SO Excited!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormhawk31

Reaction score
Based on recommendations from this forum, I put in requests for "The Handbook of model rocketry", "The PVC rocket engine : a do-it-yourself guide for building a K450 PVC plastic rocket engine that will propel a rocket over 5000 feet", and ESPECIALLY "Modern high-power rocketry 2". I got them all in the past two days, and I'm excited to start reading this weekend. Since I got them through inter-library loan and only have them through the middle of August, I have to prioritize my reading. So, suggestions. What order do y'all recommend I read in?

Read Modern High-power Rocketry first. After that The Handbook of Model Rocketry kind of becomes redundant, but still worth a read if you have the time. I own both books, and they are well written and cover a lot of information. For your own safety please skip The PVC Rocket Engine. The description should probably read In just a few hours anyone can build a powerful PVC plastic pipe bomb. If you even get that far. PVC is a DANGEROUS material choice for a rocket motor casing. There are people on here that know how to make their own engines from scratch. None of them would recommend that you use PVC. SERIOUSLY, I don't want to see you get hurt. If you really do want to learn how to build motors someday, there is a path that you can and should follow. Learn the basics of rocket construction, launching and recovery first, using commercially manufactured, tested and certified motors. I highly recommend that you join one of the national organizations, and find a local club. Go to as many launches as you can, and talk to people. There is a lot to be learned from fellow flyers. You can also follow the process and get yourself certified by NAR or Tripoli. After you get your level 2, then you can join the restricted Research forum on here and talk about what we call Research motors.

Last edited:
The Handbook has a lot of basic rocket science -- equations, examples, definitions, etc. MHPR2 is hand-on, how to build, launch, recover, certify--but strictly HPR, no LPR or MPR mentioned.

I agree with Graduator 100%. Don't mess with PVC. There is a reason why NAR and TRA outlaw PVC motors, and both organizations are headed up by smart, experienced fliers who know what they're talking about. Another thing to consider about PVC is that it isn't sized for standard MMTs. So if you build a rocket sized for a PVC motor, then you won't be able to fly commercial motors in it.

Get certified TRA Level 2, and then you can legally and safely start making your own APCP motors, if that's what you want to do.

I agree 100% even the best experimental motor builders have a motor fail once in a while, and often it's of no fault of theirs because of an internal imperfection, and in a PVC case that would mean a pipe bomb and a lot of high speed shrapnel that an x-ray won't pick up.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I have to admit, the idea of a pvc rocket motor seemed a little sketchy to me. I just thought all the heat and pressure would be too much for pvc pipe. But, I've seen a lot of videos with people doing it successfully, so I thought, "What do I know? This is a brave new world, after all", and figured I'd get the book to see what people are doing to make it safe. But, with unanimous warnings, I think I'll go with my original gut instinct and skip the pvc. I'll start building my first rocket in years - a simple Estes model I picked up just to refamiliarize myself with the pieces and parts - this weekend. But I also bought/scavenged a whole mess of bits and pieces to scratch build my next one, which I'll start the instant the Estes is finished. I won't bore y'all with the Estes build, but I'll definitely share the scratch build as it's happening - especially since I think I'll have some questions for y'all.

find a club near you so you don't have to buy the ground support equipment (launchers, controllers). There will be people to mentor you as well. Not to mention a defined ceiling and the chance to fly high power legally.

Back