn't know of the historic significance either..
That seems a fairly easy call to make under these circumstances..
Everyone is taking big, ruff, gruff action here before they think things through...

Geezz,, just take it easy......

I am more then sure at this point the 2 directly involved feel bad enough...
How about you both just attribute this to a bad day and completely forget it ever happened....

Top,, you, for yourself,,
You enjoy this place immensely...
This place enjoy's you immensely...
This isn't any reason to leave here......

Teddy

Top don't let this get to you. Look at the guy who started this thread. He's to low to even come back and say anything about what he started here. He's nobody here like what you have accomplished here on the forums. Keep your head up and on point.

I never knew that was a historically significant quote...
I am really big on thanking our service men and women each and every chance I get..
I particularly love it when I get the chance to say a loud, proud public THANK YOU
to a vet from the 60's because they didn't seem to be as appreciated as the vet's from other eras..
I do not have a military or police background at all..
Because of no background I never knew in the least that quote had any significance to anyone or anything but Top..
I'm sorry,, I just didn't know...
If you read that quote / signature without any knowledge that it has any significance, it certainly seems quite strange to say the least..
I'll bet anything that Bob Krech didn't know of the historic significance either..
That seems a fairly easy call to make under these circumstances..
Everyone is taking big, ruff, gruff action here before they think things through...

Geezz,, just take it easy......

I am more then sure at this point the 2 directly involved feel bad enough...
How about you both just attribute this to a bad day and completely forget it ever happened....

Top,, you, for yourself,,
You enjoy this place immensely...
This place enjoy's you immensely...
This isn't any reason to leave here......

Teddy

Well said, Teddy. I completely agree.

I didn't know this was a historical quote or a phrase often used in the military or law enforcement. I actually had never even noticed the quote until this thread, but if I had, I probably would have assumed it was something our friend TopRamen had come up with on his own. Maybe the quote would not have agreed with how I go about my life, but it would not have bothered me.

I try to be tolerant of other people's worldview when it doesn't match my own. Everyone has had different life experiences and some are so far different from my own that I could never hope to truly understand. That is definitely the case for combat veterans. There is every reason to think veterans will see the world differently from civilians who have never served. I think Top's quote makes perfect sense from the military or law enforcement point of view ,especially when it is given the context of the article Top linked to. Most of us can get through life pretty well without looking at every other person as a potential adversary because we haven't been in the same situations as people in a war zone or cops called to a crime scene. It's a luxury that most of us get to see the world as a less threatening place, thanks to the work of the people who serve to keep it that way.

TR, I hope you let this thing go. In the big scheme of things, this incident is not worth getting too worked up over. I hope you come back. You are really good for this forum, and I think it is good for you too. Come on back my friend!

I didn't know the historical significance of the sigline but I assumed that it was something like that. In fact, I believe I understood the message and I am not bothered by it in the least. I am sorry to see TR go. I agree with him that a moderator should not alter his sigline. If it was to be altered at all, maybe **sigline altered by Moderator - contact for details** would have been more appropriate. That, along with a PM would have been better. Also, maybe the OP should have sent his question to a moderator instead of creating a fuss?

So, understanding the significance, if I put that as my sigline, what would happen now? Maybe if it was a sigline with the quote that shows its origins?
I don't want to run afoul of the mods but it is tempting to do it in support of TR.

If the words of the signature line are of concern of moderators in enforcing policies, it's quite possible adding a tag line indicating the context "as quoted by my drill instructor" (or some such) might make it less likely to be potentially offensive and thus more acceptable ?

Back