Old Estes Pro Series Jayhawk takes flight again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Here's another video I took from a launch a week ago. This is my old Pro Series Jayhawk flying on a D12-3. The kit is set up for E motors and I used an adapter to fly it with a D12-3. I was using an adapter from a newer E power kit and for some reason, the length of that adapter plus the D12 motor exceeded the length of the motor hook. Not sure why that is but I'm thinking the newer E motors must be slightly longer than the old Cobra E motors. Either way I'll be sure to use the original adapter next time. My memory is telling me that I flew this once before, 20 years ago, and the rocket went sideways on takeoff. So I've been scared of it since then. Does it go sideways again? Watch to find out.

[video=youtube;QZeDXzSxnK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZeDXzSxnK4[/video]

I ran into the same issue with my Jayhawk (flew as recently as LDRS) and my Pro Series Terrier Sandhawk. It was later that I figured out the length difference of the "E" casing. Now I fly them either on the D12-3 w/original adapter or on SU Aerotech 24mm motors.

JayHawks are notorious for windcocking because of all that wing surface area. about all you can do is use a long launch guide and a fairly high thrust motor to get the departure speed up(or launch in 'no wind' conditions). looks like you had a nice flight though.
Rex

Back